"Duna, Ore Bust!" -- a KSP Graphic Novel (COMPLETE)

I'm still curious as to what causes the game to forget that a wing part is supposed to have lift.

I agree with r_roko1, however, that this is probably survivable. I've had planes lose sections of wing on bad landings and still be able to fly home. Never tried reentry that way, though :).

Kuzzter : [...]I hope you'll use some week-end free time to AT LEAST GIVE US MORE of your comic panels!!!!!!!! :cool:

... I NEED them, now I saw a potential tragedy (again) in act... <addicted> PLLLLLIIIIIIIZZZZZZZ!

Well, as of this morning the Hummlebee's mission is over one way or another. Now I have several hundred screenshots to go through, some custom builds to make, sound effects, lighting... probably a little gaff tape... this could be a while.

Next installment is on a subscription basis, sorry ;)

Heh. I could always have Walt and Mort run a fund drive :evil:

In fact I think the lack of coordination between the two pilots is a bigger danger ;) Right in this moment both Jeb and Val are assuming control of the ship ( better said, Val has not still passed it out, but clearly she is not the one in control ;) ) and that is HUGE non-no ...

You are absolutely right, and a rare error from Val to not anticipate this. They should have established the handoff BEFORE they were in the middle of a crisis, like they did when entering Duna.

What's not good? Did someone eat the fish? Surely they'll be all right!
Everybody is hoping they'll be all right. And don't call me Shirley! :D

I knew I could count on you guys :)

lack of control will make landing very dangerous hopefully they have the fuel to abort to orbit then again if they don't land they could miss the transfer window to eve...
I'm still curious as to what causes the game to forget that a wing part is supposed to have lift. I agree with r_roko1, however, that this is probably survivable. I've had planes lose sections of wing on bad landings and still be able to fly home. Never tried reentry that way, though :).

One of these days I will have to try to reproduce the effect in a controlled situation to figure out what causes it. But as to being able to land, I found i did not have sufficient control even with thrusters over Duna. Next pages will answer one of your questions but raise several more :)

Unfortnately for the edges of your seats, I am leaving in a couple of hours to climb Mt. Marcy with my son and some friends. No update is likely before Monday. So now's your chance to re-read everything, wildly speculate, and otherwise have a great weekend :)

The interesting part is that the problematic part not only does not provide lift, it also does not provoke drag. It is almost like the aero model of 1.0.x is simply not seeing it. Maybe it thinks it is inside the cargo bay? I would almost recommend the pilot to open the cargo bay doors, but as the landing is already done ... ;)

The interesting part is that the problematic part not only does not provide lift, it also does not provoke drag. It is almost like the aero model of 1.0.x is simply not seeing it. Maybe it thinks it is inside the cargo bay? I would almost recommend the pilot to open the cargo bay doors, but as the landing is already done ... ;)

When did I say anything about a landing? I only said the mission was over ;)

Landing as in " something getting to land" ;) Not necessarily in one piece, and as Bob is eager to point out A LOT, it is not that the KerbFleet pilots put structural integrity of the vessel as nº1 priority :P

Edited by r_rolo1

In my opinion, this was a poor command choice by Valentina, she knew that the Humlebee had some kind of malfunction that almost cost them their lives on ascent from Duna. She should never have approved reentry - she should have called ahead for another craft to pick them up from orbit - there was plenty of time to do so. As it is, she is willingly risking the SCIENCE, and the lives of her crew as well. As for Jebediah, he hasn't been in command until now, but it appears he's doing the equivalent of what Valentina did after ascending from Duna: "You are SO relieved right now", and it looks like he will try and make the best of the situation.

Yes, I'm putting way to much thought into this.

Well, it is not Valentina call to have or not a second ship waiting for them or even the landing decision, but from Mission Control, so you have to blame the brass on the ground if the landing gets bad ( unless Val has not relayed this intel to Kerbin, which would be criminal ... ).

As for the command transfer, well, Bill is confused about who is in command , so surely he doesn't feel there was a clear transfer of command ... and in spite of the rules of command tranfer in KerbFleet being more lax that in RL ( in RL there are 3 calls ( Pilot A: "You have the flight controls" Pilot B: "I have the flight controls" Pilot A: "You have the flight controls" ... Kerbfleet apparently only uses 2 ) in consensual command transfers, apparently they use the same 1 call system than RL ( Pilot B: "I have the flight controls" ) in case on non consensual transfers , as Val herself showed in the Duna emergency.

