[DEVTHREAD]Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

So just few days ago I saw OSE mod. It is good, and I thought it'll be a nice addition to my future Pathfinder missions

And now I'm like - holy Terra on burning rollerskates, this is sooo cool! k_smiley.gif

Glad you like it. :) I definitely enjoy the OSE Workshop, it's a lifesaver.

LOVE the mod!

but since the last update OSE workshopparts require MaterialKits instead of RocketParts... where can i get MaterialKits or how do you make those?

btw: little screenshot, all that fits in the shuttle/spaceplane you see in the background (OPT mod).

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/470/20054791811_79c7dc35f8_h.jpgscreenshot27 by Bart Blommaerts, on Flickr

Awesome picture! I'll add your credits and put it into the showcase album. :)

Material Kits can be made using the OSE recycler. It's another module that's part of the OSE mod and processes ore into kits. And yeah - this is a very handy addition to tote around with Pathfinder...or just about any other base you can think of. It's become a pretty standard part of every base or station I build now. Way too useful...

- - - Updated - - -

VERY NICE additions! I love the OSE and use it all over the place so having this as part of the Pathfinder templates is amazingly cool. Attach a recycler to the Conestoga, set the material kits or add an OSE container and presto! Portable Pathfinder Erector Set!

Great job as always Angel!

Thanks! :) OSE Workshop is really cool. In past games, I would forget some crucial part on my ship and curse myself for figuring out after the ship reached its destination. Now I can curse myself and then promptly print one up. :)

Ummm, your changelog for 0.1.6 has a link to Youtube video for Blake Shelton.

Please remove it

The link is there as a theme song, is there a policy in the community rules or add-on posting rules that says no youtube links in the readme? Maybe I'm missing something. If this is an issue then I'd like to contact a moderator and get clarification. Is there a link to do so? I've temporarily updated the readme until this is sorted but I'd like to speak with a moderator to get an official word.

im trying to reconfigure a module from geology to blacksmith but it keeps saying "No need to reconfigure to same module type"

edit: nvm...kept playing around with it and eventually worked

I saw that once during testing but couldn't reproduce it and thought it was user error on my part. If you run into the issue again, please let me know what steps you took. :)

Edited by Angel-125

Very nice new update. I just got my first Pathfinder base on minmus up and running. I just brought one of my 3D printers with standard OSE containers to hold MaterialKits, just to find out your newest release has MaterialKit storage and 3D printer templates for the ponderosa. Thank you for this incredible integration. Here is a picture of the pioneer mission with the landers and a single ponderosa.

XB0Vt9I.png

- - - Updated - - -

im trying to reconfigure a module from geology to blacksmith but it keeps saying "No need to reconfigure to same module type"

edit: nvm...kept playing around with it and eventually worked

I have the same Issue here but was not able to resolve it yet

Very nice new update. I just got my first Pathfinder base on minmus up and running. I just brought one of my 3D printers with standard OSE containers to hold MaterialKits, just to find out your newest release has MaterialKit storage and 3D printer templates for the ponderosa. Thank you for this incredible integration. Here is a picture of the pioneer mission with the landers and a single ponderosa.

http://i.imgur.com/XB0Vt9I.png

- - - Updated - - -

I have the same Issue here but was not able to resolve it yet

Nice picture. :) It sounds like there is a bug that I need to investigate. Meanwhile, next update will offer another scientific merit...

And I'm delighted to provide integration with OSE Workshop. Your mod fits the vision of ISRU production of habitats perfectly. :)

Edited by Angel-125

Neat looking mod, but I'm totally confused by RocketParts. Where are they and how do I get them??

Good question. RocketParts are a resource that originated from the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod and are now part of the Community Resource Pack as well. They are the standard for building spacecraft at a base or station in flight. Currently Pathfinder does not have the means to make RocketParts. You can disable the RocketPartss requirements by opening the settings window, which is done by holding down Alt and P at the same time. Or you can install Extraplanetary Launchpads and use the Smelter to make RocketParts. Hope that helps. :)

After setting up my first Pathfinder base I started to investigate what I can do with the different ponderosa configurations and I am a bit confused. I expect the habitat to just have space for more than just one kerbal, but I have no Idea what the geo lab is for. I started an expermiment with a scientist inside and it told me that I got some science points. Will this science be available immediately or do I need to transfer it back to kerbin and if yes how? What else can I do with this GEO lab. Based on the picture from the first post I would think, that it will help me to find resources, but I can't figure out what I need to do.

