[Defunct] [1.3] WindowShine-v16 - Gold foil update (26 December 17)

HafCoJoe

16 minutes ago, Berkyjay said:

I've started getting parts that have this semi-transparent effects.  It only really shows up when the part is in sunlight and I'm looking at it from the lit side.  The parts affected seem to be only stock KSP parts.  Someone on Reddit suggested it was WindowShine, so I uninstalled the mod and that indeed fixed the issue.  Not sure if this is a known bug or not.

Installed Mods

https://imgur.com/uf6qugX

https://imgur.com/HVNkYtI

Yeah, it's caused by WindowShine but I'm not exactly sure why/what in WS is causing it. It hasn't been enough of an issue to warrant uninstalling WindowShine though imo, but it's been annoying for sure.

54 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Just released a speedy update to increase the reflections on the cupola, all gold-foil surfaces (I.E. toroidal tank, and Mk2 can/Cupola bases), and also reaffirm that this works in 1.3.1

Awesome, gonna check it out in a min.

UPDATE: My reaction;

giphy.gif

More seriously though lol, much improvements! Said parts all look much better on my end, nice job, and thank you!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

1 hour ago, FuzzyHead said:

I installed WindowShine and the Patch for Ven Stock Revamp, and its looks great!

But it only seems to work on some of the parts, as on this screenshot: https://imgur.com/nHU2MoM

The Cupola doesn't show any object reflections, just the major light reflections

Any Ideas how I could solve this?

That isn't the stock Cupola, that'd be why I assume.

The patch for Ven's whatever may not be updated for the newest version of windowshine perhaps?

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

On 23.12.2017 at 4:46 AM, Pavel ☭ said:

Can somebody make reflection maps for the Feline Utility Rovers by the same guy who made KPBS?

Considering the quality of the mod and how it was made by the guy who made planetary bases, it's really underrated, and deserves proper reflection maps (I'm not able to do these things myself as I'm not a modder, have no artistic skill, etc)

and

On 23.12.2017 at 5:14 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

I've seen these before! It's a lovely mod and definitely deserves a set of reflectives, but I'm afraid I don't have the time for it myself sadly.

FUR has support for WindowShine build in by default :wink: 

On 1/4/2018 at 4:28 AM, Nils277 said:

FUR has support for WindowShine build in by default :wink: 

In order for Windowshine to work, one must have/create the windowshine .cfg files for every part that has a window. Every part that has a flag actually needs to have specific parts of the part mesh declared as windows so as to not mess up the transparency on the flags, and this requires doing actual reflection maps. In fact, if you just declare a part as reflective, the whole thing will be reflective similar to the above pictures, albeit not as bad. I suck at messing with .cfg files let alone actually using paint.net to make the maps for it.

Edited by Pavel ☭

11 minutes ago, Pavel ☭ said:

In order for Windowshine to work, one must have/create the windowshine .cfg files for every part that has a window. Every part that has a flag actually needs to have specific parts of the part mesh declared as windows so as to not mess up the transparency on the flags, and this requires doing actual reflection maps. In fact, if you just declare a part as reflective, the whole thing will be reflective similar to the above pictures, albeit not as bad. I suck at messing with .cfg files let alone actually using paint.net to make the maps for it.

Always time to learn if you don't like what's out there.

Or I should have said why don't you spend your time doing it the way you want it if you don't like what's out there already and be nice and share.

39 minutes ago, Mecripp said:

Always time to learn if you don't like what's out there.

Or I should have said why don't you spend your time doing it the way you want it if you don't like what's out there already and be nice and share.

Because I am not able to?

2 minutes ago, Pavel ☭ said:

Because I am not able to?

Why not ? Notepad++ is a good start https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.4.html 

then you just open the cfg with it and some mods not very many have just windows mesh so there your on your own what's holding you back people have put there time in and tried to learn so others can play and have fun and not many even say thinks and then there's people like you that don't like something and say you can't or don't want to learn and want some one do it for you ?

