My 3 year old son can read

jarmund

Why am I posting this here, you ask?

Very valid question, but there's a good reason for it, just be patient.

I knew my son had a basic grasp of pronouncing letters the way they sound when read as part of a word, but up until now he's mostly recognized words by the way they look, as opposed to actually reading the individual letters and contstructing words from that. All in all, he is unable to read words that he hasn't been told about. Like most other 3 year olds, I guess.

That was until today.

I was preparing dinner (pasta), while he was tinkering with my phone (He loves to play Bad Piggies). Suddenly, I hear him say "That's the sun!". I wondered what he was referring to so I had to check: It turned out that he had opened up Kerbal Space App, which I like having handy. He had opened the app, and clicked Kerbol. Well, cute, I thought, and confirmed that it was the sun, and continued with the cooking. Not long after, I hear him once more: "That's.... uh..... that's...... that's Pol!"

"What the Duck???"

I checked, and yes: He was looking at Pol. There's no way he could have picked that up elsewhere, so out of curiosity, we had a look through the app to check which others he could read, and Here's the list:

Pol

Val

Tylo (Well, first he thought it was Yoyo, but when I asked him to try again, he got it right)

Duna

Mun

Jool

Almosts:

Ike - Pronounced "Eek" because of our household language not being English.

Dres - kinda. The "Dr" sound was a bit hard, so it became Des.

So... just thought I'd mention it :)

PS: Whenever I open a youtube video, he asks me if I'm about to watch Scott Manley.

Edited by jarmund

This is fantastic and adorable. You definitely win the parenting award! Although I might steer clear of Mun, that's a little too close to our own...

PS: Whenever I open a youtube video, he asks me if I'm about to watch Scott Manley.

Your kid is a genius.

Psh. I could read at 2 ;P

jk, jk. Well, it is true, but your kid is cool too xD This is why I don't worry that much about playing too much KSP - sooner or later some organization will do a scientific study and show that KSP makes people smarter (as occurred with Portal 2 a while back).

You mean that one app that let's you calculate dV? I just checked it and it seems to be way off. It says you need about 4,5 km/s to get from Kerbin to Jool. I can easily get there with about 1,8 km/s.

We're talking about Android here, right?

You mean that one app that let's you calculate dV? I just checked it and it seems to be way off. It says you need about 4,5 km/s to get from Kerbin to Jool. I can easily get there with about 1,8 km/s.

We're talking about Android here, right?

Yes, that's the one. It presumes perfect ejection angle during optimal transfer windows, plus it hasn't been updated for 1.0.x. Also, I mainly use it for getting quick stats such as gravity and highest elevation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.