How slow do you need to be going to not have landing gear fail?

It seems like that even if I get it under 7m/s on the mun, the landing gear fails and yet another crew is doomed to remain on the moon.

Just how god damn slow do I need to go? I can safely land on kerbal with landing gear at 7-10m/s, but not so on the less gravity mun?

Y U NO MAKE SENSE LANDING GEAR? >:(

What\'s the direction of your velocity vector relative to the ground? Landing legs need low horizontal velocity, while landing gear can\'t do a lot with vertical velocity.

That said, it\'s possible to land at 0.5 m/s, which is pretty safe. I\'ve never risked 7 m/s.

Preferably with zero-ish horizontal velocity.

I was under the impression this was true only of landing legs, and that gear can take more horizontal velocity than vertical.

Then again, I suppose one could land on gear, then deploy legs when stopped as a sort of brake.

Post a screenshot of your rocket. Somebody kindly commented in one of my posts that the weight of your rocket is a very large factor in these sorts of things (Specifically mine was with engines breaking off at a 0.4m/s landing on the mun without landing gear).

If you have a very large rocket, even 7m/s is a huge amount of momentum for your legs to absorb, and they will break. I almost always go for a landing under 1m/s wherever possible. Then again, lately, the rockets I have been landing on the mun are for attempted double munar return missions and so are rather large.