[Defunct] [1.3] WindowShine-v16 - Gold foil update (26 December 17)

HafCoJoe

• 3 weeks later...

Tried adding reflections to one of the AirplanePlus cockpits and I'm running into this problem.

pvGhlB4.jpg

The textures and reflection look fine when I'm zoomed right in but when I zoom out it fades to black.

THINK I did everything right in paint.net but obviously not. I opened the .dds, used the magic wand to select all the window segments, inverted the selection, used the transparency adjustment installed by BoltBaits transparency.dll to lower the transparency, then saved the new image using the settings in the OP.

Just to clarify this has nothing to do with the part itself, I had the exact same result when I tried it on the stock Mk1 Inline cockpit.

Any help is appreciated :V

59 minutes ago, Skippy__ said:

Tried adding reflections to one of the AirplanePlus cockpits and I'm running into this problem.

pvGhlB4.jpg

The textures and reflection look fine when I'm zoomed right in but when I zoom out it fades to black.

THINK I did everything right in paint.net but obviously not. I opened the .dds, used the magic wand to select all the window segments, inverted the selection, used the transparency adjustment installed by BoltBaits transparency.dll to lower the transparency, then saved the new image using the settings in the OP.

Just to clarify this has nothing to do with the part itself, I had the exact same result when I tried it on the stock Mk1 Inline cockpit.

Any help is appreciated :V

Ah - this has got to do with how you saved the texture's transparency, and I ran into it a few times myself. Are you using Paint.net/are you making sure that the rest of the texture has 1% transparency? There's an odd fix I found that works too by duplicating the original texture, setting it's opacity to 1%, and than layering it on top at the very end.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

The plugin I used has an adjustment with a transparency slider that ranges from -100 to 100 with 0 being default. I noticed that when I used the colour picker tool on your images the alpha is set to 1 in all the white space, but when I use my technique it just seems to be scaling down the original opacities so when I set it to -98 or something some of the image is at 0 while others are at like 6.

Do you remember the place you found your alpha removing plugin? might be easier if I just used the same as you.

as for the layering I cant seem to get that to work either, whenever I merge down it doesnt seem to change anything?

Just now, Skippy__ said:

The plugin I used has an adjustment with a transparency slider that ranges from -100 to 100 with 0 being default. I noticed that when I used the colour picker tool on your images the alpha is set to 1 in all the white space, but when I use my technique it just seems to be scaling down the original opacities so when I set it to -98 or something some of the image is at 0 while others are at like 6.

Do you remember the place you found your alpha removing plugin? might be easier if I just used the same as you.

as for the layering I cant seem to get that to work either, whenever I merge down it doesnt seem to change anything?

I searched for it again not to long ago but sadly came up blank :/ Something you might want to try though:

• Duplicate your edited texture once it's done
  • Remove all transparency on the dupe, scale down the opacity to 1%, create a new blank layer, and merge the now 1% opaque layer onto the new blank layer. With this done you should have a 255% opaque layer, that has a 1%

transparent texture on it.

• Merge the new layer on top of the original

^ What this should do is guarantee there is a bit of texture on every part of the texture, and hopefully fix the black texture issues. The other thing to do is make sure you save the texture with the settings I embedded in the instruction post on the first page. It's been a while since I've had this problem show up so please excuse my ignorance :/

9 hours ago, miromed said:

Skippy__ can not be worried, there is already a work patch for AirplanePlus. I think so soon will be published.

Thanks, but I have other mods I'd like to apply this too so I want to figure this out

10 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:
  • Remove all transparency on the dupe, scale down the opacity to 1%, create a new blank layer, and merge the now 1% opaque layer onto the new blank layer. With this done you should have a 255% opaque layer, that has a 1%

Christ, I don't know if I'm just retarded or if there is something legitimately wrong with my paint.net, but when I attempt these steps I just end up with windows and a 255a white background. I know this is a pain but could you please provide a slightly more detailed step by step from the start?

Sorry to be such a bother :/

15 minutes ago, Skippy__ said:

Christ, I don't know if I'm just retarded or if there is something legitimately wrong with my paint.net, but when I attempt these steps I just end up with windows and a 255a white background. I know this is a pain but could you please provide a slightly more detailed step by step from the start?