10 minutes ago, Mecripp said:

Why not ? Notepad++ is a good start https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.4.html 

then you just open the cfg with it and some mods not very many have just windows mesh so there your on your own what's holding you back people have put there time in and tried to learn so others can play and have fun and not many even say thinks and then there's people like you that don't like something and say you can't or don't want to learn and want some one do it for you ?

This is actually why I never learn how to code or make mods. Whenever I ask for something, people who know how to do things insult me and yell "go lhern it urself" even though there is a serious lack of information because of how ridiculously stingy modders are with their knowledge.

Edited by Pavel ☭

Just now, Pavel ☭ said:

This is actually why I never learn how to code or make mods. Whenever I ask for something, people who know how to do things insult me and yell "go lhern it urself"

No one is insulting you or anything its just we all have jobs and a life and I really don't know why you call it code , I guess in some way it is but I really don't see it has code because I can do it and I don't code but you are thinking it's harder then it is but yes it takes a lot of time to go through a mod and has there is a patch for it already but not to your like it and front page you will see has some good info really its not hard just take time to do it all you will feel better about your self if you just give it a shot 

How to add reflections to your own mods

9 hours ago, Pavel ☭ said:

I'm not quite sure i understand you. Do you want to say that FUR does not have any reflective windows at the moment? Because FUR does already have a config file for all the parts with windows which makes all windows as well as the solar panels reflective. The file is located in /KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRovers/Patches/WindowShine.cfg. I just used both mods yesterday and they worked. 

If you don't have reflective windows you may want to try to remove FUR completely and reinstall it. Maybe something has gone wrong in the installation. In the current version the windows cannot light up when Windowshine is installed but that will be fixed in the next update of FUR. If reinstalling does not work it would br great of you post screenshots as well as the Log file of KSP in the threat of FUR so i can try to find the reason for the missing reflective windows. 

PS. The reflection on the windows is quite subtle. You best see it when the camera is at the same height as the rover and you see the reflection of the horizon in it

Edited by Nils277

19 hours ago, Pavel ☭ said:

This is actually why I never learn how to code or make mods. Whenever I ask for something, people who know how to do things insult me and yell "go lhern it urself" even though there is a serious lack of information because of how ridiculously stingy modders are with their knowledge.

@Pavel ☭ Please let me start with my assumption that although you say you "suck at messing with .cfg files", you actually lack that skill because you see the root problem is how "ridiculously stingy modders are with their knowledge".  If that's not the case, you can move on to reading more interesting posts. :)

Still reading?  Cool, let me try to help you with a roadmap. 

I would say a good place for any aspiring KSP modder to start is with learning how the config files (*.cfg) work.  And IMO the best place to start is with the available information about Module Manager.  (It's much easier than leaning Blender, Unity and Gimp :confused:)

The Module Manager Primer (background) and the Module Manager Handbook (a more detailed starting point for 'how to')  are your basic references.  The forum post for MM is here,  and there's some good Q&A buried in there.  The starting point for the Wiki is nice, and will get better with time, (basically it's where the first two reference links live)

There's also a post devoted to working examples.  Orion Kerman has a nice tutorial.  There's a totally awesome compilation of patches in the Community Database of Module Manager Patches for Stock KSP.  All of which are great opportunities to see how patches that work look.

I'd suggest starting your education with those links, and then making a copy of your game directory and messing around with the simple stuff first.  Like changing the weight of a part, or adding electric storage to it, just to see how it's done.

I personally put ALL my MM patches in the root of the \gamedata folder, and name them starting with "MM_" and then a brief idea of what that patch does.  I.E. "MM_ProcedParts_Changes.cfg" and "MM_SmallerAtmosphericSensor.cfg".  That way they don't get mixed in with the MM patches distributed with the mods I run, and I know what they heck they're doing.

6 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

@Avera9eJoe, have you looked at Textures Unlimited, the window reflections in that with the full PBR shaders are very nice

I'm in discussion with someone knowledgeable at this moment actually :) I don't know yet if anything will come from it but it is in contemplation.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Azzie said:

Hi all,

After istalled this mod, I´v get this semi-transparent glitch.  Is any solution , how fix it please ?

1VgB.png

Sadly I don't know of a fix for this at the moment; I'm aware of it though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.