How do you open docking port cover?

When I right click on the docking port, there is no option to open the port, only "control from here." The Settings doesn't seem to have a key for controlling it. The Wiki just says "don't forget to toggle" it. I successfully docked last week, but I can't remember how I opened the port! Help!

Edited by DarkGravity

Only the "Clamp-O-Tron Shielded Docking Port" (the white one), and the aircraft body in-line ones can be opened. None of the normal ones (grey) can be opened. If there's no option on the menu, you're probably not using the shielded port.

Also, make sure you're clicking the port, and not the pod it's attached to, or something like that.

Docking ports are intended to connect to another docking port of the same type on another craft. They are not doors that can be opened to the vacuum of space like the entrances to the various pods and containers.

Still won't dock. Can't get any closer than that.

Can't be certain, but it's probably broken due to being heavily clipped inside other objects. Docking ports don't mix with clipping.

Right click on the tanks involved, holding the Alt key on the keyboard. The fuel transfer system isn't ideal as I guess you'll discover in time but that's all you really need to know.

interference from the white RCS tanks (look like goo canisters) is prolly causing the clipping?

- - - Updated - - -

turning off SAS did it! Thanks so much!!

Now how do I get fuel from the tanker?

Right click on a fuel tank, then hold the modifier key (on windows it is Alt) then right click on other fuel tanks. "In" and "Out" options will appear. All fuel tanks will transfer equally. ( If you press "In", all selected fuel tanks feed to the tank; "Out" distributes to all selected tanks from the tank)

interference from the white RCS tanks (look like goo canisters) is prolly causing the clipping?

Not "causing" the clipping, that is the clipping  you have clipped the objects together when building it. Clipping is any time you have multiple objects occupying the same volume (intersecting), even a little, unless it's actually designed to do that.

The 1.25m docking port will always have clipping on the back of it (the side that attaches to your ship), that's by design and fine. It's clipping on the front/outer side of it that could well be problematic, anything outside the yellow/black line on it.

ALT + Right click on the fuel tank to transfer to (or from) then ALT + Right click on the fuel tank to transfer from (or to)

You then click "in" or "out" next to the resource bars to transfer.

You an ALT + right click on more more than the two, should you say want to refuel 3 small tanks from one large one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.