After setting up my first Pathfinder base I started to investigate what I can do with the different ponderosa configurations and I am a bit confused. I expect the habitat to just have space for more than just one kerbal, but I have no Idea what the geo lab is for. I started an expermiment with a scientist inside and it told me that I got some science points. Will this science be available immediately or do I need to transfer it back to kerbin and if yes how? What else can I do with this GEO lab. Based on the picture from the first post I would think, that it will help me to find resources, but I can't figure out what I need to do.

Thanks for the questions. :) To understand the geology lab, it's best if I provide some context that describes how the geoscience tools in the mod work together. Currently, the stock resource detection works like this:

1) Fly the M700 Survey Scanner to the celestial body of interest and enter a polar obit. This will provide a big picture of the celestial body’s resources.

2) Land the Surface Scanning Module on the celestial body and perform an analysis of the biome to improve scanning resolution of the biome’s resources.

3) Fly the M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner near the desired biome to pinpoint the highest resource concentrations in the local area.

With Pathfinder, it works like this (warning, spoilers ahead. The in-game tool-tips are there to give hints, these spoilers will outright give you the answers)

1) Fly the TERRAIN Geo Scanner to the celestial body of interest and enter a polar obit. This will provide a big picture of the celestial body’s resources. Once you've completed the survey, you can initiate continuous resource monitoring (similar to how NASA conducts Earth Watch experiments) to gain Science over time. That Science will be immediately available (your Science value shown in the game's GUI will immediately be updated), though I might change it to use the stock experiment window in the future to make it more clear. Of course, since you get the TERRAIN earlier in the tech tree than the M700, the TERRAIN might break down and need fixing. It certainly will require servicing at some point to replenish its ResearchKits, which are used up while performing its continuous resource monitoring (I picture ResearchKits representing Polaroid photos that are digitally scanned and then discarded, with the scanned image being transmitted back to KSC). Instead of the TERRAIN, you could fly the M700 Survey Scanner into polar orbit once it becomes available much later in the tech tree.

2) Land a Ponderosa configured as a Pathfinder Geology Lab onto the celestial body and perform an analysis of the biome to improve scanning resolution of its resources. This is the same thing as landing the stock Surface Scanning Module onto the celestial body once that part becomes available. The important difference is that the Lab gives you a bit of Science for all the trouble of landing people and equipment on the planet to perform the analysis. Right now that Science is immediately available, though that might change to use the stock experiment window in the future to make it more clear. And just like the tiny surface scanning module, the Geology lab can show you its current location as well as the local concentration of resources.

3) Land the Gold Digger Portable Mini-Drill on the biome and take a core sample. Each core sample brings with it a chance to improve or worsen the landscape’s resource concentrations. For gameplay reasons, you’ll have a limited number of attempts to alter the landscape’s resource concentrations. If you happen to have a Geology Lab staffed with scientists in the area, the lab will improve your core sample results. For this step, think of Pathfinder as a space western, and you're a gambler. :)

4) Fly the M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner near the desired biome to pinpoint the highest resource concentrations in the local area.

In addition to the above functionality, the Geology lab is equipped with a seismometer if you have the Impact mod installed (one of the recommended mods). From the Geology Lab, you can press the button marked "Review Impact Data" to review the experiment. It will only show up if you crashed a vessel into the planet and you captured data.

Hopefully that explains the purpose of the Pathfinder Geology Lab. For the Ponderosa Habitat template, right now it's just a decorative set piece for role-play reasons. It doesn't really have any useful functionality. I just checked to make sure, but the Ponderosa Habitat template does indeed have space for four kerbals.

