[1.2.2] Phoenix Industries Cargo Resupply System (KIS/MechJeb Compatible) v2.2

-ctn-

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2016 at 11:28 AM, FiiZzioN said:

I don't know if this is a bug on my end, or if the ATV's solar panels are buggy. Whenever I use them, they angle themselves edge-first towards the sun, just like a radiator would. Pics in the album so you can see what I'm talking about. 

Album link is here!

Any idea when the ATV's panels will be fixed?

Hey everyone, sorry for the absence. I've been really busy with my podcast, school, a new short film, and finding composing work.

I plan to update this very soon. The update will just include some config tweaks and hopefully I'll finally fix the blasted solar panels. Have I mentioned that I hate making solar panels?! I may also do that nosecone that I've been getting a lot of requests for.

In the meantime, I've tested against 1.2.2 and everything works (besides ATV panels).

19 minutes ago, -ctn- said:

Hey everyone, sorry for the absence. I've been really busy with my podcast, school, a new short film, and finding composing work.

I plan to update this very soon. The update will just include some config tweaks and hopefully I'll finally fix the blasted solar panels. Have I mentioned that I hate making solar panels?! I may also do that nosecone that I've been getting a lot of requests for.

In the meantime, I've tested against 1.2.2 and everything works (besides ATV panels).

If you'd like, I can test the mods in upcoming versions of the game.

31 minutes ago, Jivaii said:

YAY! Any chance that I could find out if my idea in my earlier post about the fuel thing. I wonder if Configurable Containers would be capable of something like that.

What did you mean as a CRS-4?

If you want to transfer fuel to a station, I would just attach a fuel tank to the CRS capsule instead of the cargo trunk. 

Or did you mean using the trunk model but having it contain multiple switchable resources?

Ah I see. The current method would be to use KIS to store fuel tanks in the ATV, then EVA when its docked and remove the tanks, attach to your station and transfer, but that's a bit tedious. Maybe I'll look into it. 

6 hours ago, -ctn- said:

Ah I see. The current method would be to use KIS to store fuel tanks in the ATV, then EVA when its docked and remove the tanks, attach to your station and transfer, but that's a bit tedious. Maybe I'll look into it. 

I asked in the Configurable Containers thread, it isn't possible atm. I might just MM patch another CRS vessel for transport of fuels and such. Ripping out the KIS space and figuring out how to MM patch for Configurable Containers (though that would probably be good to package on your side as a little bonus gift for people?)

New version is on SpaceDock!

Changelog:
-Switched all textures to .DDS
-Added NoseCone for Phoenix capsule.
-Fixed ATV solar panels (so they now work as intended)
-Tweaked Cygnus model so flag decal is transparent if not in use.

• 2 weeks later...

Those changes are pretty easy to do with a MM patch (although I'm not using those specific parts yet in my current career).  You can create the .cfg file anywhere under the GameData/ folder.  I suggest creating a sub-folder under GameData/ to hold your personal MM patches.

You'll need something that looks like:

+PART[Mark1-2Pod]
{
    @name = SYB_Squad_Mark1-2Pod

@entryCost += 4500 // I typically do 3000 + 1500 per extra
    @cost += 980 // 440 (2x Z1k) + 270 (1x Stratus V)
    @mass += 0.35 // 0.05t (1x Z1k) + 0.15 (1x Stratus V)

%RESOURCE[MonoPropellant]
	{
		// Add (1) Stratus V
		@amount += 150
		@maxAmount += 150
	}

!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
}

The first line is the part name that you want to clone (taken from its .cfg file definition).

Third line gives it a new name (which must be unique).

Then I adjust the entryCost (purchase cost in R&D), the part cost and part mass.

The "%RESOURCE[]{}" block adds or edits monoprop to the part.

The "!tag[]{}" line can be used to remove the part.  Although I have not used that yet in my games, it can be used to remove any node (such as a "MODULE[name]{}").

For debugging, you should search the contents of KSP.log for the new part name, and also look in the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file for the new part name.

On 06/02/2017 at 6:38 AM, WuphonsReach said:

Those changes are pretty easy to do with a MM patch (although I'm not using those specific parts yet in my current career).  You can create the .cfg file anywhere under the GameData/ folder.  I suggest creating a sub-folder under GameData/ to hold your personal MM patches.

You'll need something that looks like:

+PART[Mark1-2Pod]
{
    @name = SYB_Squad_Mark1-2Pod

@entryCost += 4500 // I typically do 3000 + 1500 per extra
    @cost += 980 // 440 (2x Z1k) + 270 (1x Stratus V)
    @mass += 0.35 // 0.05t (1x Z1k) + 0.15 (1x Stratus V)

%RESOURCE[MonoPropellant]
	{
		// Add (1) Stratus V
		@amount += 150
		@maxAmount += 150
	}

!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
}

The first line is the part name that you want to clone (taken from its .cfg file definition).

Third line gives it a new name (which must be unique).

Then I adjust the entryCost (purchase cost in R&D), the part cost and part mass.

The "%RESOURCE[]{}" block adds or edits monoprop to the part.

