Nuclear Nerv only uses Liquid Fuel now?

mellojoe

nukes have the worst ISP while in atmo so your high atmo to LKO transition would not work you still need regular rockets for the final push, once your in space though you should be good to go. you could make a plane with very little oxi and a couple LVN for that nudge then completely switch to nukes which are also very heavy so you would probably want to use these on a bigger SSTO

Also can we have a fuel tank, rocket style that replaces the oxygen part of the tank with liquid fuel? Please, it seems silly to be launching half full.

Yeah, I had hoped tweakable fuel tanks would let us do that. The way it is now doesn't make sense to me...

Yeah, I had hoped tweakable fuel tanks would let us do that. The way it is now doesn't make sense to me...

Join the club. Interim solution: Porkjet's stock fuel switch mod, or Nertea's Cryo Engines (which also adds arguably overpowered engines to the game; I love it).

nukes have the worst ISP while in atmo so your high atmo to LKO transition would not work you still need regular rockets for the final push, once your in space though

PSA: the atmo/vacuum ISP thing is not, RPT NOT a binary affair. Nukes work well in the upper atmosphere (or on Duna, for that matter). If you don't believe me, run a test: use the PresMat Barometer or launch a booster-assisted nerva and watch it's ISP as it goes up.

Their TWR may be problematic, but their ISP will be not.

Back in 0.90 I made spaceplanes (capable of getting to orbit and back, both on Kerbin and Laythe) using only turbojets and atomic engines--if you can get fast enough and high enough with the turbojets, atomic engines can be enough to complete the orbit, and then you are, as they say, halfway to anywhere.

The problem I'm having at the moment is that I can't get "fast enough and high enough," and I'm also concerned about overheating. Certainly something to try out more later; right now I have my hands full with orbital science stations and ore refineries!

As for liquid-fuel-only tanks: try using the Mk2 and Mk3 spaceplane parts instead of conventional rocket fuel tanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.