Boy Scouts of America - Compilation

Endersmens

Well the short answer, it's run by people with money and if you don't have money you better be on the good side of the guy who does.

I wasn't.

The only money issues I can remember are summer camps (to be expected from any camp) and outings (to be expected, can't do something for nothing usually)

The only money issues I can remember are summer camps (to be expected from any camp) and outings (to be expected, can't do something for nothing usually)

No, this was political money. A guy joined the troop with his son, he didn't like me, but he bought the troop all new tents and stoves, so when our Philmont expedition came up, after my parents spend $1000 on personal equipment for me, he saw too it I wasn't "allowed" to go. I was one of the founding members of that troop (well, re-founding). After that I quit, we took the case up in the ranks of the organization, but he was funding that troop so nobody wanted to cross him.

Hence, BSA is corrupt.

I was probably less than 6 months from Eagle. My parents tried to get me into another troop but that just didn't go well, I guess at the time I was too upset. As I grew older I realized the organization as a whole was really just not a good thing.

Edited by Alshain

No, this was political money. A guy joined the troop with his son, he didn't like me, but he bought the troop all new tents and stoves, so when our Philmont expedition came up, after my parents spend $1000 on personal equipment for me, he saw too it I wasn't "allowed" to go. I was one of the founding members of that troop (well, re-founding). After that I quit, we took the case up in the ranks of the organization, but he was funding that troop so nobody wanted to cross him.

Hence, BSA is corrupt.

I was probably less than 6 months from Eagle. My parents tried to get me into another troop but that just didn't go well, I guess at the time I was too upset. As I grew older I realized the organization as a whole was really just not a good thing.

I understand where your coming from, but what state/council are you in? in Texas troops, the troops are funded by the SCOUTS themselves; we have fundraisers that we do instead of people funding it for us. so usually the only time parents pay for anything at all is if the sons of said parents need gear for campouts.

I understand where your coming from, but what state/council are you in? in Texas troops, the troops are funded by the SCOUTS themselves; we have fundraisers that we do instead of people funding it for us. so usually the only time parents pay for anything at all is if the sons of said parents need gear for campouts.

Lol, I'm in Texas

I am so confused at this. Would you mind explaining?
Well the short answer, it's run by people with money and if you don't have money you better be on the good side of the guy who does.

I wasn't.

Early in my life, I knew what I wanted to do and on that list was I wanted to be a professional with the Boy Scouts. I did serve as a "unit serving executive" for six years and left disillusioned. As of December 2011, I severed all ties with the B.S.A.

As a volunteer, I had no problems. I had been a volunteer from 1988 to 2011 with two three-year terms as a professional. In my volunteer capacity, I served as Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner, Assistant District Commissioner, an Assistant Council Commissioner, member of an executive board, a Vice President of Marketing and Communications, Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster, and a Merit Badge Counselor. I loved what I did. Yes, I was a "knotter Scouter" and by the time I left Scouting I had four rows of knots, four knots were earned as a youth (Eagle Scout, Explorer Achievement Award, Arrow of Light, and Religious Emblem).

As a professional, it became all about the numbers - and what was really sad is that the council I was employed by was extremely "top heavy" where nearly all the funding we raised (as much as 60%) went to staff salaries and not into the program. I also worked 80 hour weeks, often paid for Scouts who could could not afford to pay for their registration or to attend key events. Over the years I have been awarded a number of recognitions for something that became a life-calling...

Edited by B787_300
Mod Edit

Hence, BSA is corrupt.

Well that is crazy. I've never experienced anything like that. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Edited by B787_300
Mod edit

I'm an Eagle Scout. Kinda crazy to see this thread and recognize the company I keep. Maybe not so crazy considering there is no way to see the stars like on a trek. I got my Eagle in 2012. I'm an OA member. I am from Troop 303 (Kansas). Phoenix Patrol. I am a summer camp counselor at the Cosmosphere, we have a great camp where we do the Space Exploration, Aviation, Weather, Astronomy, Robotics, and Engineering Merit badges over 5 days and then train the scouts to fly in a full size space shuttle simulator. Ironically, I taught these merit badges since I was 16 (I'm not the merit badge counselor) but only ever got Space Exploration and Weather. I have a solid total of 31 merit badges. Just a friendly reminder 11 of the 12 men to walk on the moon were scouts.

