Devnote Tuesday: Back to Work!

SQUAD

Seriously guys, here I thought 1.0 would be the last major update and you'd only do some minor stuff. Then some day might come out with a big expansion pack of a KSP2 or something.

Why, why do you keep giving us things! You should cease this generous behavior at once*.

It is like you hate us or something.

*No, seriously, SQUAD you are awesome. Keeping giving us more. Unity 5 sounds like a horrible pain, but it also sounds like a massive positive overhaul. I like the sound of more effective multithreading. Should help it run on my Bay Trail tablet even better (I hope?) let alone my desktop/laptop. Audio pass also sounds delicious.

Any info on what 1.03 will include coming?

Given that there is some debate over how it should be adjusted.

Some sort of occasion for radial parts would be nice though.

So would this lend itself to other uses within KSP?

Like say Surface features on the planets that could be interacted with like appear on the wish list all the time.

This would be perfect. Something like this is needed for surface exploration.

Ah, fantastic! I hope that maybe the new UI will look a bit more sleek and space-y. Also, I have a feeling that a LOT of mods will be broken when this releases..

Sounds like it. Changes to GUI, wheel colliders, shaders, plus all those other things.

Edited by Tw1

Any info on what 1.03 will include coming?

Given that there is some debate over how it should be adjusted.

I would think that the most likely issue to be fixed would be the heat gauge memory leak.

I also supsect that some would wish for the heating slider bar to be extended to 500% or so, but the only critical issue I can see if the heat bars one.

Not that I would object to something being done about the jitteryness of service bays, but that has a work-around(open/close the bay) and it may well go away with the U5 conversion.

Really looking forward to the Unity 5 update, crack on Squad you guys are awesome! :D

Multiplayer... meh, I still hope that it won't be released. KSP does not need this.
I couldn't disagree more. We play KSP at lunchtimes in the office sometimes... 4 of us. We used to use DarkMultiplayer to do 4 craft missions and co-op base building etc. Each person had their own role to which they were best at, so working as a team we had an immense amount of fun.

Squad do you have anything for us about multiplayer?

EDIT: Sorry, I must have missed the small note on MP in the dev notes, just read them... awesome!

Max (Maxmaps): We jumped out of a plane, spent a lovely weekend relaxing and overeating in ludicrous manners. Now it’s back to work. I’ve been organizing the update plan for the next few updates (yes, plural) while figuring out how to most effectively organize the team to speed up Multiplayer’s development. Adding to that the fact that the U5 update is turning out to be a tremendous workload, we’ve got quite the busy schedule for the foreseeable future.
I think a little bit of wee just came out! :D Edited by sysigy

I'm a totally solo stock player, but multiplayer would be a lot of fun i think. Normally I dont bother with it even in other games but with Kerbal I feel like its much more social and I can work with my buddy to do some fun things.

will the update break savegames?
Far too early to know that WeirdCulture, but as the save format is custom made and not dependant on Unity, it's very unlikely.

It wont break savegames, because the game is already out

or

The game is still in early access and it's called "KSP 1.0" v0.91.2

How are broken savegames still up in the air?

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

What I'm worried about is whether the Unity 5 update will break mod-parts that were built with the old PartTools and Unity 4. It will be tedious, but certainly possible to re-export them all, assuming we can get updated PartTools that work correctly. However, I'm concerned about the things that might change out from under us that require more significant revisions (the wheel collider system being an example).

It took me forever to get landing legs to work correctly the first time, and now that the wheel colliders are changing, I'm curious as to what will be involved in getting them to work again under Unity 5.

Do we know if the parts will need to be exported with the new shaders selected, or are the shaders just being updated in place (with the same shader references that the meshes are currently using)?

10 pages and noone reacts to the audio revamp?!? *weeeeeee*

I put Audio in the "Nice to have" section. However, Unity5 is in the "Must have" one.

It will be a good patch, bur U5 is overall better for the future of the game.

No, you're just talking about the wrong things. Typical reentry speeds on Kerbin are sub 3km/s (you can get a bit more when coming back from Minmus, but whatever...) and, with the current drag and heating you're never going to build up enough speed heat to really damage anything beyond small parts. Jool is entirely different because you're entering at high speeds (usually much greater that 3km/s) from interplanetary transfer and have to scrub a lot of delta-V to aerocapture, which means your parts are subject to a lot more heating most especially because you're in a thinner atmosphere for much, much longer than reentry on Kerbin. In fact, it's pretty safe to say that aerocapture on Jool from an interplanetary transfer would be fairly close to actual reentry here on Earth, at least higher up.

So, yeah, it boils down to the fact that Kerbin is stupid tiny, like pretty much everything else in this game.

