[Defunct] [1.3] WindowShine-v16 - Gold foil update (26 December 17)

HafCoJoe

hey @Avera9eJoe, could u help me getting this to run in 1.2, just cant figure out the problem here.

useing 2.5.1 TR and ur newest v12.3.

removed old dir and made new TR directory - still not working at all

edit wait...

edit2: well, guess who managed to delete ModuleManager?
Could u just ignore me?

Edited by Speadge

hmm was looking at your config file to see how you do the addition of reflection, but then something picked my interest, any special reason you commented some of the parts? or is it just for performance boost? i mean if i uncomment those lines, would i get reflection on those parts?

@Avera9eJoe Hey, I looked through the last couple pages of the thread but didn't see anything that answered my question. I had a request on Reddit for BDB to have Windowshine compatibility. Now, I've never used it, but reading your helpful post I should be able to figure out how to make it happen without too much trouble; actually, quick mini question, but some of the steps seemed like they were for people that didn't have access to the source files? I have the windows on my parts as separate meshes already and it would be pretty easy to just open them up in Unity to check the mesh names. Can I do that?

Anyways, my question is, what happens AFTER I get them set up? It seems like anything I do would need to be in the TextureReplacer folder. Normally we bundle all of our compatibility files with our mod, and maintain them on our end; since we have a fair number of contributors with vested interests in keeping those files up to date whenever we make a release. However, it seems like for Windowshine the best way might be to make them, and then shoot you a link every time I update the BDB-relevant folders? Is that what I should do?

48 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Avera9eJoe Hey, I looked through the last couple pages of the thread but didn't see anything that answered my question. I had a request on Reddit for BDB to have Windowshine compatibility. Now, I've never used it, but reading your helpful post I should be able to figure out how to make it happen without too much trouble;

Best of luck CobaltWolf! I'm always happy to help out if you need anything for your compatibility pack :) - I usually ask after compatibility packs are made, but would you like me to link your pack in the OP once it's done? I always double check before posting other peoples content.

some of the steps seemed like they were for people that didn't have access to the source files? I have the windows on my parts as separate meshes already and it would be pretty easy to just open them up in Unity to check the mesh names. Can I do that?

I would guess yes. It would certainly be faster :P - the configs call on whatever 'internal' mesh names are specified so if you have them found through Unity and they're the same in KSP it should work.

Anyways, my question is, what happens AFTER I get them set up? It seems like anything I do would need to be in the TextureReplacer folder. Normally we bundle all of our compatibility files with our mod, and maintain them on our end; since we have a fair number of contributors with vested interests in keeping those files up to date whenever we make a release. However, it seems like for Windowshine the best way might be to make them, and then shoot you a link every time I update the BDB-relevant folders? Is that what I should do?

Hm... this leads me to a question for you actually - did you change your original textures to make only the windows reflective, or are your original textures suitable for WindowShine without having to call on new ones? With all of the compatibility packs so far, users have had to edit the original mods part textures to change their transparency. Because of that they've had to include new textures in the download link as well as a config file. If you're the co-owner of the mod, it might actually be easier to include the reflection-set textures and the config file in your original mod and then tell your users to download TextureReplacer to add reflections. WindowShine is more or less a glorified texture and config pack for TextureReplacer. Hope this makes sense? I might re-edit this post to make it clearer later.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Just now, V8jester said:

Hey Joe, Thanks for sticking with this man. KSP just looks so bland without things like Windowshine Scatter and EVE.

And don't you start with "But I really didn't do much" You do a great job around here my friend :)

xD lol

Thanks - it means a lot to feel appreciated - even when your work is a bit buggy :P

Thank you for being here through the thick and thin, v8 :)

On 5/20/2015 at 4:52 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

Please move the download to somewhere other than Dropbox.  Spacedock or Github (or both). 

Dropbox has download limits, I've hit it in the past trying to download some older mods.

other than that, GREATJOB!!!!!!!!

15 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Best of luck CobaltWolf! I'm always happy to help out if you need anything for your compatibility pack :) - I usually ask after compatibility packs are made, but would you like me to link your pack in the OP once it's done? I always double check before posting other peoples content.

Of course! :)

I would guess yes. It would certainly be faster :P - the configs call on whatever 'internal' mesh names are specified so if you have them found through Unity and they're the same in KSP it should work.

I didn't find them - I made them! Haha

Hm... well, this leads me to a question for you actually. - did you have to change your original textures to make the windows the only visible part in the texture, or are your original textures suitable for WindowShine without having to call on new ones? With all of the compatibility packs so far, users have had to edit the original mods part textures to change their transparency. Because of that they've had to include new textures in the download link as well as a config file. If you're the co-owner of the mod, it might actually be easier to include the config file in your original mod. The only thing that you would need to get reflective windows would be the reflection plugin from TextureReplacer. I hope this makes sense? I might re-edit this post to make it clearer later.

No, I didn't have to do that. They're mapped to part of a full texture sheet like everything else in the model. I'm not sure what you mean for the modifications to the windows; I'll have to look at the other compatibility packs here when I get home.

