New thumbnails, watch out for the bloat.

tg626

My "thumbs" folder is already over 1.3 mb...

Damn, that's a serious bug, you'll soon need to use 2 floppy disks to back it up!

Actually I would have liked this feature from the beginning, at least I could have a look at my old stuff.

I deleted some older versions and saves without thinking about loosing my old first steps in the game - it is a bit like throwing away paintings from childhood, if not even photos! :wink:

floppy disks

You fossil! :wink::D

Damn, that's a serious bug, you'll soon need to use 2 floppy disks to back it up!

https://www.conrad.nl/nl/xlyne-144-mb-35-diskette-10-stuks-417512.html

So Squad is costing you 1.46 euro extra to do your backups! (ex shipping for those floppies) I would be furious!

As a software developer, I see this implementation as totally acceptable. It will overwrite thumbs when you use the same ship name again on the same save, so it's not generating endless amounts of thumbs. It only uses a fraction of the total space used by the game (0.1%) so who cares? It's not sloppy coding, it's smart to not spend too much effort on it, and instead put that effort in for example, making sure stuff does not add up in RAM.

So Squad is costing you 1.46 euro extra to do your backups! (ex shipping for those floppies) I would be furious!

Hmm, magnetic media from a company (the manufacturer/packager, not the vendor) who can't spell "disk" (short for diskette, and it has never, ever been disc)…

On the other hand, €1.46! I've literally got thousands of those somewhere, from brands that can spell the name of the product! I'm pretty sure I've got a box of 200 somewhere which were purchased to create an install set for one of the original Linux distributions in the mid 90s, and probably still have it on them.

As a software developer, I see this implementation as totally acceptable. It will overwrite thumbs when you use the same ship name again on the same save, so it's not generating endless amounts of thumbs. It only uses a fraction of the total space used by the game (0.1%) so who cares? It's not sloppy coding, it's smart to not spend too much effort on it, and instead put that effort in for example, making sure stuff does not add up in RAM.

Yeah, it's not growing rapidly every single time you play the game, nothing in-game is broken as a result of it, system stability is not threatened by it. It's the sort of bug that I could even see myself closing as an "undocumented feature" on a particularly lazy day. :wink:

Whoa, you can barely fit that onto a 3.5 floppy! That's a serious issue indeed!

Give him 10 years and it will be close to 300MB.

No matter how much space they take it's not nice if useless stuff starts gathering around so hopefully they'll do something about this at some point too. Not much of a priority tho.

I'm not so sure I'd call it a bug either, rather as I said a hallmark of a lack of forethought or as others said poor design. However, now that the term bug has been raised I think I will report it.

While we're on that subject (bug reporting) another thing I think squad has missed the mark on is providing a clear path to make such a bug report. I'll fully accept I might have missed it, heaven knows I sometimes can't find my own butt with both hands and a map, but if there's a directive on where to file a bug report I haven't seen/noticed it.

Of course it's a bug, just like everything you listed there. Lack of forethought can result in bugs, poor design can result in bugs. Both game breaking bugs, and minor ones like this.

And as far as accessibility for the bug tracker goes, if you have any intention of finding it, a simple search will suffice.

Quick, someone make a mod that displays your build history, based on the thumbnails.

It's a feature, not a bug :D

Yes, sounds to me this could be used as a feature too. If this is the case, the real problem is KSP's lack of on demand asset loading.

Very odd choice, but they're like 20kb each....why are we moaning...

Eating 20kb disk space,but they are 256x256 size PNG (!) textures wich eating +192kb memory.

I have 601 (playin with BDarmory,having lot of useless war designs) thumb now, 601*192 kb = 115392 kb.

I made a choice,deleted all the useless crafts and thumbs,and put a planet in the game instead.

OPM mod RuleZ!

Eating 20kb disk space,but they are 256x256 size PNG (!) textures wich eating +192kb memory.

I have 601 (playin with BDarmory,having lot of useless war designs) thumb now, 601*192 kb = 115392 kb.

I made a choice,deleted all the useless crafts and thumbs,and put a planet in the game instead.

OPM mod RuleZ!

Do you actually know, with 100% certainty, that the thumbnails are permanently loaded in memory? I see a pause when opening the load dialog box, which suggests to me that they are more likely being loaded on demand, only present in memory when the dialog is open. Sure, there's the well known issue of Unity not demand loading textures for 3D assets. These are not textures for 3D assets, so it's not reasonable to blindly assume that the issue extends to them. It's quite wrong to call these "textures", in my opinion.

I can't be certain either, but I'd be quite surprised if these thumbnails have any impact on memory usage, other than when the load dialog is open. Incidentally, it's not 192kB in the completely unpacked form for those images, it's 256kB for a 256x256 RGBA PNG, as there's the 8 bit alpha channel as well as the RGB channels. I don't believe that they will be keeping them around in RAM, unless someone can show some evidence that is actually happening?

Give him 10 years and it will be close to 300MB.

No matter how much space they take it's not nice if useless stuff starts gathering around so hopefully they'll do something about this at some point too. Not much of a priority tho.

I think my phone has more than an GB of junk, not add all the junk Sony preloaded.

The hard drive rule, its always cheaper to buy an new drive and copy all the old stuff to the new drive than trying to sort out the mess if you can do an minimum wage job to pay for the drive instead of sorting.

(yes you look at it after stuff who take up multiple GB and remove it, search for ISO and .AVI files)

I have three Morrowind installs, 9 years since I played the game.

h:\old d drive\div\old c drive\games\morrowind backup 2\

(the most surprising part is that chrome spell-check accept morrowind on this install)

- - - Updated - - -

If you still use floppy discs I recomend investing in your tech level hard so you can reach Neolithic level.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.