"Duna, Ore Bust!" -- a KSP Graphic Novel (COMPLETE)

Amazing as always! I really like that poem Jeb made. Is it just me, or are Jeb and Val coming closer? Also, I like how you place a Kerbal in front of the cockpit windows and take a screenshot in IVA mode of the cockpit. That makes really cool shots of this. Please do a sequel to this mission! My morning depends on that, as I'm reading your storie updates before school.

Edited by ZentroCatson

Amazing as always! I really like that poem Jeb made. Is it just me, or are Jeb and Val coming closer? Also, I like how you place a Kerbal in front of the cockpit windows and take a screenshot in IVA mode of the cockpit. That makes really cool shots of this.

Thanks! Yeah, certainly they are gaining a lot of respect for each other and learning to work as a team. As far as getting CLOSER closer--ehh, I think I am not going to bring romance into my Kerbalverse. Friendship, yes--indeed, very strong friendship--but I am not going there. I like to think of Kerbals as being very technologically advanced children, so that just wouldn't do.

Glad you like the shots. I'm doing my best to provide a variety, and praise be to the game designers for all the attention they paid to the interior and exterior spaces of the craft. I only wish you could see into the cockpit from outside, I could do a lot with that! I guess the other camera angle that's missing would be a controllable "dashcam" shot; we can't ever see Jeb or Val from the front except for in the little windows shown during exterior view. I suppose it could work to put one of them in the back seat and pretend it's the front... I might be able to do some editing to make it look good.

BTW, you guys would not believe what I go through to make sure everyone gets back to their assigned seat after a team EVA. Somehow I never manage to board them in the right order on the first try, or the second... but I know that if they sit in the wrong places you're going to see the wrong color balloon come from the wrong place and it'll give you headaches.

Edited by Kuzzter

ETA: The thread has passed 10,000 views! Whoo! That puts us in elite company with the likes of Geschosskopf and Lajoswinkler!

I think the only thread of mine that got more than 2000 views was the old Flying Duna challenge. I lack the literary and artistic talent to tell good stories such as this. But thanks anyway :).

I think the only thread of mine that got more than 2000 views was the old Flying Duna challenge. I lack the literary and artistic talent to tell good stories such as this. But thanks anyway :).

Oh? Then it must have been a different Geschosskopf who gave us the "Traveling Kethane" series ;)

Edited by Kuzzter

For the next chapter I think I'll mix things up a bit: maybe some peeks at Kerbfleet's other missions, maybe some more character-focused stuff, maybe some surprises :)

Another great episode. I was expecting Jeb to say "Heeerrrreee's Jebby!" when he looked in the window :).

I really want to find out if Humblebee can get to orbit or not. But OTOH, it's months before the window to go home and certainly other things are going on, so I suppose I'll have to be patient ;).

Here's today's installment!

euphSwG.png

fspuNzk.png

czLys1N.png

One of the best things about doing fanfic in your career save is that you can justify any poor piloting in the name of character development :)

- - - Updated - - -

Funny discussion! Kerbal as, well, Kerbal:P Are you planning to send a orbiter mission to Eve? (Well, I don't think Eve landing and return lies in your limited budget…)

I was going to let Gene or Bob answer this question Zentro, but it didn't work out within the narrative so I'll tell you :) The budget is fine, but at this point Kerbfleet is not planning a crewed landing on Eve. I'll introduce the ships we're sending in a bit--not quite a 'flotilla' as I'm not using remote tech and don't need as many probes as Geschosskopf does, but it'll be at least three elements. Hopefully I can keep you all entertained "Deep Space 9" style with happenings on and around the Evestation.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone tries to steel my puns, just remember, they're mine (as in, a mine)

I would put in more Duna mining puns, but I'm a bit rusty.

I just found your hidden message quite by accident--well played!

Edited by Kuzzter

Another great episode :).

...not quite a 'flotilla' as I'm not using remote tech and don't need as many probes as Geschosskopf does....

For the record, I'm not currently using RT, either. I have in the past but ultimately decided that KSP orbital mechanics and glitches hurt it quite badly, and that it's too old-school in this age of autonomous vehicles. So first I replaced it with Antenna Range but soon realized I could fake that without having to install the mod, so these days my commsats are just decoration and the loss of antennae during aerocaptures caused no problems. But remembering my RT days, I mentioned the latter problem as a PSA.

Another great episode :). For the record, I'm not currently using RT, either. I have in the past but ultimately decided that KSP orbital mechanics and glitches hurt it quite badly, and that it's too old-school in this age of autonomous vehicles. So first I replaced it with Antenna Range but soon realized I could fake that without having to install the mod, so these days my commsats are just decoration and the loss of antennae during aerocaptures caused no problems. But remembering my RT days, I mentioned the latter problem as a PSA.

Thanks! :)

That's interesting and too bad it doesn't work so well. Never been too interested in RT but I could go for a mod that takes transmission time into account; that is, if you are controlling a probe a light-minute away from Kerbin it takes one minute for any commands you send to be executed. You would control the probe by plotting a maneuver node, and provided the node was far enough in the future it would do the burn as programmed when it reached the correct point--timing the burn half before/half after the node. You could send an "abort" command and plot a new node if things went wrong, but the probe wouldn't get your signal right away. And you'd have the option to control a probe from any nearby crewed ship in real time.

Anyway, that's how I would want it to work but my programming skills do not rise near that level.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.