20 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please move the download to somewhere other than Dropbox.  Spacedock or Github (or both). 

Dropbox has download limits, I've hit it in the past trying to download some older mods.

other than that, GREATJOB!!!!!!!!

D: I didn't know they had download limits... I'll add everything to Spacedock then - I'm afraid I still have no clue how Github works with pulls and requests and sharing and gah. Thank you!! :D - In all honesty I think you deserve more thanking than me for the bee-hive of mods you have under your wing :) lol

1 minute ago, Avera9eJoe said:

D: I didn't know they had download limits... I'll add everything to Spacedock then - I'm afraid I still have no clue how Github works with pulls and requests and sharing and gah. Thank you!! :D - In all honesty I think you deserve more thanking than me for the bee-hive of mods you have under your wing :) lol

Thanks.

Github is fairly simple if you ignore most of the functionality.  I assume you are on Windows.  The following is a fairly decent introduction to Github:

https://guides.github.com/introduction/getting-your-project-on-github/

Depending on where you are and both our schedules, , I might be able to spend a little time with you in a shared screen session to walk you through.  

Contact me via PM to discuss

8 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

If i can figure it out, anyone can. Its intimidating at first but very easy once you get the hang of it. Technically, you dont even have to deal with pull requests or merging anything if you dont want to. You could just put your releases on there much like you do with dropbox or spacedock

I just tried this mod for the first time.  It's beautiful.  First thing I noticed though - it seems to completely replace the glowing, emissive windows.  It can make it a very dark place on the night side of planets.  Is there no way to have both?  Apologies if this has been covered before...

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

Hey Joe, heads up. I think the shininess went a little too far on the MK3 Cockpit. The whole thing looks (awesome) but overly shinny.

I'll turn it down a bit then :) - I like windows being only slightly reflective, but it's a balance between being reflective enough for users to be able to see it easily as well :P

19 minutes ago, fourfa said:

I just tried this mod for the first time.  It's beautiful.  First thing I noticed though - it seems to completely replace the glowing, emissive windows.  It can make it a very dark place on the night side of planets.  Is there no way to have both?  Apologies if this has been covered before...

Sorry to say but that's been an issue with WindowShine for a while now :P It's detailed at the very top of the post as well as in known issues. - WindowShine adds reflections to parts, but in doing so it breaks all other part shaders applied. I actually have fixed shaders that someone made for me, but I can't code and I don't have a modder who's willing to do it for me :/

3 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I'll turn it down a bit then :) - I like windows being only slightly reflective, but it's a balance between being reflective enough for users to be able to see it easily as well :P

Oh was it intentional to add reflections to the entire cockpit? If so I'll shoosh :)

2 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

waitwut

That's what I was trying to say. The entire command pod is reflective paint and all. The windows look great I wouldn't change a thing. But I didn't think you meant to make the whole thing shine like that.

2 hours ago, V8jester said:

That's what I was trying to say. The entire command pod is reflective paint and all. The windows look great I wouldn't change a thing. But I didn't think you meant to make the whole thing shine like that.

:L yeah that's definitely a glitch then - the devs probably renamed a texture and I need to rename the one in WindowShine as well.

3 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

@V8jester, can you post pictures? I'm not seeing anything wrong with the mk3 cockpit in my saves in editor or in flight.

Sure. Here is the mirror paint scheme. You can see the hanger ceiling reflected off the roof. I noticed this first in 1.1.3. and now again in 1.2. but never had this issue in 1.0.5

screenshot1_zpstcgv9tk1.png~original

On 20/05/2015 at 5:52 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

Known issues:

*On parts with the added reflection shader/module, all other part shaders are ignored. I.E. Parts that have reflections added don't have edge highlighting, don't gray out when moved in editors, and lights do not turn on. This is sadly an issue with Shaw's reflection plugin built into TextureReplacer. Current fix unknown.

The mod is awesome! It will be perfect when someone fix this issue, I love the lights on windows at night!

On 10/22/2016 at 3:12 PM, V8jester said:

Sure. Here is the mirror paint scheme. You can see the hanger ceiling reflected off the roof. I noticed this first in 1.1.3. and now again in 1.2. but never had this issue in 1.0.5

Now that's a deep shine! Good job, detailing team. :wink:

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 3:12 PM, V8jester said:

:/ It's not doing that in my install. Unsure what the cause is in your case. Are cabin lights disabled/enabled? It could be a texture that wasn't correctly named in my install. It isn't showing up in mu game though.

8 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Just wanted to know, since Ive not used this mod in the past, what kind of a performance hit does it cause, if any?

Cheers, 

Surprisingly little hit on performance :) I'd test it out for yourself and make sure though. My tests where done pre-64 bit so things may have changed.

On ‎23‎-‎10‎-‎2016 at 0:12 AM, V8jester said:

I have exactly the same 'bug'. Only the MK3 cockpit part.. But I kinda like it :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.