Hope that helps. :)

Thank you for the clarifaction. I did not do the orbital scan yet. I will perform this the next time I play and than retry the geo lab.

I am asuming I need to do the above steps in this order to get useful information on the resources, right?

Thank you for the clarifaction. I did not do the orbital scan yet. I will perform this the next time I play and than retry the geo lab.

I am asuming I need to do the above steps in this order to get useful information on the resources, right?

Yup. :) Pathfinder essentially follows the stock progression of scanning for resources, with the additional step of the core samples. And thanks for the shout out, just saw that. :)

Hey, I just got the gaslight update from CKAN and it looks awesome! Can't wait to test it out in the field. I had a couple of feature requests/suggestions that are inspired by it though:

- A light-less version of the gaslight with the top of the boom replaced with an attachment point so one can attach solar panels, different lights, etc.

- A center node-only version with 4 pipe junctions, a top attachment point and bottom/radial attachment points. This would be a simple pipe extension node that helps to keep part count down. A player could also attach a rover body to the bottom and an autopilot so that a bunch of nodes can be landed and driven to various locations to pre-prep a site for astronaut arrival.

- A standalone version of the gaslight extendable boom. I've been looking *forever* for something like this. Infernal robotics has some linear slides that I use a lot but they're big and heavy. Also they don't expand or contract, just move linearly so compact designs are difficult to make. I would absolutely love the ability to have a space station that deploys small docking ports radially after it gets to space, landers that can lower KIS/science modules from the bottom of the lander down to where the astronauts are on the surface, etc, etc.

- A larger version of the above that's scaled to be the same width as the stock modular girder segments for heavier duty construction.

- Integration of both of those into the Infernal Robotics control system would be an awesome bonus.

Hey, I just got the gaslight update from CKAN and it looks awesome! Can't wait to test it out in the field. I had a couple of feature requests/suggestions that are inspired by it though:

- A light-less version of the gaslight with the top of the boom replaced with an attachment point so one can attach solar panels, different lights, etc.

- A center node-only version with 4 pipe junctions, a top attachment point and bottom/radial attachment points. This would be a simple pipe extension node that helps to keep part count down. A player could also attach a rover body to the bottom and an autopilot so that a bunch of nodes can be landed and driven to various locations to pre-prep a site for astronaut arrival.

- A standalone version of the gaslight extendable boom. I've been looking *forever* for something like this. Infernal robotics has some linear slides that I use a lot but they're big and heavy. Also they don't expand or contract, just move linearly so compact designs are difficult to make. I would absolutely love the ability to have a space station that deploys small docking ports radially after it gets to space, landers that can lower KIS/science modules from the bottom of the lander down to where the astronauts are on the surface, etc, etc.

- A larger version of the above that's scaled to be the same width as the stock modular girder segments for heavier duty construction.

- Integration of both of those into the Infernal Robotics control system would be an awesome bonus.

Great ideas, thanks. :) They sound like cool ideas, though unfortunately some cannot be done due to the way the model is designed. The attachment point on the end of the telescopic pole is one; I use an animation to extend the pole, and the game does not handle moving nodes through animation at all. For examply, try attaching parts to the doors of a cargo bay, and then open the doors. What you could do though is download zoidinfuser's Infernal Robotics model rework, which does have stacking telecopic poles.

I do have plans for a solar array that makes use of the Gaslight's base unit and pole. Your suggestion of a base unit with top and bottom nodes and no pole is possible. I have found that adding a radial attachment node on the bottom of a part that also attaches to the ground causes the part to explode, so the base unit wouldn't be ground attached if it could be radially attached.

Edited by Angel-125

I have found that adding a radial attachment node on the bottom of a part that also attaches to the ground causes the part to explode, so the base unit wouldn't be ground attached if it could be radially attached.