Eagle Scout from '91 out of Troop 162, OA, and camp counselor for a bit at Camp Birch here in Ohio doing cope courses/rock climbing along with Pioneering merit badge. Military brat here so I was a part of a few different troops in my time including one in Germany (Troop 64). Attended a national jamboree for the trans-Atlantic council in Europe and earned the World Crest prior to it being a standard uniform patch. One trip to Philmont Scout Ranch and a VERY special trip to a jamboree at the Brownsea Island Scout Camp in England. Another memorable Scouting experience would be camping with my troop in West Berlin just prior to the wall between east and west Berlin falling. Nothing says excitement like armed military police roaring up in armored vehicles telling you to pack your stuff and get to the trains heading back to West Germany. They were unsure how things were going to develop so they were getting us military dependents back home and out of perceived harms way. Good times :) If by some miracle someone here was around camping with the other troops or Explorer posts when this happened I'd love to get a message from you!!

Hai, just got back from Camp Ottari over here in Virginia. Currently a Life Scout, working on Eagle, and also the SPL of Troop 2860 (Chesterfield, VA). Will check how many MBs I have in the morning.. too tired to brain currently.
I'm an Eagle Scout. Kinda crazy to see this thread and recognize the company I keep. Maybe not so crazy considering there is no way to see the stars like on a trek. I got my Eagle in 2012. I'm an OA member. I am from Troop 303 (Kansas). Phoenix Patrol. I am a summer camp counselor at the Cosmosphere, we have a great camp where we do the Space Exploration, Aviation, Weather, Astronomy, Robotics, and Engineering Merit badges over 5 days and then train the scouts to fly in a full size space shuttle simulator. Ironically, I taught these merit badges since I was 16 (I'm not the merit badge counselor) but only ever got Space Exploration and Weather. I have a solid total of 31 merit badges. Just a friendly reminder 11 of the 12 men to walk on the moon were scouts.
Eagle Scout from '91 out of Troop 162, OA, and camp counselor for a bit at Camp Birch here in Ohio doing cope courses/rock climbing along with Pioneering merit badge. Military brat here so I was a part of a few different troops in my time including one in Germany (Troop 64). Attended a national jamboree for the trans-Atlantic council in Europe and earned the World Crest prior to it being a standard uniform patch. One trip to Philmont Scout Ranch and a VERY special trip to a jamboree at the Brownsea Island Scout Camp in England. Another memorable Scouting experience would be camping with my troop in West Berlin just prior to the wall between east and west Berlin falling. Nothing says excitement like armed military police roaring up in armored vehicles telling you to pack your stuff and get to the trains heading back to West Germany. They were unsure how things were going to develop so they were getting us military dependents back home and out of perceived harms way. Good times :) If by some miracle someone here was around camping with the other troops or Explorer posts when this happened I'd love to get a message from you!!

All Added!

Hello my my name is plasmeus but my real name is Ben. I am a Brotherhood member, and an eagle scout with 3 palms and the Arrow of Light. I just got the triple crown after my recent trip to Northern Tier in Canada. I actually worked at a BSA summer camp this past summer teaching 4 weeks of robotics, communications, and computers.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello my my name is plasmeus but my real name is Ben. I am a Brotherhood member, and an eagle scout with 3 palms and the Arrow of Light. I just got the triple crown after my recent trip to Northern Tier in Canada. I actually worked at a BSA summer camp this past summer teaching 4 weeks of robotics, communications, and computers.
Just wanted to pop in and say that I am also an Eagle scout. managed to get all the paper work done by my 18th birthday.

Added! :)

Hey guys! checking back in, Got back from a week in north Carolina up in the mountains, near the Appalachian trail. My brother, My long lost friend(hadn't seen him in person in over 3.5 years), and I blazed a trail down a mountain with at one point the steepness being over 50 degrees (Was a ton of fun). Anyways, My eagle board has been scheduled, for the 20th of august this year (2 days from now), Wish me luck! I'm super excited will update you with how it went right after I get back from it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.