Fair enough - I haven't gotten far enough to try atmospheric entry or aerobraking at inter planetary missions speeds of 10kms trying to shed 6kms of it in one go - if I can do that but just barely with heatshields then I will consider the atmospheric heating up to snuff ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Aerocapture, it's aerocapture. Say it with me "aerocapture". Aerobraking is when you lower one of your periapsis' while already in an elliptical orbit, aerocapture is used to make an elliptical orbit from a hyperbolic one.

Actually aerobrake is a super set which includes all scenarios where you use a planets atmospheric drag to help you with a course change. You might aerobrake for less than the ÃŽâ€V required to end up in orbit either supplementing with thrust or using it along with gravity assist

Actually aerobrake is a super set which includes all scenarios where you use a planets atmospheric drag to help you with a course change. You might aerobrake for less than the ÃŽâ€V required to end up in orbit either supplementing with thrust or using it along with gravity assist
NASA defines them as two different things; aerocapture is a very sudden maneuver designed for orbital insertion, diving deeply into an atmosphere to scrub interplanetary velocities, aerobraking is a very gentle maneuver designed for use once in a stable orbit, skimming the atmosphere to reduce apoapsis over time. Hell, even the KSP Wiki makes that distinction. They're distinct techniques even though people around here use aerobraking interchangeably with aerocapture.

NASA defines them as two different things; aerocapture is a very sudden maneuver designed for orbital insertion, diving deeply into an atmosphere to scrub interplanetary velocities, aerobraking is a very gentle maneuver designed for use once in a stable orbit, skimming the atmosphere to reduce apoapsis over time. Hell, even the KSP Wiki makes that distinction. They're distinct techniques even though people around here use aerobraking interchangeably with aerocapture.

So what terms do you use for the following:

1) Shaving only a moderate amount of velocity off your craft to get it from an interplanetary transfer orbit into a highly elliptical orbit from which you use aerobraking to circularize;

2) Using a bodies atmosphere to increase the impact of gravity assist on a course but not reducing velocity enough to achieve orbit of that body?

2) Using a bodies atmosphere to increase the impact of gravity assist on a course but not reducing velocity enough to achieve orbit of that body?

That's not a thing. Aerobraking or burning retrograde during a gravity assist reduces its impact.

I say aerobraking for any maneuver that uses atmo to slow. I don't work for NASA.

1) Shaving only a moderate amount of velocity off your craft to get it from an interplanetary transfer orbit into a highly elliptical orbit from which you use aerobraking to circularize;
Aerocapture. You're going from hyperbolic to elliptical orbit. Aerocapture does not denote a circular orbit, it denotes being captured by the target body.
Aerogravity assist. You use the lift of your craft to help.

All of these maneuvers properly belong under the "aeroassist" umbrella, as I understand it.

I say aerobraking for any maneuver that uses atmo to slow. I don't work for NASA.
No one cares, we're having an argument here.

I'm still waiting on patch 1.0.3 to fix severe memory leaks introduced in KSP 1.0. And there's still the pre-existing memory leaks that make it difficult to play a modded game unless I run OpenGL mode on Win32.

So yeah, my vote is for bug fixing and better memory management.

So here's the thing with Kerbin entry heating. It may seem a bit too easy when coming back to Kerbin, but have you tried going to Jool? It's extremely unforgiving. So it's not actually a low entry heating setting, it's just that Kerbin has a relatively forgiving atmosphere.

let me guess regex, it doesn't make any sense.

Well said. Given that orbital velocity on Kerbin is so low, you really shouldn't EXPECT drastic re-entry heating there anyways... Just saying. Still wishing SQUAD would add larger planet and solar systems sizes as an additional difficulty-option at some point (so I don't have to install a mod to get the effect of RealSolarSystem), or at least scale up Kerbin by a modest 2-3x...

Regards,

Northstar

It's been said a few times here, but seriously: no hotfix?

I'm concerned over the lack of concern over the number of bugs and half-balanced features in what is now a released game. Isn't it worrying that fixing stuff like aero later rather than sooner will dramatically affect how the game plays, invalidating people's save games in the process? Isn't it odd to draw in a bunch of new players who are currently learning how to play the game a certain way, when the devs will likely just come along and randomly shout out "rules change!" somewhere down the road?

This kind of thing is entirely understandable for an early access game, but not so much from a released title.

Edited by FlowerChild

I totally agree with the forementioned memory usage point. I dont like to crush the beautiful textures of this game and related mods with ATM anymore, my graphics card has 4 GB GRAM, dont talk about the rest of it...

Topic tweaks after release: its usual nowadays to have developers overhaul their game after release, thats way better than having the game die a lousy, silent death. So imho, keep it up Squad :)

Edited by Tyren
typos

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.