There IS a way around this, actually, and it doesn't involve a .cfg hack. Throw down a radial attach piece, then node attach the Gaslight. No explosions, no need to run power cables, and it's locked in tight. Best of all, you can just remove it when you're done. :)

Good question. RocketParts are a resource that originated from the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod and are now part of the Community Resource Pack as well. They are the standard for building spacecraft at a base or station in flight. Currently Pathfinder does not have the means to make RocketParts. You can disable the RocketPartss requirements by opening the settings window, which is done by holding down Alt and P at the same time. Or you can install Extraplanetary Launchpads and use the Smelter to make RocketParts. Hope that helps. :)

Aha, so it's dependent on another mod. Thanks for the clarification. I was putting actual rocket parts into the inflation module's KIS inventory, wondering what the heck I'm supposed to do (don't worry, I was just testing it on the runway. I didn't go to the Mun and get surprised by the RocketParts message or anything).

Okay, been doing some abusive field testing...

If you have an Outback stowed in a Kerbal's inventory, they seem to have issues with clipping into the surfaces they walk on if you're running around the KSC. Haven't taken it any further afield yet, but the climb up to the top of the VAB was a major ordeal for poor Kathrice Kerman. Quickcrete everywhere on the "stairwell"... No issues on the ladders, though.

Oh, and NEVER. EVER. Set an Outback down and then change focus. It'll phase through the ground and just... vanish. This also seems to summon the Kraken, as well.

Okay, been doing some abusive field testing...

If you have an Outback stowed in a Kerbal's inventory, they seem to have issues with clipping into the surfaces they walk on if you're running around the KSC. Haven't taken it any further afield yet, but the climb up to the top of the VAB was a major ordeal for poor Kathrice Kerman. Quickcrete everywhere on the "stairwell"... No issues on the ladders, though.

Oh, and NEVER. EVER. Set an Outback down and then change focus. It'll phase through the ground and just... vanish. This also seems to summon the Kraken, as well.

LOL! :) Thanks for the testing. That last part gave me chuckles. :) Anyway, I will double-check to make sure that I have a collider set on the Outback. If not, that might explain why it falls through the ground.

Great ideas, thanks. :) They sound like cool ideas, though unfortunately some cannot be done due to the way the model is designed. The attachment point on the end of the telescopic pole is one; I use an animation to extend the pole, and the game does not handle moving nodes through animation at all. For examply, try attaching parts to the doors of a cargo bay, and then open the doors. What you could do though is download zoidinfuser's Infernal Robotics model rework, which does have stacking telecopic poles.

Ah, that explains a lot. That's why all of the Infernal stuff is static objects that move past each other, not things that expand or shrink. Do you know if anyone has tried a set of nested tubes that extend out like an old portable radio antenna?

I do have plans for a solar array that makes use of the Gaslight's base unit and pole. Your suggestion of a base unit with top and bottom nodes and no pole is possible. I have found that adding a radial attachment node on the bottom of a part that also attaches to the ground causes the part to explode, so the base unit wouldn't be ground attached if it could be radially attached.

Actually, now that I think about it, the radial attachment point isn't necessary at all. I had the idea in my head of attaching legs or wheels directly to the base but given the scale of the node, that makes no sense. Just a simple multi-pipe attachment system with top and bottom nodes would be very handy - basically the existing gaslight base with the light pole removed.

LOL! :) Thanks for the testing. That last part gave me chuckles. :) Anyway, I will double-check to make sure that I have a collider set on the Outback. If not, that might explain why it falls through the ground.

Oh, it does sit there if you set it down. But if you change focused vessels, THAT's when it vanishes. For example, I switched from Kathrice to the rover at the base of the stairwell to check on something in its inventory, and when I switched back, it was gone.

Aha, so it's dependent on another mod. Thanks for the clarification. I was putting actual rocket parts into the inflation module's KIS inventory, wondering what the heck I'm supposed to do (don't worry, I was just testing it on the runway. I didn't go to the Mun and get surprised by the RocketParts message or anything).

Another solution is a small MM patch for either the Squad ISRU or if you use Angel's DSEV for the Compact ISRU unit from that mod. If you combine them both into the same patch it will add the ability to create Rocket Parts to both. The advantage to this solution is not having to install another mod since Rocket Parts are already part of CRP. The ratios are direct conversions from EPL so the resource usage and rates remain the same as if that mod were installed.

