I had Breakthrough Day!

DarkGravity

It was like a switch was flipped to the "on" position. After 3 weeks of struggling with the unmodded game, everything suddenly seemed to flow like honey yesterday. It was wonderful! In one explosive day of can_do_no_wrong, all of the following suddenly happened:

For the first time, I got something from tier 6 unlocked.

For the first time, I got scientist Bob to circle Kerbin (solo).

For the first time, I not only landed on the Mun, but also made it home safely (talk about a science windfall, wow!).

For the first time, I designed and built a tanker.

For the first time, I got a tanker (with a full 1400 units of fuel, etc.) into orbit.

For the first time, I rescued a Kerbal from orbit. (never docked with anything outside of the tutorial before)

For the first time, I completed four contracts in one flight, where all 4 contracts required being in space. And then (same flight) I docked with my tanker and gave its second empty tank my spare fuel. (never did a fuel transfer before).

What a breakthrough day! I'm 53, and I don't recall feeling this way since I was 12 and was given a unicycle. For 3 weeks, I tried every_single_day to ride it, and never got farther than about 20 feet, so I finally put it away. 3 months later, I tried again, and on my first try went 50 feet, and on my second try I could ride the darned thing. The switch was suddenly flipped. Forty years later, this happens, where my progress in 1 day exceeds all progress from the last 3 weeks combined. The lights are on, baby! What an amazing game!

Edited by DarkGravity

What a breakthrough day! I'm 53, and I don't recall feeling this way since I was 12 and was given a unicycle. For 3 weeks, I tried every_single_day to ride it, and never got farther than about 20 feet, so I finally put it away. 3 months later, I tried again, and on my first try went 50 feet, and on my second try I could ride the darned thing. The switch was suddenly flipped. Forty years later, this happens, where my accomplishments in 1 day exceed all accomplishments from the last 3 weeks combined. The lights are on, baby! What an amazing game!

Congrats! This is just wonderful.

Congratulations! The best part is there is still so much to learn. How to farm that minty minmus for all its low gravity science. Interplanetary transfers that lead to exploring Duna, the diverse Jool system, and the final exam of Moho. Building better exploration craft for the light moons and better rovers for the heavy moons. Launching reusable SSTOs and tugs. Mastering resources and asteroids. Not to mention there and back again to Eve.

I'm 49, been playing since about .24, and still working on landing near a target with a rocket. Of course I never did figure out the unicycle either....

Congrats and more lightbulbs to come.

Congratulations! It's moments like the ones you described, DarkGravity, that make KSP the best. When you have a breakthrough like that, you feel like a space wizard, it's awesome. I've been playing the game for almost a year now, but I've barely scratched the surface (I've barely left Kerbin's SOI, and spaceplanes remain my greatest weakness!), but I know that someday my perseverance will pay off!

Then, there will be no more worlds to conquer.... :( Until I install some mods to add more planets and star systems, of course.:P

You went all the way to tier 5 without going to the Mun, rescuing kerbal or doing 4 contracts in a single flight?

Wow, I admire your patience. I'm usually on a moon (at least in an unmanned one-way mission) by the time I go through tier 3, I'm way too impatient to grind my way to tier 5 on Kerbin alone...

That's most excellent. Those feelings are the thing with this game. I still remember my first successful Mun landing. The feeling lasted even after I realized I had to rescue the Kerbal because there wasn't enough dv to make orbit.

It's always nice to see another 50+ player as well. Pentagenerians rock!

Happy landings!

I turn 41 in a few days, I share the pain and plessures of KSP. My wife is always asking me why I'm doing math while I'm playing a video game. I tell her my space math is beyond her ability and that she should mind her own damn business....

On a side note I have never brought a Kerbel back from a planetary transfer. I have the moons mastered but struggle getting back from duna.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.