Boy Scouts of America - Compilation

Endersmens

Figured I ask...

Any fellow APO brothers in here?

It's a national service fraternity, based on the scouting movement.  

For those who are thinking about college, or in college, and you're reading this thread, you might want to check them out.  It's a Co-ed, non dorming, service fraternity, and while they are technically dry (and national does enforce this fairly strictly), it does tend to be a very 'social' group (outside of official events).  They are based on the scouting principals, so much so I had to know the Oath and Law to get it, which wasn't a problem for 3 out of my 4 pledge brothers, as we were Eagles, but the other guy had to learn it quick.   We were required to do 25 hours of service time each semester, which our chapter mainly helped out at the local animal shelter (puppy walking day was always a blast :D).  We also did various other projects around the community.  One of which was a Monty Python Movie Marathon at the local cinema, and we donated all the proceeds to local charities.  So yeah it's a service group, but we always tried to do fun service stuff (Hey, it's college, ya know?). 

My chapter was about 2/3 Male, 1/3 Female, which was pretty good considering the school I went to was roughly 9-1 male to female.  And about a 1/5 of our members were also grad students, who were always more than helpful with the undergrads studies. 

So, knowing a strong part of KSP Forum's demographic are teens looking at colleges, if you're a scout, or just interested in service, when you are doing campus tours, see if each schools has a chapter, and message a member for info.  Most likely they will be more than happy to show you their chapter, and maybe get to know a couple people early.  If you are already at school somewhere, look them up, we have chapters everywhere, you might be interested in joining.

This wasn't intended to be an ad for the group, but I guess it turned out that way. 

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

There used to be a section in the Scout handbook about APO. I don't know if it's in the newest ones, though.

No. It was mentioned in this version: And at some universities, it came with a $500 up to $1000 per semester scholarship. :D 

I know because for my first two semesters of college, I did get $500 per semester...

554817.jpg

3 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Okay, THAT's why I never saw the mention. That's an OLD version! :D

That old version helped me through the Eagle Scout process...  And this book helped me earn three silver palms above Eagle. My last merit badge earned in 1988 was...

Spoiler

Mammal Study

61lCu2fS-QL._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

A number of posts have been removed from this thread. The original purpose of the thread was to celebrate scouting rather than to berate each other over the organization's policies, so let's get back to that discussion, please. 

50 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Buildings are replaceable. As long as everyone is uninjured, it'll be fine.

Absolutely.

I've been posting since I figured there are people who have been to the area, and might have some interest. The fire seems to be moving into Cimarron, which is unfortunate for people who live there.

over 27,000 acres now. (~110 km^2).

(Still just a speck in our big ole state, lol. A friend’s family has a 4000 acre ranch up that way)

Edited by tater

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

@Spaceception So? How'd the Court of Honor go?

I uh, misread that @Dman979 I thought I forgot to update on the BoR, and I got caught up in that thought.

I actually didn't have one. I was supposed to, but I couldn't decide on a place, and then we started getting busy, and it just fell by the wayside. :/

Edited by Spaceception
Uh...

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

I uh, misread that @Dman979 I thought I forgot to update on the BoR, and I got caught up in that thought.

I actually didn't have one. I was supposed to, but I couldn't decide on a place, and then we started getting busy, and it just fell by the wayside. :/

It's never too late! I'm going to one a year late. It's really a fun thing. See if you can get one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.