The Practical On-Kerbin Sci-Fi Film challenge

Your budget was cut.

you can forget about sending multi-billion dollar craft into space just for a movie!

You must get creative and figure it out on Kerbin.

-Producers

The Challenge:

You must create a fully fledged film in KSP. Sounds easy, right? Here's the catch:

It must be a film about landing on another world and it must all be done without leaving Kerbin !!

This challenge is mainly aimed at the Filmmakers out there (myself included. I've wanted to do this for a while)

Anyways, here are the rules:

Rules:

• No use of the "Hack Gravity Cheat". You don't have the budget for that!
  • You can't use the "infinite fuel cheat".
  • You can only use the mods below. Some will put you in different categories though, so keep that in mind.
  • No Rockets allowed. use planes to transport stuff.
  • Editor effects are allowed (green screen, blue screen, whateverthehellyouwant screen, etc...)
  • Have fun and good luck!
  • you can have rockets on your sets/rigs. just make sure to limit them to 10% MAXIMUM or your death by angry producers is certain. Fuel is expensive!
  • Ion engines are allowed to burn at 100% thrust. They can't move anything within the atmosphere... or so they claim (and they can blow up white-houses as an intergalactic greeting apparently)

Mods allowed:

• Hyperedit (if you want to. you'll be put into the Hyperedit category if you do and make sure to mention that when submitting your film/entry)
  • PartPacks in general (no cheaty ones that alter physics 'n' stuff though)
  • BDArmoury and other weapon mods
  • rover parts packs in general (Kerbal Foundries included. You can't get enough of 'em tracks)
  • Camera mods (Kerbcam and Camera tools , unless you want to build camera booms)
  • And, of course, infernal/Damned robotics for articulation of rigs
  • Texture replacer and Environmental Visual Enhancement packs.#
  • KAS

Categories:

• Hyperedit movies: Films that used Hyperedit to transport rigs around kerbin instead of Planes and rovers.

• Conventional movies: Films that used planes and rovers to transport rigs around Kerbin

Scoring system?

how good the films are, I guess? Oh! I've got it! After your entry/In your post, mention a film you liked! How's that sound? Good? I thought so.

Best of luck to all of you! I look forward to seeing what the film community is capable of.

Entry Requirements:

• behind the scenes pics
  • list of mods used
  • the film

Entrys:

Soda Popinski's Entry:

"Amazon Women from the Mun"

This is a perfect example! I loved it! So much effort went into the sets. I adored the theme based on an old space horror and the overall plot. Great job!

Example of what's required:

Concerning the VFX rules:

I was asked by Highlad:

To what extent are we allowed to use our 'editors' and VFX programs? Because if its an open ended rule, I might go full VFX guru and greenscreen the absolute ship out out some footage. ;)

You're allowed to use VFX to a huge extent. YOu can go ahead and hire a crew of stuntmen for a shot of your film (not sure why you'd want to do that :P ) BUT!!! You have to film all the backround shots for a greenscreen/bluescreen/whateverthehellyouwant screen on Kerbin/from high up in its atmosphere. You can't leave the atmosphere. You can only go as high as your best atmospheric plane can (without going suborbital, you sly b*****rds XD ).

For example, if you want a space scene;

A) go to the mountains

B) Look to the night sky

C)Start Filming

D) film the desired rig in front of a greenscreen

E) Place the clip of the rig in front of a green screen onto the"night Sky" clip

F) Space Clip without leaving the atmosphere!

BEST OF LUCK!

Edited by One-Way Films
Rules

To what extent are we allowed to use our 'editors' and VFX programs? Because if its an open ended rule, I might go full VFX guru and greenscreen the absolute ship out out some footage. ;)

Can i use KAS(Kerbal Attachment System) And a custom object (it's like a green screen)?