The "!tag[]{}" line can be used to remove the part.  Although I have not used that yet in my games, it can be used to remove any node (such as a "MODULE[name]{}").

For debugging, you should search the contents of KSP.log for the new part name, and also look in the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file for the new part name.

Could you be more specific on how to add appropriate amounts of TAC resources? I don't have very much experience with CFGs at all, the furthest I have gone is dicking around with engine thrust and fuel capacities, so if you could supply something I could just copy-paste into the config, that would be great. I also think that the owner needs to add built in TACLSS support, or some other widely used life support mod, like Snacks or USI Life Support.

On 2/7/2017 at 8:55 AM, redmonddkgamer said:

Could you be more specific on how to add appropriate amounts of TAC resources? I don't have very much experience with CFGs at all, the furthest I have gone is dicking around with engine thrust and fuel capacities, so if you could supply something I could just copy-paste into the config, that would be great. I also think that the owner needs to add built in TACLSS support, or some other widely used life support mod, like Snacks or USI Life Support.

I'll see what I can do this week, first I need to figure out which parts are here, what their capacity is, and a few other things.

Looking through the part .cfg files, I only see (4) things:

1. ATV - KIS storage, 30,000 units
  2. Cygnus - KIS storage, 1500 units
  3. HTV - KIS storage, 15,000 units
  4. PI-CRS-1 Phoenix Capsule - KIS, 3600 units

I need to look at them in-game to see if those amounts make sense or if I should adjust them before doing USI-LS versions.

Edited by WuphonsReach

On 1/3/2017 at 11:59 AM, Jivaii said:

Other then that, what are the odds of possibly getting a CRS-4 capable of hauling tanks? I'd like to utilize it as an emergency fuel drop sometimes. Or as a good solid way to move fertilizer up to my stations for USI-LS. Like how the current CRS missions take food and water up to the station.

First draft version of a Firespitter-driven cargo-switching ATV (CRS-4) module.

https://github.com/WuphonsReach/KSP-ScrapyardBob/blob/master/CTN-PhoenixIndustries/CRS/ctn_atv.cfg

You can put that .cfg file anywhere under your GameData/ directory and it will add two versions of the PI-CRS-4 to the game if you have Firespitter and CommunityResourcePack installed (both are packaged with USI's FTT release).  The two new versions are a liquids tank and a solids tank (and removes the KIS inventory from those variants).

Note:  Firespitter hides the built-in monoprop tanks and EC batteries in the VAB.  However, those hidden resources still exist and will show up once you roll out to the launch pad.

I don't have TAC-LS installed, but I could do something similar there (probably a 3rd version).

Edited by WuphonsReach

So, with Firespitter and the fuel switching -- it will hide any existing resources (in this case, EC and monoprop) when you first build the rocket in the VAB.  However, those resources are still in the part and will show up after you save the rocket, exit the VAB, re-enter the VAB and load your rocket back from its save file.

Just one small oddity that I'm not sure if it's worth addressing (or using a different fuel-switcher, but Firespitter is what is packaged with the USI/MKS stuff).

3 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

First draft version of a Firespitter-driven cargo-switching ATV (CRS-4) module.

https://github.com/WuphonsReach/KSP-ScrapyardBob/blob/master/CTN-PhoenixIndustries/CRS/ctn_atv.cfg

You can put that .cfg file anywhere under your GameData/ directory and it will add two versions of the PI-CRS-4 to the game if you have Firespitter and CommunityResourcePack installed (both are packaged with USI's FTT release).  The two new versions are a liquids tank and a solids tank (and removes the KIS inventory from those variants).

Note:  Firespitter hides the built-in monoprop tanks and EC batteries in the VAB.  However, those hidden resources still exist and will show up once you roll out to the launch pad.

I don't have TAC-LS installed, but I could do something similar there (probably a 3rd version).

Awesome!

1 hour ago, WuphonsReach said:

So, with Firespitter and the fuel switching -- it will hide any existing resources (in this case, EC and monoprop) when you first build the rocket in the VAB.  However, those resources are still in the part and will show up after you save the rocket, exit the VAB, re-enter the VAB and load your rocket back from its save file.

Just one small oddity that I'm not sure if it's worth addressing (or using a different fuel-switcher, but Firespitter is what is packaged with the USI/MKS stuff).

Alot of mods use Interstellar Fuel Switch, and configurable Containers is an upcoming mod, and likely to get used in USI at some point as @allista's ground construction mod is now being used by USI.

Yeah, I'll need to make alternate configs with IFS or B9 or something else.

Here is a lander that ferries USI-LS Supplies up from the surface of the Mun or Minmus and takes USI-LS Mulch back down for processing.  This design has a MKS Logistics module on it, so it can be crewed by a Pilot or Quartermaster and can pull from MKS Planetary Logistics (and push, but that just requires an uncrewed Logistics module).

y8XUVhx.png

Edited by WuphonsReach

I do feel like the base CRS-4 with only 40 EC is a bit limited and I always have to strap on extra batteries.  Given the 8t mass, I recommend increasing the EC capacity into the 500-2000 range.

(In contrast, the 500 units of Monoprop is very good.  I've not needed to strap on extra MP tanks.)

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.