Given this, there are 2 mistakes in the command transfer in the Kerbin reentry by KerbFleet rules and one in flight protocol ( as far as I understand it ): Val keeps control of the ship after entering a atmosphere, when the protocol is that Jeb is the atmospheric pilot, and even hints to Jeb for him to take control, but without formal transfer ; Jeb assumes control without formal control transfer and only requests it later ; Val does not formally give control to Jeb in a non emergency situation ( note that the emergency is only detected later ) but also does not assume it. Both are to blame, OFC, but IMHO Val is the one with the biggest share ;)

Edited by r_rolo1

^^all correct, but doing it right all the time wouldn't be very Kerbal, would it? :)

I should point out that the flight controls ("conn") have not been transferred--that happens independently from command of the ship in Kerbfleet. Val is still piloting. So once the two of them collect themselves and complete any command transfer unambiguously, that commander will decide whether to punch out to orbit and send for a Pogo, or attempt a landing.

Wait, puttting the evidence together I think DOB and EO0 will become one comic, or once DOB ends EO0 will include Bill Val Jeb and Lisa, as bill is shown planning to rescue bob in case of emergency, so I suspect that Bill will be going down to Eve's surface in EO0, confirmation, Kuzz?

Wait, puttting the evidence together I think DOB and EO0 will become one comic, or once DOB ends EO0 will include Bill Val Jeb and Lisa, as bill is shown planning to rescue bob in case of emergency, so I suspect that Bill will be going down to Eve's surface in EO0, confirmation, Kuzz?

I'm thinking you'll have to wait for the comic to get your confirmation... Otherwise, where's the fun? ;-)

I just caught up now. Can you believe it? Great work here, and it appears I'll be on the edge of my seat for a while.

Thanks!

Here we go again!

:0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0:

(I guess Bill can break into the craft files again to see what's up?)

Good call, though I have looked and looked and can't find anything different about the no-lift wing.

I can imagine Jebediah rolling the craft onto its side like he did on ascent from Duna, then landing it on its tail like a rocket - they have a full fuel load.

Plausible...

Heat. You don't want to have that fragile science equipment melting.

And I really would like to get Hummlebee down in one piece if I can at all help it. All right, I'm back from the mountains, let's have a couple more pages!

7GBQIRv.png

dg1CTyh.png

Twists! Turns!

Role reversals!

Breaking the fourth wall!

Chaos in the cockpit!

Thanks Kuzzter. I'm loving it as always.

So, if the characters acknowledge breaking the fourth wall, that's sort of a meta-breaking-the-fourth-wall. Or maybe breaking the ceiling. :)

Happy landings!

Hmm, I had to google the whole "fourth wall" thing :).

On the subject of F5 and F9, I have a personal theory about how they work in real life. There have been quite a few incidents in my life where Old Man Death has had me literally dead to rights with nothing I could do except think, "Vallhalla, here I come." Then the whole world kinda blinked and shifted slightly, and I was somehow not in the path of destruction. Not like I dodged it, but like I'd never been in that position to start with due to having done things slightly different beforehand. Nobody around me ever sees me teleport out of the jaws of death, instead thinking I'd never been there.

I figure this has to do with parallel universes. Every choice you make creates a parallel universe where another copy of you lives (or dies) with the choice you didn't make. However, you consciousness is only in one universe. But when you die, your consciousness jumps to some other parallel universe where you survive the situation. This I think is the real-life F5/F9 thing :)

Every choice you make creates a parallel universe where another copy of you lives (or dies) with the choice you didn't make. However, you consciousness is only in one universe. But when you die, your consciousness jumps to some other parallel universe where you survive the situation. This I think is the real-life F5/F9 thing :)

This, yes--I'm not about to test it for real, ever, but I've led a bit of a charmed existence myself and sometimes wonder if I am living in the best-of-all-possible-quicksaves. Extending the theory, I suppose one must only be truly dead when the number of possible universes where one still exists is reduced to zero. That number of possible universes is always decreasing. It decreases at a faster rate if you take a lot of chances: every game of Russian roulette, for example, instantly decreases the remaining number of possible universes by 1/6. Eventually probability catches up with all of us, and everyone elses' infinite universes go on without us.

This, yes--I'm not about to test it for real, ever, but I've led a bit of a charmed existence myself and sometimes wonder if I am living in the best-of-all-possible-quicksaves. Extending the theory, I suppose one must only be truly dead when the number of possible universes where one still exists is reduced to zero. That number of possible universes is always decreasing. It decreases at a faster rate if you take a lot of chances: every game of Russian roulette, for example, instantly decreases the remaining number of possible universes by 1/6. Eventually probability catches up with all of us, and everyone elses' infinite universes go on without us.

So basically you're saying I must avoid danger in order to ammass that army of parallel versions of me I need to take over the world?

So basically you're saying I must avoid danger in order to ammass that army of parallel versions of me I need to take over the world?
Well there's only one Parkaboy per universe. Theoretically if all of you attempted a nearly-impossible but not completely-impossible plan to take over the world, those of you who survived would indeed rule the world in those universes.

Hm. Concentrating several possible versions of a being in one universe might be the kernel of an interesting scifi plot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.