[Defunct] [1.3] WindowShine-v16 - Gold foil update (26 December 17)

HafCoJoe

1 hour ago, Fwiffo said:

Hey @Avera9eJoe, I'm not sure but I think the fix introduced a new cosmetic bug with highlighting in the VAB.  When I mouse over the mainsail engine's icon in the staging area (right side of screen), the corresponding engine should glow green.  It's doing it for every other engine, but not the mainsail.  Could you (or someone) check and see if it happens to you, too?  May want to check with/without PPFX Edge Highlighting.

I'm assuming it's the updated mod causing this, but have yet to confirm the highlighting works when I uninstall it.

Yes I can confirm that this is a bug. The mainsail and rapier are the only engines that have reflections added through WindowShine, and thus they are the only engines that are missing their part highlighting. Shaw's reflection shader plugin has the unfortunate effect of removing/breaking all other shaders applied to the same part. This used to include alpha channel (artificial shadow depth on flat textures), but Shaw fixed that in one of the more recent TextureReplacer patches from what I am hearing (I've been focusing on compatibly of textures recently and haven't yet looked closely into that). I'm not sure if Shaw will be able to get other shaders running. I sincerely hope he is able to though. Unity 5 might bring about more possibilities in this regard.

tl;dr: Yes this is a known bug that is caused by Shaw's reflection plugin ;.;

On 30/08/2015, 04:04:59, Avera9eJoe said:

I'm sadly not the biggest fan of CKAN. I'm not planning on adding any of my three mods to it for the time being bur I wouldn't complain if someone else wanted to maintain a CKAN version for me :P. It's a very easy install without it.

I already offered to help with CKAN. Consider it done.

2 hours ago, politas said:

I already offered to help with CKAN. Consider it done.

Many thanks! I would be more than happy to add it to the OP with your name if you want that. :)

- I'm probably too much of a fan of personal installs :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe

15 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Many thanks! I would be more than happy to add it to the OP with your name if you want that. :)

- I'm probably too much of a fan of personal installs :P

If you want. I'm just happy that you aren't one of those modders who leaps from "I don't see the need for CKAN" to "So no one should be able to use CKAN for my mod".

hey @Avera9eJoe,

i recently played around with some plane parts and found there is a big difference between the stocks, that are completely reflective on their surface (not just the windows) and other parts i have from some mods.
So i wondered. might it be possible to make this up to kinda framework that it gets easy to use for every modder to include it / make default in their part packs?

would appreciate that very much as i love those glossy parts.

Beside that - any idea why the lights in my MK2 CrewCabin are not working? could it be because of the mod? just asking, havent spend time to investigate yet.

1 hour ago, Speadge said:

hey @Avera9eJoe,

i recently played around with some plane parts and found there is a big difference between the stocks, that are completely reflective on their surface (not just the windows) and other parts i have from some mods.
So i wondered. might it be possible to make this up to kinda framework that it gets easy to use for every modder to include it / make default in their part packs?

would appreciate that very much as i love those glossy parts.

Beside that - any idea why the lights in my MK2 CrewCabin are not working? could it be because of the mod? just asking, havent spend time to investigate yet.

I would love for other mods to have reflections built in but it's a bit tricky to do... bare with me while I explain. 

The thing with reflections in KSP is that it is based off of the part texture's transparency. The more visible a specific portion of a part's texture is the more reflective it is. If you open up one of the textures included in my DL you can see that everything except the windows is almost completely transparent. Technically the entire texture has a visibility of 1% with exception of the windows which have normal transparency levels. Following this same logic, technically all surfaces of the parts in WindowShine are reflective, it's just that they are only 1% reflective where the windows are ~100%. I hope this makes sense.

The thing with having reflective windows in all mods at download is that it would require the mod developers to change the transparency levels of their textures to match, as well as write a ModuleManager .cfg file for all the parts in their mod which they want reflective (It's very easy, but it still would take extra work). I don't think that's going to happen :P.

In all honesty I would be very happy if everyone had reflective windows in their mods. I would be more than happy to help any modders who want reflective windows added to their mods by default. I don't even need to be given any credit. I just want it to happen. :P

19 minutes ago, martinezfg11 said:

I added the reflective plugin to one of my parts and i really like it. My only wish is that the windows could also have the emissive shader working on them.

Sadly you'll have to wait until Shaw's reflection plugin in TextureReplacer is further updated. Currently it is overwrites all other part shaders on anything it's applied to. I'm in the same boat.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I need to say this as it may have been said already, but for those of you looking for the compatibility download by Nhawks17, put m*diaF*re before the /download. Mediafire is banned by the forums for ads, I'd recommend Joe to fix the links by asking Nhawks for permission to redistribute from another site.

Btw Joe, Great Work. Your Contribution to the KSP community is very much appreciated and applauded for, Thank You.

Edited by victor tan

28 minutes ago, victor tan said:

Not sure if I need to say this as it may have been said already, but for those of you looking for the compatibility download by Nhawks17, put This website cannot be used on these forums before the /download. Mediafire is banned by the forums for ads, I'd recommend Joe to fix the links by asking Nhawks for permission to redistribute from another site.

Btw Joe, Great Work. Your Contribution to the KSP community is very much appreciated and applauded for, Thank You.

Thanks for the kind words :) - That has not been mentioned yet actually. Thanks! - I'll ask him that right now.

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Joshwoo69 said:

@Avera9eJoe @Nhawks17 could you update copy.com links? copy is getting discontinued. thanks :) 

.-. We're going to run out of places to host files at this rate.

@Avera9eJoe you can just rehost the file, I can't migrate to another place until Monday so you can do whatever with it :P

Sounds good :) - I'll host them. Convenient actually as now all the compatibility packs will be in the same folder in my dropbox. Yay for organization!

EDIT: Re-hosted. I hope this works well for you guys!

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Hello TheL3mur! I didn't expect you here on the forums as well as on stream! Yes it is sadly. It cannot be helped until the TextureReplacer reflections plugin fixes it though, as that is what this mod uses to make reflections. We have to wait and hope.

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hello TheL3mur! I didn't expect you here on the forums as well as on stream! Yes it is sadly. It cannot be helped until the TextureReplacer reflections plugin fixes it though, as that is what this mod uses to make reflections. We have to wait and hope.

If I'm remembering correctly I think @Proot got it working in KSPRC. I didn't look into how he did the reflections but I'm guessing it is through Texture Replacer. I could be wrong though.. I might've dreamed that.....

9 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

If I'm remembering correctly I think @Proot got it working in KSPRC. I didn't look into how he did the reflections but I'm guessing it is through Texture Replacer. I could be wrong though.. I might've dreamed that.....

The latest Ven's (I'm fairly certain) has it working on the pods and lander cans. I installed Ven's, then installed the patch in the OP, and it worked great. Thrilling times we live in!

Edited by Beetlecat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.