Yes you can. I'll add that to allowed mods as it's its own type of mod

- - - Updated - - -

You are allowed to greenscreen the holy pirate ship out of the film. If you really want, you could go full on VFX Guru, just as long as you stay on the ground while doing so. When I'm doing this challenge I plan to go to the Kerbal mountains and film some shots of the sky before green screening my ship onto said shots. I'll overhaul the rules later on as they're really open ended and all in all unclear

Subscribed. Can't do any VFX for peanuts (might try a low-budget, ~50km radius around KSC film), but I'm looking forward to seeing other entries.

Best of luck, everyone!

If I do enter, I'll edit it in here.

Are you allowed to do the good old trick of sticking a rope onto a ship, to make a classical Sci Fi spaceship/UFO, and to use a video editor to disappearify the rope?

Yes you can. Do anything but hacking gravity or leaving the atmosphere in any way. No rockets as well.

Yes you can. Do anything but hacking gravity or leaving the atmosphere in any way. No rockets as well.

Can we use rocket engines for non-propulsive purposes? If I'm going to do this, I'll need them for the special effects. At least seperatrons.

That's not much of a special effect. I need fire and smoke. I was planning on tweaking thrust to 5% or so, so it's basically a road flare.

Also, for anybody using ShadowPlay, and find you can't record KSP, here's the fix: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114935

Sorry for the late reply. That's a much better idea than mine. Why have rockets without effects? I'll edit the rules once again!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my entry. I've included behind the scenes stuff after the film.

Edit: Crap, I just realized "landing on another world" probably doesn't count as the landing is on Kerbin. Though, from the perspective of the Amazon Women from the Mun, Kerbin would be another world.

Film that I liked? In this vein, I'll go with "Plan 9 from Outer Space."

Edited by Soda Popinski

Here's my entry. I've included behind the scenes stuff after the film.

http://youtu.be/urzpg2yUexY

Edit: Crap, I just realized "landing on another world" probably doesn't count as the landing is on Kerbin. Though, from the perspective of the Amazon Women from the Mun, Kerbin would be another world.

Film that I liked? In this vein, I'll go with "Plan 9 from Outer Space."

That's fine. The white house being destroyed made up for that. xD

That's fine. The white house being destroyed made up for that. xD

The White House demolition was the toughest part in it. At first I tried separatrons to overheat small fuel canisters until they exploded. It didn't work out too well. I finally decided on decouplers to drop them onto the ground where they'd explode, synchronized with hydraulic separators to split apart the panels making up the facade. I found KSP couldn't handle more than 4 separation events at a time (in series), so I had to do it in sequence.

A general question about rules: Does the limit on thrust apply to ion engines too? They're practically ineffectual for thrust, but work great for various effects.

Also, what about HotRockets/CoolRockets, Engine Lighting, Scatterer, or other visual mods like that? I have an idea for a scene that involves one or more of these. (I won't say what because SPOILERS.)

Are there any mods or techniques people know to make them talk / move their mouths? I can't really give them peanut butter like they did with Mister Ed.

Now I want to make Kerbals eat peanut butter.

More seriously: You can barely make them change expression as is. I'd love to be able to articulate them within KSP itself. But I suspect you have to do it in Blender, and I don't think anyone outside Squad has the models to do that currently.

Edited by LitaAlto

More seriously: You can barely make them change expression as is. I'd love to be able to articulate them within KSP itself. But I suspect you have to do it in Blender, and I don't think anyone outside Squad has the models to do that currently.

If I were to do this again (or something similar), I might go with placing either an animated black oval mask over their mouths as a crude form of animation, or even more crudely, place black ovals of different shapes and sizes layered over their mouths (a la South Park).

I may be a bit biased, but I think my "Amazon Women from the Mun" and other films we see on this thread should be considered for Video Wednesdays. Anyway to make a submission?

A general question about rules: Does the limit on thrust apply to ion engines too? They're practically ineffectual for thrust, but work great for various effects.

Also, what about HotRockets/CoolRockets, Engine Lighting, Scatterer, or other visual mods like that? I have an idea for a scene that involves one or more of these. (I won't say what because SPOILERS.)

Ion engines are allowed. One sec. I'll alter the rules again.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.