[DEVTHREAD]Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Great question. At the present time, I have not integrated the mod with CTT. But if CTT doesn't remove nodes in the stock tree, you should be ok.

Great feedback, thank you. :) Consider the MC-16 communications link to be a part of the Gaslight. Yay reduced parts count! I have some other ideas in mind for next update to help keep the base's part count low as well, but still work with KIS/KAS.

I think a combination of the two- lowering the EC levels on both the Outback and the Buckboard to EC amounts appropriate to the tech level, and requiring RocketParts to make the conversion, will solve the problem.

That sounds like a fantastic solution actually. Keeps it in line with the processes already being established for field changes and also helps to balance out the power issue. Great idea!

On the CTT question - no, CTT doesn't remove or change any of the stock nodes, only adds to them. Additionally, it only adds 3 nodes to the stock tree through the 90 point science level, of which I'd probably only consider moving one item from Pathfinder into - the Conestoga being moved from Advanced Construction to Storage Technology on the CTT. IMHO, where these parts fall on the tree with or without the CTT is fairly good.

...The Prime Flux Battery option is WAY overpowered...

Prime Flux is always overpowered, fact of life. :cool:

Warning: This statement may contain traces of irony

Edited by Prime flux

This mod is great! I cant wait to unlock enough tech to land something safe on Mun and deploy some things!

Also, yeah. CommunityTechTree inegration would be awesome!

And one question about that "prospecting" thing you wrote in OP. So, the mechanic is like this - I get an early resourse scanner, low resolution. And then I deploy a camp in resourceful region and find stuff locally, with rovers? Am I right?

Also, a suggestion. Inflatable lab module, pleeease :)

Loved this <3
This mod is great! I cant wait to unlock enough tech to land something safe on Mun and deploy some things!

Also, yeah. CommunityTechTree inegration would be awesome!

And one question about that "prospecting" thing you wrote in OP. So, the mechanic is like this - I get an early resourse scanner, low resolution. And then I deploy a camp in resourceful region and find stuff locally, with rovers? Am I right?

Also, a suggestion. Inflatable lab module, pleeease :)

Glad you like it. :) Prospecting is a work in progress, but it goes like this: Send a TERRAIN satellite to polar orbit to scan the planet. Land a Ponderosa configured as a Pathfinder Geology Lab, and staff it with at least one astronaut (bonus points for staffing it with experienced Scientists). Use the Geology Lab to perform an analysis of the biome. Take a scientist out for a stroll with a Gold Digger drill (rovers work just fine for this). Use the drill to take core samples. If you get a good result, you can improve your resource extraction rates for all your drills in the biome. If you get bad results, you could get worse extraction rates. Hope that helps. :)

And thank you for the suggestion, I do have plans to add an inflatable science lab. It will take awhile though, there's a lot on my todo list, heh.

Edited by Angel-125

Angel - if you want any help with any sort of non-standard science lab cfg file I'd be glad to help. I'm slowly but surely getting all the mathematics behind the various parameters nailed down for science labs since they really don't make a lot of sense once you start getting away from the stock MPL configuration e.g faster processing+lower data output, varied surface/context bonuses etc.

Angel - if you want any help with any sort of non-standard science lab cfg file I'd be glad to help. I'm slowly but surely getting all the mathematics behind the various parameters nailed down for science labs since they really don't make a lot of sense once you start getting away from the stock MPL configuration e.g faster processing+lower data output, varied surface/context bonuses etc.

Thanks, I'll definitely take you up on that. I have ideas on that ModuleScienceConverter but I need a good education on how it works. :)

Glad you like it. :) Prospecting is a work in progress, but it goes like this: Send a TERRAIN satellite to polar orbit to scan the planet. Land a Ponderosa configured as a Pathfinder Geology Lab, and staff it with at least one astronaut (bonus points for staffing it with experienced Scientists). Use the Geology Lab to perform an analysis of the biome. Take a scientist out for a stroll with a Gold Digger drill (rovers work just fine for this). Use the drill to take core samples. If you get a good result, you can improve your resource extraction rates for all your drills in the biome. If you get bad results, you could get worse extraction rates. Hope that helps. :)

And thank you for the suggestion, I do have plans to add an inflatable science lab. It will take awhile though, there's a lot on my todo list, heh.

That is really nice. The biome exploration aspect of resource extraction is going to be much more streamlined and structured this way. It's something that is lacking in other mods related to mining.

That is really nice. The biome exploration aspect of resource extraction is going to be much more streamlined and structured this way. It's something that is lacking in other mods related to mining.

Thanks. :) One thing I noticed in my games is wondering what to do on a planet after the initial flags and footprints. I'm trying to answer that question with Pathfinder. :)

Any possibility of a training camp, like MKS/OKS's Akademy?

Good question. I do not have plans to add an Akademy, but Pathfinder is very flexible, so you could create a template for the Ponderosa that would add an Akademy if you have the right mod installed. I have been meaning to create a wiki page on how to create templates so I'll add that to my todo list. It is actually pretty straightforward if you look at the existing templates as examples. I'll have to include the Photoshop decal template file I use to make the decals too.

