[Defunct] [1.3] WindowShine-v16 - Gold foil update (26 December 17)

HafCoJoe

11 minutes ago, Chubby_Hamster said:

In General I did not think of it myself in this update I found how to do it on the forum.

This was invented by kostik https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/193273-kostik/ 

I just entered it in the config and posted it

Just to be clear...both this and 'unofficial' show updated to 1.8.1. Both are the same at this point?

10 hours ago, Chubby_Hamster said:

Hi I updated the mod! https://spacedock.info/mod/1504/WindowShine?ga=<Game+3102+'Kerbal+Space+Program'>

I have a question: delete an unofficial mod page? 

Yes I think that is best. Delete the unofficial page so that there is just the official one- That way it is less confusing.

5 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Yes I think that is best. Delete the unofficial page so that there is just the official one- That way it is less confusing.

Please help me, I am very stupid.  How to install this mod (where which folders to place and where to place the dependencies?)

5 minutes ago, Javelius said:

Please help me, I am very stupid.  How to install this mod (where which folders to place and where to place the dependencies?)

What OS are you using? WindowShine currently works only on Windows with KSP version 1.8.1. Make sure you have both of those before continuing.

Alright, I'll try to do my best to explain.

Option 1: Use CKAN- CKAN is a super powerful mod manager for KSP and is great for installing far more than just WindowShine and TextureReplacer. It is the best option for installing just about every mod out there (There are only two mods I know of that are not on it).

1. Download it from here and set it up. You will need to locate your installation directory and select the file 'buildID64.txt' in it and click on it for the program to actually find your install location.
  2. Search "WindowShine" in the search box and click the small check box next to it (If it isn't compatible it won't show up unless you change the filter to all)
  3. Press apply changes at the top to start the installation process. There will be a few more windows that tell you the dependencies its installing too.

Option 2: Install it manually- This can be very useful to know and very satisfying if it works, but it is also more tedious.

1. Locate the GameData folder for your game. If you installed via steam it'll be somewhere like 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData'
  2. Download WindowShine, TextureReplacer, and ModuleManager.
  3. Go into the zip files for WindowShine and TextureReplacer and drop the folders "WindowShine" and "TextureReplacer" inside of  the "GameData" folder in your KSP directory.
  4. drop ModuleManager.dll inside of the "GameData" folder.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 7:00 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

What OS are you using? WindowShine currently works only on Windows with KSP version 1.8.1. Make sure you have both of those before continuing.

Alright, I'll try to do my best to explain.

Option 1: Use CKAN- CKAN is a super powerful mod manager for KSP and is great for installing far more than just WindowShine and TextureReplacer. It is the best option for installing just about every mod out there (There are only two mods I know of that are not on it).

1. Download it from here and set it up. You will need to locate your installation directory and select the file 'buildID64.txt' in it and click on it for the program to actually find your install location.
  2. Search "WindowShine" in the search box and click the small check box next to it (If it isn't compatible it won't show up unless you change the filter to all)
  3. Press apply changes at the top to start the installation process. There will be a few more windows that tell you the dependencies its installing too.

Option 2: Install it manually- This can be very useful to know and very satisfying if it works, but it is also more tedious.

1. Locate the GameData folder for your game. If you installed via steam it'll be somewhere like 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData'
  2. Download WindowShine, TextureReplacer, and ModuleManager.
  3. Go into the zip files for WindowShine and TextureReplacer and drop the folders "WindowShine" and "TextureReplacer" inside of  the "GameData" folder in your KSP directory.
  4. drop ModuleManager.dll inside of the "GameData" folder.

I'd beg to differ, there's enough mods which aren't on ckan which for me makes spending an extra 30 seconds for installing it in gamedata worth it

1 hour ago, Mlgisawsome02 said:

I'd beg to differ, there's enough mods which aren't on ckan which for me makes spending an extra 30 seconds for installing it in gamedata worth it

What mods do you use that aren't in CKAN? The only mods I use that aren 't in CKAN are Collide-O-Scope and CollisionFX. Since its only two mods I install them manually, and use CKAN for everything else. The fact that it automatically tells you when there's an update to a mod is a very big benefit to me since I use about 50 QOL/visual mods (I don't use part mods because I like knowing my craft work the same in a vanilla save) I used to be like you and install everything manually, but I found in the past month that CKAN is the easier solution.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

@Avera9eJoe So I have been working on a huge modification of OPT Legacy. I've resized, renamed, deleted, and moved OPTL textures all over the place.
I see in the WS ModPack, that the included textures are the same (file) size as the original diffuse textures, Unfortunately, some are ~21MB :P

I've read your post a ways back explaining how to add WS support to a mod.

