Mission Descriptions

lost_in_space

I find the mission descriptions hilarious.

I don't know who writes them, but I've never seen sentences put together like that before.

It seems like the Kerbals are quite familiar with disaster and constantly need the player to come through for them. For example, after a long spiel about "moronic" expectations, "As you can imagine, that's where you come in." LOL

Their algorithm for it, while complicated, isn't the more coherent thing I've seen.
Is it complicated? If they wanted those idiotic results they shouldn't have bothered, I could have crapped out ten lines of concatenation to make it happen.

Is it complicated? If they wanted those idiotic results they shouldn't have bothered, I could have crapped out ten lines of concatenation to make it happen.

I've got to agree that I'd rather have no description than what they've got now. Maybe I've just played too much Dwarf Fortress, but the KSP random description generator seems rather bad. Especially since they usually have nothing to do with the goals of the contracts, and seldom make any logical, or illogical, sense.

I took a look at the cfg that generates the text, and it didn't look all that simple at least. Then again, I've only done a little programming, so maybe it's simpler than it looks.

I'll try to locate it again, but it was somewhere in the KSP folder (duh) with a name along the lines of "storyline" or something like that (and the first few lines were a Spoiler warning... so I figured it HAD to be something good!). I opened it hoping to find something interesting, but after a while realized what I was looking at.

---

Edit: Okay, now that I'm home (I have a long commute - can you tell?) I can say that the file in question is located at \GameData\Squad\Resources\StoryDefs.cfg, and the first two lines are:

// definitions for the storyline generator used in contracts and such.

// WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS

How could you NOT look at it after that? :P

But yeah, it then goes on to explain how it works and such, and I guess it really doesn't look too complicated. But it looks easy to edit, I think.

Edited by Slam_Jones

I do enjoy the humor that is in the mission descriptions very much. But I hate fighting my way though 45 word sentences with 3 subjective clauses to try and understand what it is that is being conveyed. Funny stuff in the end. Written badly enough that I've seriously wondered about who wrote them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.