Couple o' Batch questions

Hello,

I have Linux Mint and I had a couple of questions.

Specs: i5 @ 3.3ghz, 16gigs RAM, Nvidia 680GTX

My goal is to run 64bit KSP

1) In reference to this thread:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/106292-Running-64Bit-in-Steam-with-Linux-Solution

is

#!/bin/sh

export LC_ALL=C
export LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1"
export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1
exec taskset -c 2-3 ./KSP.x86_64

still the recommened text for the 'ksp.sh'? If not, is there an updated batch floating around?

2) In reference to this post: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24529-The-Linux-compatibility-thread!?p=1099022&viewfull=1#post1099022

LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 %command%_64

Is this accomplishing the same thing as #1? If so, should I use #1, #2, or both? Just a bit confused on what the ideal start up solution is.

3) Currently, I have a file in my Kerbal Space Program directory called 'KSP.SH'. It has the text contents of #1 and I use it to launch the program and play.

Because it is inconvenient to go to the folder to launch that file every time I want to play, I tried making a shortcut but it does not work. I right clicked, and went to 'Make Link' and drug the resulting file to the desktop, but only the 'KSP.SH' in the actual program directory will properly boot up; the 'link' does absolutely nothing.

I really appreciate any information anybody is able to provide. I would be lost without these forums!

Edited by OddFunction

1)

Environment variables:

LC_ALL=C - needed for certain (non-english) system locales to avoid various 'numerical issues', mostly related to the use of ',' rather than '.' as a decimal separator.

LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" - preloads libpthread & libGL, preempting the dynamic linker. Probably not needed (unless buggy linker) but won't do any harm.

__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 - Nvidia specific performance tweak, probably not needed but try it and see.

2)

All these can be set environment wide with 'export' (in this case the environment is the script) or on the same command line as the executable. Take your pick.

3)

I have no idea, 'shortcuts' are a desktop specific thing and I don't know what you're running. If Mint still runs MATE... I haven't used any version of GNOME/MATE/UNITY for years.

If your 'desktop' is an old-skool folder in your home directory you can use an old-skool 'shortcut' aka. a symbolic link - e.g. 'ln -s /home/user/KSP_Linux/KSP.sh /home/user/Desktop/KSP'

Personally I just put "alias ksp='cd ~/KSP_linux && LC_ALL=C __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 ./KSP.x86_64'" in my ~/.bash_aliases, that way I can just type 'ksp' in a terminal from anywhere (also disabling vsync for... reasons).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.