Tell your story. How did you get to KSP 1.0

Ival70

Which era's were you active in KSP (multiple choices allowed)  

930 members have voted

1. 1. Which era's were you active in KSP (multiple choices allowed)

I had made a thread asking whether Youtubers influenced the decision for people to get the game, and that made me wonder. When did you first hear about KSP, when did you get KSP, how active have you been since you got KSP, essentially, what is the story that got you here today to 1.0?

I suppose I'll start with my own.

I originally heard about KSP from a friend (who had the game since 0.7.3) who described it as "a game where you use rocket parts to design rockets and watch a simulation of their performance." To which I replied; "That sounds really stupid and boring, and unrealistic". Luckily for me, he eventually got around to actually showing me it, at which point I downloaded it immediately (this was in 2011, back when the game was free). I don't remember which version it was, though the atmosphere only extended to 35,000m or something.

I updated the game once in a blue moon, usually after several updates had been available, and each time I (now regretfully) deleted any previous version. Eventually the 13.3 demo came out, which I played for a few weeks, then mostly stopped playing the game. A couple of weeks after 1.8.3, I heard about the update and got the new demo, and made a forum account which I only made a couple of posts, and either forgot the username and password, or it was washed down the drain in the forum april shower.

I managed to actively play the demo (squeezing out every last drop of content) until June (I made airplanes, rovers, SSTO's, submarines, even replicas), at which point I decided that KSP had come far along enough that I was confident that they would finish the game (I procrastinated), and bought myself a full copy for 20$. Shortly after I made a new forum account, and in the years since, I have enjoyed being active in the community, following the progression of KSP.

Since then I have made at least 10 people buy them game, and I only wish I had bought it earlier (and hadn't deleted every version before 1.8.3). While I knew a lot of the mechanics to playing the game (how to get into orbit, change periapsis, etc.), the visual concepts, and hands on approach of KSP has vastly increased my fundamental understanding of how space works. Now hopefully, my all of our KSP stories will continue for a long time, with many more updates to come.

Thank you Squad for making something this awesome!

I got KSP shortly after it came to steam. Saw it pop up in the newly avalible section and got curious. Ended up runing accross some of scott manly's videos on KSP, liked what I saw and bought the game. One of the few early access purchases I havent regreted later.

I had fooled around with a couple of versions of Orbiter - someone told me about Kerbal Space - I went and had a look at the demo and when I finally got Jeb in orbit with the demo (after a few, um, rapid unscheduled disassemblies) I was hooked and bought 0.21 immediately.

A lot of famous youtubers introduced me to it (*cough* Scott Manley *cough*) around 0.19-0.21 and I just had to play it after seeing what they could do. So I downloaded and played the demo for half a year before finally buying it on steam. I've been around since 0.23 and mostly play a heavily modded sandbox.

Many thanks to Squad for making this wonderful game. :D

Cap'n Skunky posted about this amazing game on Slashdot in response to an article on educational games (or rather, the lack of good educational games). I downloaded the 0.13 demo and played it for over 100 hours. ( That version had no limits on part counts, and Kerbin and the Mun (IIRC) were the only bodies.

My wife was going to buy me Black Ops II for Christmas, as it had just come out at that time, I told her I wanted this instead. Got it shortly before 0.19 premiered.

I finally bought BOII, according to Steam:

Black Ops II 42 hours (Mostly in Zombie mode due to my youngest (27yo) son)

Kerbal Space Program 1039 hours.

Best $17 (US) I ever spent on a game.

I have been playing KSP since about a week before they added the mun. I was exposed to KSP via a forum post somewhere where a guy was doing some SRB challenge, and as soon as I saw a video of the game I knew I had to have it so bought it, since it was only $10 at the time... I have to say that, gaming wise, it was the best $10 I have ever spent I think...

I came in the 0.19 era (just missed the launch tower) and have very fond memories of it. I saw KSP quite high in game category on some torrent site (TPB? KAT? I'm not sure.) so I tried it and got hooked for about 3 months during which I hardly even slept. Bought the game soon after and till this day it's probably the best spent gaming money in my life.

Edit: It seems we all think alike.

100% of me hearing about this game was on Reddit. I cannot think of one time where I saw it mentioned elsewhere. None. People would always make comments on threads about how they did this or that on KSP and they always sounded like they were having fun. So, being bored of 7 Days to Die and Starcraft II, I pirated Kerbal Space Program and gave it a shot.

