How good is KSP?  

316 members have voted

1. 1. How good is KSP?

• The best game ever made, tops anything else
    • Not the best ever, but somewhere in the top 10
    • Definitely a top 20 sorta thing
    • Somewhere in the top 50
    • Quite good, but not outstanding

KSP is almost the only game I play and it forced me to buy a new computer to play it, and another computer after that one burned out. I've probably played KSP more than every other game I've ever played combined with probably close to 10000h in it. Been everywhere done (almost) everything and still not bored with things still on my to do list. 

I think I got my moneys worth...

20 minutes ago, Death Engineering said:

KSP is almost the only game I play and it forced me to buy a new computer to play it, and another computer after that one burned out. I've probably played KSP more than every other game I've ever played combined with probably close to 10000h in it. Been everywhere done (almost) everything and still not bored with things still on my to do list. 

I think I got my moneys worth...

I played 1974 Hours on Steam! Before buying it, i played i think 300 from a pirated version.... KSP Is the best space simulator ever developed, but, IMHO, is the mods that make it the best! !

33 minutes ago, Freds said:

KSP Is the best space simulator ever developed, but, IMHO, is the mods that make it the best!

Tru dat.. even if just visual mods. Admittedly, I cringe every time a new version comes out and I launch it "virgin" without even EVE running.

TBH, even with my love of the game, I only gave it a '4' because of the reliance on mods to make it complete.

I terms of doing something novel, and polished, and fun, KSP is definitely top 10. Requiring making something new is something that, necessarily limits candidates,( ie Odessy is way more fun than 64, but 64 is OG, so makes the cut instead of all others). So far as I can tell there is nothing that even comes close to the scale that Kerbal encompasses (even wow railroads you for content). And Kerbal doesn't even have Newtonian Physics. Also Kerbal is pretty kinda the only game that is *Hard without being a platformer, or chess(Starcraft is bullet chess mixed with dexterity challenges). They kinda stopped trying to implement a competitive AI in the newest CIV, I don't even know how you would implement a decision tree for the new quest based tech trees(plural? like why two different tech trees) other than just hard coding the tree for each different Nation.

My Top 10 in Alphabetical Order:

AI Wars

Civ 2

Donkey Kong Country 2

Doom 

Echo 

Kerbal

Mario 64

Myst

Starcraft BroodWar

World of Warcraft 

7 hours ago, Aquaticfantastic said:

Best game? - difficult to define, its just not comparable to most types of game, for example 'God of war or KSP?' I couldn't even compare! Although I'd say KSP I bet most 'gamers' would say God of war. (I'm not bashing God of war by the way, just an example of vast differences) Some like fast-paced action, others immersive storytelling, KSP I would bundle with RTS and simulation games but the sheer variety in this category alone makes comparison difficult.

@SiriusRocketry your top 5 is a good example, clearly a fan of driving/racing games yet you have picked KSP for the no5 spot but if I where to ask you why you think gran turismo 4 is better than KSP it would come down to personal preference. I'd be curious how to know many other driving games KSP beat to your no 5 spot.

Yeah- it seems the sheer difference between genres is what causes a gulf between reviews. With most of my top 5, nostalgia, fun and the size of the game factor in. Example: Wipeout 2097 is rather light on content compared to the rest of the Top 5, yet it was probably the first game I ever played (and completed) plus it was sheer fun that still stands more than 20 years after release. GT4 on the other hand taught me about cars, my main love (although rockets come close). GT4 wasn't just a game- it was a lifestyle, with endless content to play through, amazing music and fast cars ;)

KSP beat several games to the Top 5: Project CARS, Halo 3, Forza Motorsport 4 , Five Nights at Freddy's and COD Black Ops among others. KSP represents my shift to PC gaming in general: such a great and expansive game with a fabulous community is the quintessence of PC games. For all the hours watching Scott Manley, to the forums registration, to the very first steps on the Mun.

Here's to video games- never a waste of time!

Top ten for sure.

KSP could be a good springboard into deeper and more serious space sims, but at the moment it's the only game of its kind worth playing (IMHO). So it's a cool little game about shooting rockets into space, and it's taught me everything I know about orbital mechanics. But shooting rockets into space is just about it.

It's a shame, really, because 1.2 introduced more depth to the game with the communications networks, and I thought more elements would be added like near future propulsion, base building, resource utilization for construction on other planets or in orbit, and more interesting planets, but since then updates have been about localization, reskins, and an expansion I've touched exactly once since I bought it.

On 5/25/2015 at 12:28 PM, Arran said:

Depends, i play computergames since 1974 when i got a phongbox and got addicted to gaming, and in time i seen a great share of good and bad games, some games like BaldursGate, LeisureSuit Larry in the land of Lounge Lizzards, Hero's Quest, Police and Kings Quest, Planescape Torment, Wingcommander, Xwing vs Tiefighter, even MS-Flightsimulator are games i never will forget, KSP is also one of those games that made it in my personal list of Best of All time games.

What is my most favorite game... TBH i dont know, to many of those, but that KSP is high in my list thats for certain.

Still when i compare KSP to many games released nowerdays, it stick out with head and shoulders above the rest.

Finnaly a good game that emphasis on gameplay, instead brute graphical force and shallow gameplay, very refreshing to play.

Games like GTAV and such, dispite they are stunning to look at, and fun to play, they tend to bore me after a few weeks, KSP, still going strong with me, even after 3 years of play, still enjoying it

Ah, some of my old favorites. And don't forget Space Quest! :) 

While not the best in any particular category KSP hits a real sweet spot of strategy, problem solving, space craft building and piloting skills that no other game has ever nailed.

I used to build and fly R/C Helis - a MUCH more expensive way to crash aircraft. Prior to that I'd use 3D modeling programs to create spacecraft and animate them in small movies - no physics or real purpose beyond just looking really cool. Even earlier I built static space ships by kitbashing models, and that grew out of building craft with Legos. So this is just the latest phase of a lifelong hobby.

Edited by Tyko

I’ve played ksp more than any game I can think of in the last 50 years. However, just because I’ve done that, doesn’t make it automatically my number one. I’ve not played every game. Also the OP asks “how good” not “what rank” and then based on what? Number of bugs? Hours played? Etc. 

Its a fun thought experiment, so I put it in my top 50. Many of which I probably have long forgot about.

how good? it’s pretty good. Could get better. Not close to perfect. Oh wait, so if it’s not perfect then it must be terrible!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.