I wound up lobbing a couple of containers of parts over to the quad west of the VAB. Made the KSC look like it was hosting a summer camp or media day. ;)

Very cool. If you have a screenshot and would like it showcased on the front page, I'll be happy to upload it and credit your work. :)

Good question. I do not have plans to add an Akademy, but Pathfinder is very flexible, so you could create a template for the Ponderosa that would add an Akademy if you have the right mod installed. I have been meaning to create a wiki page on how to create templates so I'll add that to my todo list. It is actually pretty straightforward if you look at the existing templates as examples. I'll have to include the Photoshop decal template file I use to make the decals too.

That would be awesome. I have MKS/OKS installed, so it should be a simple matter of using its config, but decals and other things would be great. Thanks. :)

Get the latest here!

0.1.6: Neon Light

Need a light? The Gaslight Telescopic Lamppost has you covered. Plant it in the ground (if you can run into it and move it, it’s not planted properly), extend the pole, and turn on the lights. It has a small battery built in, but for continual use, be sure to plug it into your base using its built-in KAS ports. It even serves as a short-range omnidirectional antenna- thanks for the suggestion, MeCripp, hope you like the MC-16 communications link. :) Don’t like the color? Are the lights too bright? You can change them in the field through the light’s right-click menu.

This update supports the OSE Workshop as a new template for the Ponderosa, and adds a new MaterialKits storage template as well. OSEWorkshop lets you 3D print individual parts like hammers, the Mk1 command pod, and even another Ponderosa. If you download OSE Workshop (I recommended the mod), you’ll be able to 3D print parts if you have enough MaterialKits.

In keeping with the mod's spirit of jurry-rigging what you need, you can now re-engineer the Buckboard and Outback into batteries. This is a revision to the battery template added last update. Additionally, you can now reconfigure drills to drill for different resources. You'll see this concept of jurry-rigging in other parts in the future.

Finally, there are some bug fixes, infrastructure changes, and integrated standard KAS ports to help keep your base’s part count down.

NOTE: Please retire your existing TERRAIN scanners (unless you're savy enough to open your save file and replace PhotoSupplies with ResearchKits).

New Parts

- Added the Gaslight Telescopic Lamppost. It comes with a 4-way KAS pipe junction.

Saddle

- Added a pair of integrated KAS pipes.

Outback

- If attached to a command pod that can hold crew, the Outback will have the ability to recharge its EVA Propellant.

Templates

- Added the Blacksmith 3D Print Shop template to the Ponderosa. This will only be available if you have OSE Workshop installed (I recommend the mod).

- Added a new storage template to hold MaterialKits.

- Renamed PhotoSupplies to ResearchKits, and changed the icon.

- Changed the icon for the Ponderosa Habitat.

- The Battery template's EC levels have been nerfed; The Outback holds 154EC, while the Buckboard holds 611EC (comparable to a stack of three Z-200 batteries). Additionally, you'll need RocketParts and an Engineer to convert the Outback/Buckboard into batteries (which of course can be turned off using the Settings window). To convert the Buckboard/Outback into a battery, right-click the part to open the action menu, and press the "Convert to battery" button. You can convert the Buckboard/Outback back into a storage container as well.

Other

- Created a wiki page describing how to add a template to the Ponderosa: https://github.com/Angel-125/Pathfinder/wiki/Anatomy-Of-A-Template

Bug Fixes

- Fixed an issue where the Buckboard would incorrectly show a ToggleAnimation button during EVA.

Recommended Mods

OSE Workshop: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108234-1-0-2-OSE-Workshop-MKS-KIS-Addon-%28v0-7-3-2015-06-01%29

So just few days ago I saw OSE mod. It is good, and I thought it'll be a nice addition to my future Pathfinder missions

And now I'm like - holy Terra on burning rollerskates, this is sooo cool! :)

LOVE the mod!

but since the last update OSE workshopparts require MaterialKits instead of RocketParts... where can i get MaterialKits or how do you make those?

btw: little screenshot, all that fits in the shuttle/spaceplane you see in the background (OPT mod).

20054791811_79c7dc35f8_h.jpgscreenshot27 by Bart Blommaerts, on Flickr

Edited by Denko666

LOVE the mod!

but since the last update OSE workshopparts require MaterialKits instead of RocketParts... where can i get MaterialKits or how do you make those?

btw: little screenshot, all that fits in the shuttle/spaceplane you see in the background (OPT mod).

Material Kits can be made using the OSE recycler. It's another module that's part of the OSE mod and processes ore into kits. And yeah - this is a very handy addition to tote around with Pathfinder...or just about any other base you can think of. It's become a pretty standard part of every base or station I build now. Way too useful...

- - - Updated - - -

VERY NICE additions! I love the OSE and use it all over the place so having this as part of the Pathfinder templates is amazingly cool. Attach a recycler to the Conestoga, set the material kits or add an OSE container and presto! Portable Pathfinder Erector Set!

Great job as always Angel!

im trying to reconfigure a module from geology to blacksmith but it keeps saying "No need to reconfigure to same module type"

edit: nvm...kept playing around with it and eventually worked