Remember when KSP was fun?

K3RBAL KOL4

Remember when you could design a rocket, plan a station, base or landing and actually get it done?

Seems like those days are gone with the 1.0.X Aero system. It isn't fun anymore as far as rockets go. For planes it is definitely great compared to .90 but the .90 Aero was perfect for rockets. It was still a challenge to get your stuff to space but you could at least get what you wanted into space and move on...

It feels more like a chore spending countless hours tweaking and balancing and rigging just to get around the gauntlet of simply getting your stuff up to an apoapsis you want, not to mention hoping to have enough fuel to circularize to actually play the game beyond just getting into orbit.

The fun of KSP has lost stability and is tumbling because of the new Aero and it needs to be fixed.. Why has Squad said/done nothing since their knee-jerk 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. "You can't complain" you will say... The hell I can't, I spend $ for a game and they took 2 steps backwards from .90 BETA.

Yeah, I remember when I played it yesterday and it was fun. I'm gonna play it right now too.

You have aero issues? Try FAR and tell me how it goes. Even though most all of the "issues" you described are simply due to player error, it has a better drag model and might work well for you (I use it and my rockets never flip out, although that might be because I simply slap some fins on instead of going on the forums and complaining how I don't want to do that).

Edited by mythbusters844

Well good for you.. If you look through the forums it is clearly becoming less fun for many players because of the aero. Clearly there are terrible design issues. HAHA you are so funny, you had fun this morning. No responses with substance or rebuttal just laughs. hahahaha. And we wonder why nothing has been done to make this Alpha-esque game actually become what was promised to paying customers.

I dont' use FAR, and have no problems whatsoever. I seriously don't understand what this whining is about? Call me alphaesque or whatever, but really, I have launched the most unaerodynamical rockets and not have any bigger problems than a nuiscance.

Well good for you.. If you look through the forums it is clearly becoming less fun for many players because of the aero. Clearly there are terrible design issues. HAHA you are so funny, you had fun this morning. No responses with substance or rebuttal just laughs. hahahaha. And we wonder why nothing has been done to make this Alpha-esque game actually become what was promised to paying customers.

Then why are my rockets not flipping out? Weird, because that means it's on your part, not the dev's. And while I agree that the new aerodynamics seem to be sub-par to actual realism, it's still good and realistic enough that it makes your craft behave as intended. You paid for a realistic game (as the site says), which implies it's a game with realistic physics (including aerodynamics). Squad adding these new aerodynamics is what they did in fact promise to paying customers.

Edited by mythbusters844

"and my craft just kisses the surface without losing any speed on reentry. Parts don't even heat up. The problem is hard to reproduce, because it happens totally randomly" - From FAR thread

Yeah, I'll go with a worse mod that constantly causes the above issues.. among many, many others.

Its was fun for me the last couple of days.

I actually had a break after 0.24 came out so I could wait out some mod releases to suit how I wanted to play. Stock however, feels in a good place to me.

First of all, we need people go get the "easy" gravity turn out of their system. making a sharp 45 degree turn at 10km worked because of the old aero, now it doesn't as well as it has, as it shouldnt have worked in the first place. Flying planes is in a good place now (even without FAR)

To me it feels very satisfactory to get the perfect gravity turn over the entire flight after just 1 nudge to start the turn, after which I just use throttle to keep it nice n smooth.

I would say a lot of the new found hatred for this new aero system is due to an unwillingness to learn a new system (in other words, relearn a large part of the game). Although it is definitely more of a challenge to get into orbit, I embrace these new challenges to overcome them, and learn. If anything, it breaks the routine of simply going to orbit with no problem (and it certainly breaks the unrealistic 45 degree turn at 10km method). I embrace this new level of critical thinking that comes with something as simple as putting a payload into orbit. If anything, I have become a better pilot.

Some tips to help with your ascent are as follows:

-Do not deviate too far from the prograde marker (even a little bit can cause the rocket to flip)

-Add fins

-Do not accelerate/go as fast: something that is stable while subsonic may be aerodynamically unstable when supersonic.

-Reduce drag as much as possible near the top of your rocket

-Experiment with different designs

"and my craft just kisses the surface without losing any speed on reentry. Parts don't even heat up. The problem is hard to reproduce, because it happens totally randomly" - From FAR thread

Yeah, I'll go with a worse mod that constantly causes the above issues.. among many, many others.

