[1.2.2] Phoenix Industries Cargo Resupply System (KIS/MechJeb Compatible) v2.2

-ctn-

A CRS parts pack, meant to integrate with KIS and MechJeb. I needed a way to send KIS supplies down to my people from Orbit, and after messing with containers mounted on heat shields and probe cores, finally decided to model the system after real life...

Infographic:

veFz0CO.jpg

• Features:
    • Dragon style capsule with it's own RCS, MonoPropellant Engines, Battery, KIS Storage Space and Mechjeb Module
    • ATV Style Probe Core with RCS, Monopropellant, Battery, KIS, and Mechjeb
    • Cygnus and HTV style KIS containers with RCS, MonoPropellant, and Battery.
    • Unpressurized Extended Trunk - hollow inside for surface-attachable parts.
    • 1x3.5 Solar Panels
    • 1x4 Large Solar Panels
    • Aerodynamic Shroud
    • PICA-X style Heat Shield that doesn't use bulky fairings

[*]Planned Features:

• Compatibility with WindowShine

[*]Known Bugs /Issues:

IMGUR Album - Test Flight / CRS-4

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Kottabos Video Review (for early version - ~1.3)

License:

88x31.png

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Spoiler

v.2.2
-Switched all textures to .DDS
-Added NoseCone for Phoenix capsule.
-Fixed ATV solar panels (so they now work as intended)
-Tweaked Cygnus model so flag decal is transparent if not in use.

v2.1

Added config lines for antenna and probe control features in KSP 1.2
Fixed missing faces on Cygnus part

v.2.0 

Save-Breaking update. Make a back-up and ensure to un-dock any previous CRS craft from your stations/ships.

-Tweaked stats on existing parts
-Added Cygnus and HTV style KIS containers. Each has batteries, monopropellant, and RCS thrusters.
-Added ATV style probe core with it's own batteries, monopropellant, and RCS thrusters.
-Added adapter for Phoenix trunk to 2.5m rocket parts.
-Added solar panels for ATV style probe, and HTV has it's own integrated solar panels.

-Removed 1.25m version of Dragon-style parts.

v.1.5.2 Changelog

Tested against 1.0.5
Uploaded to SpaceDock

v.1.5.1 Changelog

Various texture tweaks

Tested against 1.0.4

v1.5.0 Changelog:

Various tinkering with stats

Added Shroud part to Aero tab - which decouple!

Fixed Unpressurized trunk from not decoupling

Rebalanced number of KIS slots

v.1.4.2 Changelog:

Various texture tweaks

Fixed .cfg error that caused clipping/resizing

Engine ISP/thrust rebalance to more "real world" accurate numbers

v.1.4.1 Changelog:

Re-tooled texture on Solar Panels (backsides)

Increased the number of "slots" with Kerbal Inventory System

v1.4 Changelog:

Added CFG files so both sizes are available in-game at the same time

Added extra Trunk part that is hollow inside for surface-attachable parts

Added README.txt in zip file

Further tinkering with shrouded solar panels

Rebalanced KIS storage space to reflect actual dimensions of parts

v1.3.1 Changelog:

Fixed rescaleFactor issue in 2.5m Trunk cfg

v1.3 Changelog:

Changed Trunk decoupler to only decouple what is attached to the top

Added shrouded solar panels

v1.2 Changelog:

Added optional 2.5m version with changed specification values

Changed trunk separator ejection force from 250 to 50 on both versions

Download:

SpaceDock

Recommended mods for full capabilities:

Kerbal Inventory System

MechJeb

Thanks everyone! Hopefully you enjoy it!

Big thanks to Tiberion for taking a look at the pack and helping me out with the configs for the Engines!

Edited by -ctn-

Awesome. :) Will you be making a Phoenix 2 (crew capsule)?

Probably not, but we'll see.

EDIT: Released v1.2 with minor changes and 2.5m version.

Edited by -ctn-

Very nice :) is there away to get the FX to show on all 4 engine spots ?

The engine FX shows up exactly where it's supposed to - there are 16 RCS ports and 2 engine ports on either side. This is based on the Dragon, which uses 18 draco thrusters- 16 for attitude and control and 2 for deorbiting. However on my mod, the engines push the craft UP for ease of use, instead of the Dragon which pushes the craft DOWN for deorbiting without flipping the craft around (thus saving hydrazine fuel).

- - - Updated - - -

Great mod, thanks! Can't find on CKAN though?

To be honest, I've never heard of CKAN until today and I'm not sure how to integrate it with CKAN.

The engine FX shows up exactly where it's supposed to - there are 16 RCS ports and 2 engine ports on either side. This is based on the Dragon, which uses 18 draco thrusters- 16 for attitude and control and 2 for deorbiting. However on my mod, the engines push the craft UP for ease of use, instead of the Dragon which pushes the craft DOWN for deorbiting without flipping the craft around (thus saving hydrazine fuel).

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest, I've never heard of CKAN until today and I'm not sure how to integrate it with CKAN.

Forgot they made some changes 140521-dragonfly_5652ffad0a6451b09f1497eaf93a1401.jpg

There was a couple of them Laz made one of the older one that had the four thrusters on the outside and even his newer dragon 1 has four thrusters.

EDIT- This sight says there is 18 thrusters on four points http://www.spacex.com/news/2013/04/04/draco-thrusters and first link http://www.spacex.com/dragon

EDIT- This was the Dragon Rider main2_DragonRider_002.jpg

EDIT- More of dragon 1 art dragonrider.jpg

Edited by Mecripp2

Right, this is based on the real world Dragon v1.

As I said, the real world Dragon has eighteen hydrazine thrusters, with two of them pointing upwards for extra thrust when deorbiting. The other sixteen are facing at the different axes for attitude control.

To make the Dragon accurately in KSP, each thruster would have to be assigned to RCS with a thrust of .4, which would make deorbiting a hassle. They need to be RCS because that's what they are, they are hydrazine (monopropellant) thrusters. In the game, I kept the two "extra" nozzles as engines for ease of use and control, upped their thrust to 25kN each (SuperDraco thrust in KSP scale) and made them point downwards instead of upwards, like the real world counterpart.

The picture you showed of the Dragon 1 is the four downward-facing RCS thrusters pushing it from the second stage.

Z5.jpg

Here you can see, one side has the extra upwards pointing thruster and the other side does not. This is the same from the back view, one side has the extra thruster and one does not.

Edited by -ctn-

There was a couple of them Laz made one of the older one that had the four thrusters on the outside and even his newer dragon 1 has four thrusters.

And yes real world Dragon v1 has had many changes from when they thought they was going to crew it and then came up with Dragon v2 The first Dragon 1 had four thrusters like the Dragon 2 so they could land it but hey all good :) got to love the Dragon.

Gah! I couldn't get them to work right just yet. When you select "jettison" they just kind of sit there. So that's on my list of things to do and I'm also going to make the trunk not an "omni" separator and only decouple what's above it.

Edited by -ctn-

Updated to version 3 -

Trunk now only decouples what is attached on top of it and added shrouded solar panels (but the shrouds seem to be kind of buggy to me...).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.