My question is, why does everything *not* to be shiny, need remain in the tetxure, @ 1% opacity? Are the existing mod textures being *replaced* with these WS textures, and the 1% opacity stuff needs to remain, to fully texture the part, or are these textures used *in addition* to the original mod textures, and the 1% opacity stuff in these textures just doesnt get used... or??... vOv

Also, can I assume WS will work with *either* TRR, *or* TR, now that shaw has updated the original TR for 1.9.1? vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

@Avera9eJoe So I have been working on a huge modification of OPT Legacy. I've resized, renamed, deleted, and moved OPTL textures all over the place.
I see in the WS ModPack, that the included textures are the same (file) size as the original diffuse textures, Unfortunately, some are ~21MB :P

I've read your post a ways back explaining how to add WS support to a mod.

My question is, why does everything *not* to be shiny, need remain in the tetxure, @ 1% opacity? Are the existing mod textures being *replaced* with these WS textures, and the 1% opacity stuff needs to remain, to fully texture the part, or are these textures used *in addition* to the original mod textures, and the 1% opacity stuff in these textures just doesnt get used... or??... vOv

Also, can I assume WS will work with *either* TRR, *or* TR, now that shaw has updated the original TR for 1.9.1? vOv

Hello! Nope, you can make the entire part shiny if you like, there is a mod for Textures Unlimited that does just that too.

WindowShine is currently set up for TextureReplacer, not TextureReplacerReplaced- there is a slight difference in the shader syntax between TR and TRR that effects the config files so the current version only works with TR.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 6:14 AM, miccode said:

Hi, @Avera9eJoe nice work there, any chance to add support for ReStock?

Sorry but no. ReStock adds new part models and it would be difficult to add the new models, I haven't done much with WindowShine lately so I don't have too much interest to add extra to it sorry :(

7 hours ago, JajajTec said:

Hi how can i add a modded building to it? (when possible batch wise)

I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean new parts or do you mean the buildings in the KSC?

I mean i have like a cockpit from a mod that doesent have the shiny window. And i have many parts that don't have that reflective glass. What i want to do is adding these parts to the mod somehow so that these windows shine too. Here is a picture:

1.PNG?dl=1

Edited by JajajTec
Added picture

11 hours ago, JajajTec said:

I mean i have like a cockpit from a mod that doesent have the shiny window. And i have many parts that don't have that reflective glass. What i want to do is adding these parts to the mod somehow so that these windows shine too. Here is a picture:

1.PNG?dl=1

Ah I see. These are the directions to add reflections to other parts. I hope that helps, it's a bit complex :P

• 1 month later...

Game kind of freezes when I try to load a vessel. It will display the vessel loading dialogue, but will not load the vessel. I can still exit out of the game though. KSP 1.9.1

36 minutes ago, EdwardB3020 said:

Are there configs for the new parts?

WindowShine hasn't been updated for a while I'm afraid :/ I've stopped using it in my games so I don't have as much interest in maintaining it as I used to :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

1.10, got a trouble with the whole part shining instead of actual 'window shine'. Crew modules only, it works surprisingly fine with the solar panels.

What can you advice in this situation?

YmL7abOUkuY.jpg

aV7Z2ZhvdVk.jpg

UPD: found the sad reason of that.

Old TRR:

7dAzkVj_qTE.jpg

New TR:

F8_Ub9xCZBE.jpg

In TR, there was a Visor shader before but now there is one shader for all purposes. That's bad and I can't recompile TR with correct settings at the moment. Switching off the shine for all parts except solar panels.

Works for me. Better than nothing.

DPD55_BNHvM.jpg

Edited by Luch

3 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hey there Ouch! Sorry to say but I am no longer maintaining windowshine :/ last release was for KSP 1.3.

That's not a problem, thank you for your maintaining for older versions. Was a pleasure to use this mod in 1.3

I am tend to help you with fixing bugs and enhancing the previous functionality but unfortunately I don't have a strong knowledge of C#. It needs some rework related to TR shaders.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.