This was posted by ferram literally two posts down (directed to that post)

@Darkway: Known issue, fixed in dev build, has been addressed a few times in the thread already.

Not like FAR will help your case anyways. You just need to be willing to learn something, which you don't seem to want to do. How hard is it to simply add 4 fins to the bottom of your rocket and to read up on what a gravity turn is?

Edited by mythbusters844

Hmm, the atmosphere is a fact of life. In the case of KSP it's designed in a certain way, so live with it. It's not harder or easier then before if you ask me, one only has to rethink some ways of building / piloting to conquer it.

Luckily, even when NASA for some reason doesn't like the earth atmosphere, they can't change it, so why should you be able to... :wink:

Greets,

Jan

I do remember, and it's still fun using 1.0.2. Took all of a few hours to get the hang of the better aero system but it was easy because things just make sense now. Can't just throw anything together and make it fly now regardless of CoM, drag or aerodynamics. I don't know why people are complaining so much... Maybe it's too hard for some now? Or maybe people are upset their old designs don't work anymore?

Oh man, yeah, I remember playing KSP mostly-stock 1.0.2 last night, so much

fun!

. I literally haven't played stock since like, what, 0.23? It is so much better now.

This was posted by ferram literally two posts down (directed to that post)

Not like FAR will help your case anyways. You just need to be willing to learn something, which you don't seem to want to do. How hard is it to simply add 4 fins to the bottom of your rocket and to read up on what a gravity turn is?

More insults with little substance.

No substance or rebuttal because it's not broken as badly as it was pre-1.0.

So here is a suggestion. On the mod suggestions page ask nicely for someone to mod up the old soup. If anyone with skill at modding agrees, then perhaps they will make one.

It was your flamebaiting intro title and the fact that this horse has been beaten to death that made me flip about it.

Whining will not help, most of us are happy with the changes as they go with what the majority wanted all along. Your only option at this stage would be modding or playing with the settings/config files or such.

I apologize for not adding something more substantive in my post however.

Flying rockets with the new aero is definitely more difficult, I played with FAR for awhile before 1.0 so I at least had some experience with more realistic aero, but I still manage to build rockets that flip occasionally.

What has really helped me in building rockets is to use a mod like KER/MechJeb (a dV readout is desperately needed in stock). This will help you plan out your rocket so you know it has enough fuel to reach orbit. I usually overbuild them a bit since I'm not the best pilot so I have some margin for error.

I usually use MechJeb to fly my rockets since the fun for me is in designing them more than flying them, but even if you would rather fly them yourself it may be helpful to watch MechJeb for a few ascents (and play around with the values) until you get the hang of it.

Squad really does need to provide a proper rocket launch tutorial (new tutorials were one of the promised features that didn't make it into 1.0) that provides some tips on building and flying rockets with the new aero. In the meantime, Scott Manley and others have done some excellent youtube tutorials.

What substance was there in the OP, to reply to?

I have no idea why your rockets aren't getting to space. Mine are. Why not provide pics and details? Maybe someone will know what the problem is.

Or maybe people are upset their old designs don't work anymore?

I have designed a lot of ships in 0.90, before 1.0 broke most of them.

My only thought is: Totally worth it.

I have designed a lot of ships in 0.90, before 1.0 broke most of them.

My only thought is: Totally worth it.

X2.

Yeah the Aero is harder, but I like it that way. The harder the task, the sweeter the victory.

The memory leak thing is real though.

Since I play heavily modded to get an interstellar campaign, I was running close to max mem without the leak already.

Basically I did this:

- Get the Temperature Gauge Killer

- Check how much RAM youre using. If youre close to 3.8Gigs youll crash often. (as its a hardcap on the 32 bit engine)

- If youre crashing a lot due to memory write errors (see above), run the game in opengl render mode. You might have to manually put the game on higher GFX card settings in your cataclysm/nvidia settings to make it pretty again. (google that .... to find out how to run this mode)

That basically dropped me from 3.6 Gigs to 2.4 Gigs ram usage, and havent crashed in a single playing session (upto 10 hours with alt tabbing) yet.

Lot of manual work, but better then just not playing whilst waiting for a hotfix.

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator