orbital scanner use

I have the m-700 orbital scanner as well as the surface scanner into orbits. How do i go about finding the elevations of various points using these. i figured out how to use the surface scanner I believe, but what is the use of the orbital scanner. the only thing i can get out of it is the different biomes of kerbin(grassland, desert, etc.) is there a zoom mode?

Edited by fistfullofnails

How do i go about finding the elevations of various points using these.

Unfortunately, you can't in stock KSP.

the only thing i can get out of [the orbital scanner] is the different biomes of kerbin(grassland, desert, etc.)

That's all that you can get out of the orbital scanner. And actually, you're not getting the biomes from the orbital scanner. You are getting resource concentrations. Which leads me to believe that you're actually asking about the narrow band scanner, which provides a small GUI popup with a map overlay and does display biome names. In which case, you can use the narrow band scanner pretty much anywhere from landed up to orbit to get a bit of a zoomed in map. It also provides better accuracy for the resource concentration of any scanned areas.

is there a zoom mode?

No, just the zoom that you can do with the normal controls (zooming into the planet in map mode), assuming you're talking about the orbital scanner. If you mean the narrow band scanner, there is no zoom feature.

Cheers,

~Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.