Here's the MM code I use...

@PART[CompactISRU]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleResourceConverter

ConverterName = RocketParts

StartActionName = Start ISRU [Rocket Parts]

StopActionName = Stop ISRU [Rocket Parts]

AutoShutdown = false

GeneratesHeat = false

UseSpecialistBonus = true

SpecialistEfficiencyFactor = 0.2

SpecialistBonusBase = 0.05

Specialty = Engineer

EfficiencyBonus = 1

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = Ore

Ratio = 0.5

}

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = ElectricCharge

Ratio = 30

}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = RocketParts

Ratio = 1

DumpExcess = false

}

}

}

@PART[iSRU]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleResourceConverter

ConverterName = RocketParts

StartActionName = Start ISRU [Rocket Parts]

StopActionName = Stop ISRU [Rocket Parts]

AutoShutdown = false

GeneratesHeat = false

UseSpecialistBonus = true

SpecialistEfficiencyFactor = 0.2

SpecialistBonusBase = 0.05

Specialty = Engineer

EfficiencyBonus = 1

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = Ore

Ratio = 0.5

}

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = ElectricCharge

Ratio = 30

}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = RocketParts

Ratio = 1

DumpExcess = false

}

}

}

Edited by rasta013

I take that back, I am sorting through an issue with the Saddle that once again cannot be attached to the ground..

Below is the corrected module list for the Saddle. Just take all the MODULE nodes in Saddle.cfg and replace them with the ones below. I'll have this fixed in the next update.

MODULE

{

name = ModuleKISItem

volumeOverride = 100

stackable = true

allowPartAttach = 2

allowStaticAttach = 1

staticAttachBreakForce = 10

}

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleStrut

nodeTransform = plugPort1

type = PipeSize1

maxLenght = 50

maxAngle = 100

breakForce = 600

allowDock = true

allowPumpFuel = true

hasCollider = false

tubeScale = 0.15

jointScale = 0.15

textureTiling = 1

tubeSrcType = Joined

tubeTgtType = Joined

evaStrutPos = (0.05, 0.059, -0.21)

evaStrutRot = (190.0, 0.0, 0.0)

tubeTexPath = KAS/Textures/pipe

}

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleStrut

nodeTransform = plugPort2

type = PipeSize1

maxLenght = 50

maxAngle = 100

breakForce = 600

allowDock = true

allowPumpFuel = true

hasCollider = false

tubeScale = 0.15

jointScale = 0.15

textureTiling = 1

tubeSrcType = Joined

tubeTgtType = Joined

evaStrutPos = (0.05, 0.059, -0.21)

evaStrutRot = (190.0, 0.0, 0.0)

tubeTexPath = KAS/Textures/pipe

}

MODULE

{

name = WBIMultiKASPipe

portName = plugPort

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleKISItemEvaTweaker

editorItemsCategory = false

carriable = true

equipMode = part

equipSlot = jetpack

equipMeshName = jetpack_base01

equipBoneName = bn_jetpack01

equipPos = (0,-0.2,-0.45)

equipDir = (0,0,0)

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleKISPartMount

mountedPartNode = bottom

sndStorePath = KIS/Sounds/containerMount

allowRelease = true

MOUNT

{

attachNode = top

allowedPartName= WBI_Ponderosa

allowedPartName= WBI_Buckboard

allowedPartName = KIS_Container1

allowedPartName = rtg

}

}

Edited by Angel-125

Soooo.... I should hold off on launching a ship with the Saddle tucked into the cargo crate?

If you don't mind doing a little text editing with the Saddle.cfg and the contents of the spoiler text, and then delete the Saddle from your cargo crate and re-add it, you'll be ok. Otherwise, you might have to wait a few days while I sort through the latest update.

If you don't mind doing a little text editing with the Saddle.cfg and the contents of the spoiler text, and then delete the Saddle from your cargo crate and re-add it, you'll be ok. Otherwise, you might have to wait a few days while I sort through the latest update.

I can do that. New .cfg parts copied and ready to be transplanted.