[DEVTHREAD]Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

I just wanted to say thanks for a nice and interesting mod.

Greetings from "The little tent on the flats"

http://i62.tinypic.com/jsd28j.jpg

Looks great! I'd like to add that image as one of the screenshots to the first post, may I credit you and add the image?

I definitely have more to do but I'll have a 1.0.3 update out asap.

Side note: I noticed that the Chuckwagon tends to sag when being mounted to the side of the Ponderosa. I think KIS supports attachment via node, and might give that a try. If that works better, then I'll retire the current method of mounting parts to the Ponderosa's attachment points.

Also, I find orienting the Saddle so that the Ponderosa faces a certain way to be challenging. I think adding a step on the front will give you an indication of where the front door will end up. I'll make that change for next update.

Looks great! I'd like to add that image as one of the screenshots to the first post, may I credit you and add the image?

I definitely have more to do but I'll have a 1.0.3 update out asap.

Ofc, you can freely use the picture.

Side note 1: A suggestion is a new upgrades ground mount. A lightweight 0.625 tripod for mounting all kind of sensors and antennas.

For the lightweight tripod something like this

Type_79_Jyu-MAT_anti-tank_missile_front.jpg

Side note 2: Another good thing to have would be a crane. It does not need to be able to move but the function would be to render lifting assisting for the kerbals man-handle parts around (parts>1 ton) inside a radius from it. It could be mounted on either the KIS foundation part or on the saddle. For more serious basebuilding :)

moon-crane.jpg

Ofc, you can freely use the picture.

Side note 1: A suggestion is a new upgrades ground mount. A lightweight 0.625 tripod for mounting all kind of sensors and antennas.

For the lightweight tripod something like this

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/Type_79_Jyu-MAT_anti-tank_missile_front.jpg

Side note 2: Another good thing to have would be a crane. It does not need to be able to move but the function would be to render lifting assisting for the kerbals man-handle parts around (parts>1 ton) inside a radius from it. It could be mounted on either the KIS foundation part or on the saddle. For more serious basebuilding :)

http://www.enjoyspace.com/uploads/editorial_cases/avril2009/4x4lunaire/moon-crane.jpg

Awesome, thank you. :) The tripod I can look into, the crane might not be possible depending upon how KIS is implemented. If I understand the concept, so long as the crane is assembled, it will effectively increase the mass limit that a kerbal can carry within a set radius. Does that sound about right?

That sounds like the concept I imagine. Because you already can increase part lifting ability by moving another kerbal in range I think it might be possible KIS will support it.

I like it. I'll do some research and see what can be done. May take a bit..

I did find this intressting.

https://github.com/KospY/KIS/wiki/ModuleKISPickup

canDetach: Allow detachment of part attached.

detachMaxMass: Maximum mass detachable.

maxDistance: Maximum range of grab.

maxMass: Maximum movable part mass.

dropSndPath: Drop sound path.

attachSndPath: Attach sound path.

detachSndPath: Detach sound path

I will try to create dummy part and test it out , when i return to stationary computer in a few days

Also I think some of this concept belong in the KIS dev thread, and reading his planed features some of it is already planed.

Planned

2.5m and 3.75m containers + mounts

Mechanical help for moving and attaching bigger parts

Storing vessels

Kerbal parachute

Items improvements

More items

Crafting

Building construction

Edited by Prime flux

I'm having a bit of an issue with the modules: after assembling my base on minmus (1 ponderosa, 3 chuckwagons) I left for the space center, came back, and the whole structure was thrown into the air. This seemed to happen whenever the structure was loaded into physics. I am going to test this with KJR later and see what happens. Thx.

Edit: KJR still launches the base into the air, but it doesn't shake it like in stock.

Edited by kineticPull

Question about using CKAN/KerbalStuff. Since my mods share common assets (templates, decals, etc.) I understand that for CKAN they need to be placed in a separate mod. But what about KerbalStuff? My concern is that by breaking up the install into separate mods, users won't download the WildBlueTools from KerbalStuff, and I'll get a bunch of support requests. I want to make sure that if I separate out the tools from DSEV/Pathfinder, that users will have the complete download if downloading files from KerbalStuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't tried your newer download but the Stock structuralPanel1 still working like a charm :wink:

Great, glad to hear. :) Thus far, I've had no issues with the reworked Saddle. Next update will have a small step on the Saddle so that you know which way is the front door when you mount up the Ponderosa.

Question about using CKAN/KerbalStuff. Since my mods share common assets (templates, decals, etc.) I understand that for CKAN they need to be placed in a separate mod. But what about KerbalStuff? My concern is that by breaking up the install into separate mods, users won't download the WildBlueTools from KerbalStuff, and I'll get a bunch of support requests. I want to make sure that if I separate out the tools from DSEV/Pathfinder, that users will have the complete download if downloading files from KerbalStuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Great, glad to hear. :) Thus far, I've had no issues with the reworked Saddle. Next update will have a small step on the Saddle so that you know which way is the front door when you mount up the Ponderosa.

Might be best to ask this in the CKAN thread ( CKAN Thread ). I know other mod authors have common asset packs also and are on CKAN, Toadicus for one. Never mind Angel-125 is already on top of this.

I'm having a bit of an issue with the modules: after assembling my base on minmus (1 ponderosa, 3 chuckwagons) I left for the space center, came back, and the whole structure was thrown into the air. This seemed to happen whenever the structure was loaded into physics. I am going to test this with KJR later and see what happens. Thx.

