[Defunct] [1.3] WindowShine-v16 - Gold foil update (26 December 17)

HafCoJoe

I'm happy to help getting this into CKAN, any chance you could move from Dropbox to a Github repo? They're really quite easy to set up.

I'm waiting for this to be available in CKAN - CKAN is too damn handy to install anything without it :D

For some reason WindowShine breaks the reflections of Ven's revamped parts; video: http://a.pomf.se/bspfai.mp4

I've also posted about it in the Ven's part therad. What's actually causing the problem? Ideally, I'd like to be able to use WindowShine for the stock parts that aren't in the Ven's part revamp but also keep the reflections working for the revamped parts.

For some reason WindowShine breaks the reflections of Ven's revamped parts; video: http://a.pomf.se/bspfai.mp4

I've also posted about it in the Ven's part therad. What's actually causing the problem? Ideally, I'd like to be able to use WindowShine for the stock parts that aren't in the Ven's part revamp but also keep the reflections working for the revamped parts.

Yeah the reason is because Ven's Revamps replace the stock part textures and add modules to their configs, and Windowshine does the same exact thing. I sadly can't do anything about that :/. Don't Ven's revamps have reflections already? He said they did to me.

I made a fix to Ven's mod so that its TextureReplacer configs take precedence and undo the changes made by WindowShine; hopefully the fix gets accepted and both mods can be used together. Ven's parts have reflections, but not for the stock models.

Could I second the request to please put WindowShine in github and more importantly add it to CKAN? It would make using the mod easier. I haven't done it, but supposedly putting a mod on Kerbal Stuff helps with putting it on CKAN, and WindowShine belongs on Kerbal Stuff too to help others discover it.

Also, you should add :NEEDS[TextureReplacer] to the configs. If the code was on github, I'd just send the fix to you.

Edited by slikts

Yes, mods on Kerbal Stuff play quite well with CKAN, though the automatic submission system is a little flawed. That's ok, we keep an eye out for the KerbalStuffBot's failed attempts and fix them up. Once they're added, CKAN should keep up to date automagically.

One more post here calling for having the mod on CKAN. It's just too handy for update notification and installing dependencies etc...

EDIT : didn't stop me installing it though, looks amazing...

Edited by John FX

I made a fix to Ven's mod so that its TextureReplacer configs take precedence and undo the changes made by WindowShine; hopefully the fix gets accepted and both mods can be used together. Ven's parts have reflections, but not for the stock models.

Could I second the request to please put WindowShine in github and more importantly add it to CKAN? It would make using the mod easier. I haven't done it, but supposedly putting a mod on Kerbal Stuff helps with putting it on CKAN, and WindowShine belongs on Kerbal Stuff too to help others discover it.

Also, you should add :NEEDS[TextureReplacer] to the configs. If the code was on github, I'd just send the fix to you.

I just tested your fix, it seems to have worked on everything except the Cupola.

EDIT: nevermind, I think Ven's cupola just doesn't have reflections.

Edited by Blaylock1988

This looks great, downloading!

one thing that strikes me though is that windows in real life only reflect if there is no light source behind them. What I'd love is a cabin light mod so when the lights are off you get reflective dark windows and when the lights are on you get glowing windows instead. Is that even possible?

anyway.. off now to go "oooooh" at some solar panels ;)

one thing that strikes me though is that windows in real life only reflect if there is no light source behind them. What I'd love is a cabin light mod so when the lights are off you get reflective dark windows and when the lights are on you get glowing windows instead. Is that even possible?

Thank you! I totally and completely agree with you about the windows only reflecting when there is no internal light source. Sadly though, I can't do anything about it because TRreflections overwrite the cabin window lights on the Mk3/Mk2 cockpits. I can't do it, no matter how much I want it too ;.;. lol

I'd also like a way to turn off cabin lights in IVA on all pods (except for instrument panels) to create a more moody atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

Just released version 7. I added reflections to the mainsail bell. :)

Beale has a part mod called Tantares (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81537) which as a Gemini like capsule called "Spica". I'd assume the lights work because of a difference in how the effect is achived.

Here's a vid of it in action in my game:

Hm... I might be able to ask for help from him to get both reflections and lighting working. I'm not sure how entirely do-able this would be though.

UPDATE: It appears as though his reflections use a cleaner method then alpha channel, and I wouldn't be able to easily do it for the stock parts. :(

This is just outstanding, thanks for putting this together. It really adds a beautiful element to the game.

I'm running a handful of other mods including Engine lights and Hot Rockets, and I just had a 'wow' moment. I fired off the nuclear engine and the red glow reflected off the solar panels. Nice stuff!

If anyone else hasn't seen this, below is a good reference for adding game beauty. I chose not to install the KSPRC stuff yet, waiting for the official release. You'll need to do the 64 bit work around too to avoid numerous crashing from low memory. (Wish I would have done that ages ago, the game is so much more stable now, lol).

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/37nedh/installing_mods_to_make_ksp_look_nicer_step_by/

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117224-Windows-64-bit-community-workaround

And I'm really enjoying New Horizons, feels like a free expansion pack. Beware though, it ups the difficulty level a bit. Having Kerbin as a moon of a heavy gravity gas giant means you have to learn how to leverage gravity assist whenever possible.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114092-1-0-2-Kopernicus-0-0-7-New-Horizons-v1-5-4-12JUN15-Some-fixes%21-Some-bugs%21

Textures for the Mk1 Inline cockpit have changed in 1.03, and it seems that now, with window shine, the cockpit texture is a jumbled mess.

Fixed it! Luckily that was the only thing that needed updating.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

WindowShineTR-v.8 (Dropbox)

UPDATE: If you already downloaded v.8 please re-download it again - I updated the Mk1-2 pod's windows to look way better.

GXTN2ca.png
Edited by Avera9eJoe

For some reason my space station with the irretractable solar panels doesn't have any reflections on them. The ports are fine, just the irretractible panels dont reflect anything..

For some reason my space station with the irretractable solar panels doesn't have any reflections on them. The ports are fine, just the irretractible panels dont reflect anything..

I'll take a look at that when I'm available :/

just one question, how can i use this in my mod, the bogy of my craft, especially the ghost needs to be specular but ksp specular is pretty ....

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

amankd said:
just one question, how can i use this in my mod, the bogy of my craft, especially the ghost needs to be specular but ksp specular is pretty ....

Wait a minute... are you the guy on the KSP facebook page that's been redoing all of Halo's vehicles?!? If you are, I'm the enthusiastic guy named Joe who suggested importing the Scarab's model for aesthetic. I don't know if you'd remember me. I would love to help you out.

In a nutshell, reflections on parts are controlled by alpha channel transparency and a TR module. The less visible the texture, the less it reflects. I can get your part textures set up for reflections and send them to you if you want (Convert them from .mbm to .dds, messing with Alpha channel and flipping vertically). I'd also be happy getting a module manager config set up for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.