Let me say, it was love at first launch. I pirated the game yes, and I bought it for the full $40 on steam less than a week later. It was THAT good. And I'm still hooked on my 110th hour, writing on my Linux Mint OS (installed just for this game) which will be handing 4+gigs of mods very very soon.

Such a great game!

Edited by OddFunction

The longest I've gone without playing KSP was during 0.90. I don't know what it was, but the game just felt suspended between being an early-access and a full-release game. Knowing 1.0 would pretty much break everything in older saves, I didn't invest much of my time into the game.

I haven't played much 1.0 either, though. I don't want to say I'm done with KSP, but perhaps just moving on to other things. Of course, there's no denying KSP is a masterpiece. :)

This poll has been done fairly recently, check these threads FYI

When did you join KSP? 27 Feb 2015

When did you buy KSP? 28 Apr 2015

(This one mainly seeking info on before/after 1.0)

While similar, those polls are different in that they are asking when people bought the game, whereas I am asking about people's activity once they discovered KSP.

Dang it, wish I'd paid more attention to when I voted. Though it was when you bought it (facepalm). I have watched Youtube from versions 7.3 to 18.2. Then it died on me, but when it came to Beta I decided to buy it.

Finnish astronomy hobbyist's magazine made an article of KSP. It sounded interesting and I decided to try demo. I was addicted immediately and purchased a full version after few hours. 18.0 was then just released. I knew basic celestial mechanics and techniques of real space flights before so first orbital and Mun missions was relatively easy. Manned Duna mission was first hard thing which took tens of hours. It required practice of rendezvous and dockings, making of relatively large rockets, calculating of dvs and thrusts, landing, (I did not have any mods then) etc.

I got KSP via steam a few days before .22 in oktober 2013 and played it, with some pauses, ever since. Didn't play much beta, but since 1.0 is out i am thinking of making some sort of youtube/forum story about my heaviliy modded install with seti, remotetech, fasa, oks/mks, orbital science, scansat, ... still putting thought into it on what and how and if i am going to make this :)

I have heard of KSP at least six months prior to buying it. saw several funny youtube videos from .18 or .19. i also played the demo before buying, so i could technically say i played .18 :D

Figured out most of the stuff with help from videos, the forum or youtube, since i haven't put a single thought before in orbital mechanics at all.

i believe before ; i was, and it was, born and even after ; isn't everyone case ? ( ; )

(more down to earth around .18 drmly' thanks to:

"but' date=' but, what about complex server side calculs ?!?"[/quote'])
Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Once upon a time in a forum far far away there was a thread about this amazing new game. So I checked it out and game was great, even without the Mun. Later on I found out the op is Scott Manley, before he was cool.

Once upon a time in a forum far far away there was a thread about this amazing new game. So I checked it out and game was great, even without the Mun. Later on I found out the op is Scott Manley, before he was cool.

sometime things get's updated that's what's great about meta search algorythm ; ) but shhhh don't tell (the partially full empty story you might look like an ever son of someone ; ) ) ; )

I went looking for a space flight simulator. Found Orbiter. Experimented with it for a while. It's a lovely sim, but after playing with the stock craft for a while, and toying around with a few of the vessels the community has contributed, I started wondering if there was anything like it that made designing and constructing ships a bit more accessible than breaking out the 3d modelling apps.

A few judicious google searches later, and I found KSP, just after it was launched on Steam. Have been here ever since.

My brother-in-law was fawning over it back awhile ago. 3 years ago now? I can't recall how long ago that was. I bought KSP back at .14 (it may have been .13.3). It is hard to remember that far back, but I think it was the first updated after the Mun was added that I bought it (or maybe it was the 2nd update after the Mun?). I've been active playing it all along from when I bought it. At worst there might have been a month or two where I didn't get any play time for personal reasons, but I'd guess I probably average at least 30hrs a month over the last 2 1/2 or 3 years now. Some weeks I might put in 20hrs in a week, others I just might not have the time to play at all.

As it stands I don't think he plays it much anymore. As it stands KSP is pretty much the only game I ever play. It is a combination of being addictive enough along with being a father of 3 and a job that sucks up too much of my time as well as some other hobbies that are a time suck (home brewing beer, yeah, that sucks up a lot of time).

I am super excited about possible Multiplayer, especially if it is multiplayer with personal server persistance (like Minecraft). Especially if it will be possible to do multi with Career mode at some point. My son is a huge KSP nut and my younger son plays a little here and there. I could probably even suck my brother-in-law back in at some point. To me the possibilities with multi are nearly endless, especially with resource gathering (I mine and refine fuel and then deliver it to my son's interplanetary ship as an example).

Edited by lazarus1024

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.