small satellites are uncontrollable

Trying to launch comsat satellites, I drop into my last 'stage' (really just RCS for tweaking things to make sure position and prbital period are right) and SAS goes insane. Everything is in a constant state of wobble and doesn't even center on the spot its supposed to center on. Happens regardless of if I have the RCS on or not, happens instantly with any SAS of any kind.

This NOT a gimbal issue, I'm aware of that issue, but I have no engine attached for this stage, and it happens without any kind of thrust.

I have a list of 38 mods and version checker won't copy to clipboard for me, if you're aware of any mod that could be the problem please suggest it (could be stock too? I've not launched anything this small in a long time).

Edit: I repeated an earlier test with low SAS probe cores and it now works, possibly because of removing Intersteller and Tweakscale?

Edited by Requia

• 2 weeks later...

If you resize an SAS module using tweakscale, you have to manually modify the force ratings. Sometimes they will not scale correctly. Too much SAS is uncontrollable even in stock. Also on smaller vessels having more than 1 SAS source can be uncontrollable. If you launched multiple sats from one rocket, if they were upside down on the parent vehicle, they could be confused and torquing in the wrong direction. (bast practice is to have all probes facing in the same direction.)

Another possibility - it sounds like you may be using Better Than Manned? If you are using directional antennae, or an antenna in the chain is continuously powering/depowering, your sats might be continuously losing/gaining control rapidly. Make sure you have enough batteries on every satellite to buffer any SAS or transmission drain to prevent brownouts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.