My Simpit Project

Krewmember

How are you ever going to survive reentry if your capsule is made of wood? :P

I like that throttle.

Use cheats? :P

Thank you, I should have a update on it some time tonight. If I'm able to get a potentiometer on it.

This reminds me of the Tilt-a-Whirl spacecraft a la "The Explorers" :D

I can't say I have ever seen that movie it was a little before my time :blush:

Any way I finally have a update. I got the throttle mounted to the center console and tested it with KSPSerialIO, and it worked great! I got a rush when I throttled it up in game for the first time :)

x7DsuzVgk1w_jy2JxGopYCM6kpRJEfmZIHElUR_WZqM=w735-h551-no

Here is one of me holding the throttle so you can see the scale.

I67Tb130fEAdpzZH7j6tbQ7nBFmDyN3Uu9bY9ga4EBg=w735-h551-no

Very cool stuff, is this an interior of a current command pod or are u modding one yourself?

I would love to see a lunar module, maybe in the distance future :D

Thank you. And no I'm designing it I'm just trying to keep it kerbal style.

A lunar module would be cool but kind of one purpose.

• 2 weeks later...
How are you ever going to survive reentry if your capsule is made of wood?

[insert scott Manley quote about the soviets experimenting with cork as a heat shield material in the 1950-60s]

On topic: I love this! It's like an actual flight sim, do you know any hydraulics engineers that would be willing to build a system that tilts the simpit when you turn the joystick? Like an actual NASA sim.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not keeping you all updated. I have made some progress but I'm down with the flu at the moment ;.; so I have not had the time or energy to get any work done.

This looks like a great build with pretty much everything bespoke. Great work!

Thank you.

I love this throttle. I'm gonna have to develop some woodworking skills to make something similar. Have some rep, good sir.

Thank you. woodworking is great skillset to learn, my father is a woodworker so I learned what I know from him, but the internet is also a great place to learn. If I need to learn a new tool or techniques I just watch some videos and then practice until I'm comfortable. Also books on woodworking and carpentry can come in handy as well.

This is amazing! Surprised I didn't see this earlier.

(I blame Mulbin for lack of update on the SimPit Repo thread :P )

[insert scott Manley quote about the soviets experimenting with cork as a heat shield material in the 1950-60s]

On topic: I love this! It's like an actual flight sim, do you know any hydraulics engineers that would be willing to build a system that tilts the simpit when you turn the joystick? Like an actual NASA sim.

I was thinking the exact same thing :D -- back when I was contemplating whether I could do such a thing :P

It would be epic. But you'd have to do a full 360 gimbal thing... plus, it'd be cool if you could actually raise / lower the simpit so that you could get some feeling of taking off / being pulled back on the ground..

[yes, this is all very complicated and over-the-top, but why stop at just hydraulic pistons? :cool: ]

Finally i got to work on the simpit. I added this to the center console it will have the warning light panel and the SAS/RCS stuff.

0O2uXp_9PWb8g0WyigfhZgzrCPM2CGAQpVA9dvJBVGA=w551-h735-no

And i installed the rails for the overhead console.

mev2njR4XaAIqwL6VNUxTSd1PUHs9ik3mKr87RJB8uc=w735-h551-no

I'm still looking for ways to finish the interior, I was thinking about using moving blankets to cover the floor and walls. But I'm undecided, do you guys have any ideas how I should finish the interior?

I'm still looking for ways to finish the interior, I was thinking about using moving blankets to cover the floor and walls. But I'm undecided, do you guys have any ideas how I should finish the interior?

Looking great! :D

What's your budget? And what's your ultimate purpose?

Would you want to be running 'simulator' type situations (crew separate from some kind of 'mission control'?)

If so, you'd possibly want to sound-proof it a bit. Blankets could work, but I'd get some acoustic-style foam (style, not the actual stuff, cos that's super expensive) -- either the egg carton style or the straight 'cuboid' style -- and sandwich it between the external wall and some ply / mdf on the internal.

The moving blanket idea was not for soundproofing, but instead was for the purpose of finishing the lower interior walls and floor not to mention my garage is unheated :rolleyes: so blanket on the lower half of the pit would make it plush and keep my feet warm in the winter :P. But moving blankets do block sound to some degree.

{Edit}

And the blue color of moving blankets and the zigzag stitching is kind of space looking :P

Edited by Krewmember

Considering the garage is unheated, a tiny little heater might not be a bad option. Doesn't need to be very many watts. You could even wire a mains voltage switch into your control panel to activate/deactivate it. You could have some ventilation fans as well, also commanded by switches on your panels. I'm actually planning on integrating the sliders for my display case lighting in my apartment into my command module control panel, which will be built into my desk. I mean... Why stop at controlling Kerbal Space Program alone. Let it run your heat, your lighting, etc!

I'm actually planning on integrating the sliders for my display case lighting in my apartment into my command module control panel, which will be built into my desk. I mean... Why stop at controlling Kerbal Space Program alone. Let it run your heat, your lighting, etc!

I love this; why stop at a controller for a game; bring on home automation! :D

Considering the garage is unheated, a tiny little heater might not be a bad option. Doesn't need to be very many watts. You could even wire a mains voltage switch into your control panel to activate/deactivate it. You could have some ventilation fans as well, also commanded by switches on your panels. I'm actually planning on integrating the sliders for my display case lighting in my apartment into my command module control panel, which will be built into my desk. I mean... Why stop at controlling Kerbal Space Program alone. Let it run your heat, your lighting, etc!

Thank you, that is a great idea. I will be sure to implement it into my project.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.