[Defunct] [1.3] WindowShine-v16 - Gold foil update (26 December 17)

HafCoJoe

But in reality will be the opposite..

In fact.. solar panels are designed to absorb light.. not reflected. Of course if you are in the right angle of sun reflection, you will see that part of the solar panels more yellow.. but you would not see reflection from earth, or bodies close to the solar panel.

Oh I know. But it's not like the game is 100% realistic anyways. I don't want it for realism, just for looks.

True fact. Sadly :/ It looks so beautiful though! - I could make a version which reflects light yellow. That could be interesting...

First, Thanks for the fantastic mod =D

Now, into the conversation, I'd say solar panels that reflect the environment objects are actually pretty legit judging from this video (@46m46s):

Edited by RockSciDev
Video Tag

That's a remarkable video!

Stumbled on it by accident a bit later after reading this thread, a nice coincidence haha.

Even if I'd only aim to get information on solar panels/arrays I'd stay for the whole thing, absolutely recommended!

(Nice ideas to use infernal robotics while looking at the moving parts as well, though that is another thread :P)

Could you make a patch or optional version that works with Ven's Stock Revamp? The only parts that have reflective windows (and solar panels) if VSR is installed are the Mk. 2 Cockpits, the Mk.2 passenger module,the OX-2L 1x3 Solar Panels (also the covered ones, I think), and the Mk. 1 inline cockpit.

Could you make a patch or optional version that works with Ven's Stock Revamp? The only parts that have reflective windows (and solar panels) if VSR is installed are the Mk. 2 Cockpits, the Mk.2 passenger module,the OX-2L 1x3 Solar Panels (also the covered ones, I think), and the Mk. 1 inline cockpit.

I already have one on the front page. ^-^ Look just below the primary download link.

I wanted to report that this appears to be working in my Linux install using OpenGL 3.1 via EGL (Not GLX). Are there any specific parts I should check for functionality?

Kubuntu 15.04 / Nvidia Proprietary drivers / KSP 64-bit chock-full-o-mods

I wanted to report that this appears to be working in my Linux install using OpenGL 3.1 via EGL (Not GLX). Are there any specific parts I should check for functionality?

Kubuntu 15.04 / Nvidia Proprietary drivers / KSP 64-bit chock-full-o-mods

All of the parts behave with the same module so there shouldn't be any major issues between them. BUT I have had problems with the non-refractive 1x6 panel not reflecting before. Can you test to see if it has reflections on it? :D Thanks for the offer

@GregroxMun I would, but I'm trying to keep the textures and colors as close to stock as I possibly can. The windshield looks like that stock so I'm leaving it like that for now. Sorry :P

If these are the same solar panels that you are referring to, then yes it works quite well. I have tested it on a few parts that ive already unlocked in my seti career playthrough and they all seem to be working as well. I just learned about this mod yesterday and wanted to say that it's pretty awesome!

http://i.imgur.com/3ypMYli.jpg

Edit: I just ran into an instance where the reflections didn't load on two of the panels. I reloaded the scene and everything was fine. I'm nearing 10gb of memory usage though so not sure if that would effect it.

Edited by Trolllception

All of the parts behave with the same module so there shouldn't be any major issues between them. BUT I have had problems with the non-refractive 1x6 panel not reflecting before. Can you test to see if it has reflections on it? :D Thanks for the offer

@GregroxMun I would, but I'm trying to keep the textures and colors as close to stock as I possibly can. The windshield looks like that stock so I'm leaving it like that for now. Sorry :P

How about making it part of Spaceplane Color Corrections and then magicalizing that into the WindowShine reflections?

How about making it part of Spaceplane Color Corrections and then magicalizing that into the WindowShine reflections?

That isn't a bad idea... the only issue is that I've been trying to change that windshields color for a bit now and it doesn't look at all good with the edits I've been doing. The color matches, but the reflections and brightened edges look crap.

EDIT: I just uploaded my best Mk1Cockpit edits on the SPPCC main page. Feel free to test it out. It's the best I can really do. Replace it in TextureReplacer\Default\Squad\Parts\Command\mk1Cockpit.

GREAT NEWS: I finally added WindowShine support for Asteroid Day. Enjoy guys. :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

• 2 weeks later...
That isn't a bad idea... the only issue is that I've been trying to change that windshields color for a bit now and it doesn't look at all good with the edits I've been doing. The color matches, but the reflections and brightened edges look crap.

EDIT: I just uploaded my best Mk1Cockpit edits on the SPPCC main page. Feel free to test it out. It's the best I can really do. Replace it in TextureReplacer\Default\Squad\Parts\Command\mk1Cockpit.

GREAT NEWS: I finally added WindowShine support for Asteroid Day. Enjoy guys. :)

Hooray! I keep forgetting this mod is the the /dev thread rather than releases.

It's such a subtle thing that makes a huge difference when playing. Especially if there are clouds. ;)

I don't plan on adding reflective textures to mkIV plane parts, sorry. ;.;

Quick status update.I've been experimenting with upping the reflectiveness of the single-tile solar panel. I had it set to a lower transparency the the other panels (0.2->0.5) previously as it appeared to be too reflective for my liking. I'm making it the same as the rest now.

I will be releasing v1.0 ASAP when KSP v1.1 drops. I'll be adding reflective textures for the new mk1Cockpit and 2-man hallway/inline capsule. My goal is to have the wait time on all of my mods as short as possible with each release of KSP. :)

The only thing I wish for this mod to have now is for all known issues to be gone from the board. Namely the lack of Normal maps and highlighting.

Tata for now,

- Avera9eJoe

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Joe, any chance you could take a look at adding reflections to the Lionhead circular panels? I know they're out dated, but they do still work in 1.0.x. You've spoiled us all, and non reflective panels just don't look cool enough anymore :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12106-0-25-Lionhead-Aerospace-Inc-Icarus-v0-4-updated

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.