Sorry but I'm afraid I can't - that's about as straight forward as I can get it without making a video ;.;

8 hours ago, Skippy__ said:

Thanks, but I have other mods I'd like to apply this too so I want to figure this out

Put photoshop in demo mode for 7 days for free and you will be happy, there are no problems with alpha channels, the main fill is not black (# 000000), but dark gray (# 010101- # 030303) - this will be 1% transparency

Edited by miromed

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2017 at 7:37 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

I searched for it again not to long ago but sadly came up blank :/ Something you might want to try though:

^ What this should do is guarantee there is a bit of texture on every part of the texture, and hopefully fix the black texture issues. The other thing to do is make sure you save the texture with the settings I embedded in the instruction post on the first page. It's been a while since I've had this problem show up so please excuse my ignorance :/

hmm, I know this problem... I thought I was able to fix this in the shader (so all black values are shifted to 0.01), so this is really a strange lighting issue. maybe this value has some rounding errors when zommed out, so its is then 0 (which will lead to all black lighting errors). 

I'll try to clamp the values a bit more, so they are not that messy, which should make the live a bit easier for everyone. 

v14 is released with great improvements to the Mk1 Lander Can, Mk1-2 pod, and Cupola normal maps. The reflections shouldn't be wavy anymore.

Also thanks to @miromed there are once again a multitude of supported mods! Click the link in the OP to go to the dropbox folder with all of his packs. Thanks a ton Miromed. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, i was trying to make windowshine setting for new ap+ cockpit "mig.144" but i cant do it right for some reason :(

SBSqmV3zH1wWnwM7o4u19VKQ1KvEpaXJH1H2J-rM

main body turns into transparent while glass are reflective and parts circled in red are non reflective.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0pzK_mG0uB5c2FPRVF0ZnJEWEU

here is the dds file i made, im not sure if dds is faulty or mesh config, i left it blank because in other parts i made leaving blank worked just fine.

I tried paint.net and photoshop both but sadly no result, it's annoying because i did whole ap+ parts reflective before :(

I hope someone can help..

5 hours ago, qromodynmc said:

Hey guys, i was trying to make windowshine setting for new ap+ cockpit "mig.144" but i cant do it right for some reason :(

SBSqmV3zH1wWnwM7o4u19VKQ1KvEpaXJH1H2J-rM

main body turns into transparent while glass are reflective and parts circled in red are non reflective.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0pzK_mG0uB5c2FPRVF0ZnJEWEU

here is the dds file i made, im not sure if dds is faulty or mesh config, i left it blank because in other parts i made leaving blank worked just fine.

I tried paint.net and photoshop both but sadly no result, it's annoying because i did whole ap+ parts reflective before :(

I hope someone can help..

Could you try this texture? https://www.dropbox.com/s/frccw7c5f96x4la/144cockpittex.dds?dl=0

I lowered the transparency on the windows so they aren't perfect mirrors and made the transparency 1% in every other area.

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Could you try this texture? https://www.dropbox.com/s/frccw7c5f96x4la/144cockpittex.dds?dl=0

I lowered the transparency on the windows so they aren't perfect mirrors and made the transparency 1% in every other area.

Sadly no change.

V3Xq4P.png

do you think it can have something to do with meshes? or model itself?

O god i cant find out anything, trying different things again and again, i tried making another cockpit and that one worked so im not sure if it's the model of plane.(my biggest confusion is why ladder area looks normal but other parts are not)

@miromed You've did pack for ap+ before, can you check this one?

Edited by qromodynmc

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2017 at 4:23 AM, selfish_meme said:

First time I tried, am redownloading and re-installing

Y1tfYml.png

Just re-installed but every part that uses WindowShine 13.3 has the same look, this is with TRR 0.4

(Windows 10 64bit, nvidia GTX 1060)

Shoot -- Trying this with Back in Black also results in this same all-chrome, and a slightly shiny "Stealth mode" when you use its texture switcher.  I'm guessing "so shiny it's almost invisible" isn't the kind of stealth they had in mind...

We all reach that point where we have to pick and choose our favorite effects mods. :wink:

Edited by Beetlecat

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.