Edit: KJR still launches the base into the air, but it doesn't shake it like in stock.

Missed your post, apologies. Bases launch into the air when the Saddle is not properly bolted to the ground. I find that the best way to ensure that it stays put is to drag the Saddle out of my inventory, drop it onto the ground, pick it up and then press X to attach it to the ground. I will usually then try to run into it. If the Saddle isn't pushed around by the kerbal, then it is properly attached to the ground. In my testing I had similar problems with the KIS concrete base and the same technique resolved the issue. I will put together a video showing how to setup the Saddle and Ponderosa as soon as I can.

Might be best to ask this in the CKAN thread ( CKAN Thread ). I know other mod authors have common asset packs also and are on CKAN, Toadicus for one. Never mind Angel-125 is already on top of this.

Yup, pfj was able to answer my question. I can still bundle WildBlueTools with DSEV and Pathfinder, but also create a WildBlueTools mod, and have CKAN require the WildBlueTools mod.

Yup, pfj was able to answer my question. I can still bundle WildBlueTools with DSEV and Pathfinder, but also create a WildBlueTools mod, and have CKAN require the WildBlueTools mod.

this makes me so excited *carlton dance*.......and if you dont know what that is....for shame

I played around with this, built a small base in my career. Here is my best screenshot of it:

http://i.imgur.com/hRjc4Xp.png

Feel free to use it, as long as you give me credit :wink:! Also, I'm very excited for the Mineshaft!

Thanks! :) It's nice to see how others are using the mod. I appreciate the use of your screenshot, I'm delighted to showcase it and credit your work.

The release is delayed a bit while I straighten out the folders for CKAN support and work on infrastructure needed for future updates. I'm shooting for this weekend for the next update. Hopefully by then you'll be seeing Pathfinder up on CKAN along with the Mineshaft and a new Ponderosa template. I've also planned out the design for the Geology Lab update.

Get the latest release here!

0.1.4: Raw Hide

Developer Notes: When I started working on Multipurpose Colony Modules, I always intended to have the player spend resources to reconfigure the module. Its successor, Pathfinder, finally realizes that vision. Similarly, certain templates require a specific skill to reconfigure the module into its new configuration. The new requirements add a new challenge to the gameplay without overly complicating the system. But as always, it’s your game, your choice, so you can disable these requirements if you prefer not to play with them. Simply press Alt P to bring up the Pathfinder settings window, and uncheck the box next to “requires resources to reconfigure.†If you uncheck the box, the Ponderosa won’t require resources to inflate and outfit the module either. Similarly, you can disable the skill requirement.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The directory structure has changed. Please delete the WildBlueIndustries folder before installing this update.

NOTE: Please pack up your Ponderosas before applying this patch.

- The Ponderosa now requires RocketParts to inflate the module and to reconfigure it. Be sure to have an ample supply of RocketParts on your vessel. If you prefer to not use this feature, simply press Alt P to bring up the Pathfinder Settings window to disable it.

- Added the Conestoga Multipurpose Logistics Module (MLM). The Conestoga holds a lot more stuff than the Buckboard, but it’s not very hand-portable.

- Added the Mineshaft Portable Crew Tube (PCT). Mount one on each Ponderosa that you want to connect to, and then link them together, just like the KAS pipe.

- Added the Ponderosa Habitat template to the Ponderosa. It will be helpful in the future, but right now it's decorative.

- Refactored the directory structure for CKAN support.

Side Note: I've published the WildBlueTools separately, and after talking with the folks on the CKAN thread, I can bundle 000WildBlueTools folder with DSEV and Pathfinder, but have a .netkan requirement for the latest WildBlueTools along with ModuleManager. This weekend I can look into doing that.

Neat stuff! I personally don't want that requirement feature, thanks for an option to disable it! Now I finally need to update to 1.0.4, wish me luck!

Edit:

Will something bad happen if I don't deflate the Ponderosa before updating?

Edit:

I forgot to deflate the Ponderosa…

Edited by ZentroCatson

Neat stuff! I personally don't want that requirement feature, thanks for an option to disable it! Now I finally need to update to 1.0.4, wish me luck!

Edit:

Will something bad happen if I don't deflate the Ponderosa before updating?

Edit:

I forgot to deflate the Ponderosa…

Sure thing. :) I need to create a tooltip so that the first time you try and it fails, you're pointed to the settings window.

You should be ok, deflating the Ponderosa is a precaution

Edited by Angel-125

Installed 1.0.4, works good except for some weird graphical stuff… Need to do some more work to fix that. Also, expect some more screenshots in the future, now showing my complete base with the Mineshaft in action :D.

Installed 1.0.4, works good except for some weird graphical stuff… Need to do some more work to fix that. Also, expect some more screenshots in the future, now showing my complete base with the Mineshaft in action :D.

Can you be more specific about the weird graphical stuff? Not much for me to go on..:)

I cant inflate the Ponderosas from EVA anymore. Even if I turn off the rocket part requirement. This means I have to connect the Ponderosas to another command nod before inflating it. As you can´t enter the module before it is inflated. Same problem when you want to deflate it. It becomes a moment 22 which is kind of annoying.

Mayby you could use the manage operation with a option to active the module in current config and this is what consume rocket parts and inflate/deflate is free.