My Simpit Project

Krewmember

Well.. the beer would have to be root beer :P but I guess a mini fridge and snack drawer could come in handy on long missions :D

Duuuuuuuuudddddddde. This must be a thing. And then, you must find a test subject who has never played KSP, train them on a simulation mode, and then lock them up in the Simpit for as long as it takes to do a mission to the Mun in real time.

• 2 weeks later...
Duuuuuuuuudddddddde. This must be a thing. And then, you must find a test subject who has never played KSP, train them on a simulation mode, and then lock them up in the Simpit for as long as it takes to do a mission to the Mun in real time.

I will see what I can come up with :wink:

Anyway, all four of my monitors arrived today :D so I can finally get the front of the cockpit closed off. I should have some pictures for you guy tonight.

He got monitors installed on the 12th... He started playing, and hasn't been seen since! :sticktongue:

Actually, I got a little discouraged when I found out that I need a new graphics card (or two) to get the 4 to 6 outputs I need ;.; but anyway I did get 3 of the 4 monitor installed here is what the pit looks like so far. Still a lot of work to do.

vudtLZp7gAhlFULnjozUApumgqhbY5eUi-vPFSz_ct8=w735-h551-no

Awww! Don't get discouraged! You've come so far, so far! :wink:

It looks AMAZING!!! I can't tell you enough how sweet that setup looks! :D I so jelly! :cool:

I must ask though, why 6 outputs? Are there external screens, for spectators, or do you plan 3 screens per side of the capsule? Are you trying to run the tiny CRT with the graphics card?

What I have in my Hackintosh, is an ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5770, that I bought used for $50 in 2013. I run 3 screens on my card, though I only play KSP on a single monitor at 2044x1100 (I play in windowed mode on a 2048x1152 pixel monitor, with a tiny window border on all sides, and the room for my menu bar on the top. I've built and launched 1500+ part vessels with even a card as old as that one (I think it dates to around 2010ish?), and it supports three monitor connections out of the box. I run at all high settings, except for the anti-alias, which I turn off, cause I never really was bothered by jaggies, and on that high a resolution monitor, I just don't care. I'll take the boost in turning AA off. I imagine it wouldn't take much of a bump to a higher card, and still stay in budget to get a nice card that can double or triple screen that puppy at 1080p per screen! Remember, KSP is CPU heavy, so even buying a cheaper card ought to get you up and running. Just ask around the forums and see if anyone else is running such a large setup, and what card it takes them to maintain it.

KSP is the type of game that'd get the biggest gains from a CPU that can shut down some cores to over clock one or two cores higher than it could with 4... That's where the real power comes from. My rig is lacking in GPU, but I get by nicely, cause I have a rockin' CPU, a quad 3.5 GHz i7, with room to overclock. I'm about to drop a Noctua NH-D14 cooler on mine, and crank it into the low 4 GHz range.

Awww! Don't get discouraged! You've come so far, so far! :wink:

It looks AMAZING!!! I can't tell you enough how sweet that setup looks! :D I so jelly! :cool:

Thanks man. I can't wait to see what your setup will look like when it is done :)

I must ask though, why 6 outputs? Are there external screens, for spectators, or do you plan 3 screens per side of the capsule? Are you trying to run the tiny CRT with the graphics card?

It is for outputting data to the CRT. I just got a idea :confused: maybe I can use my motherboards onboard video chipset for the CRTs and a graphics card that supports 4 monitors, I will have to try and see it it works.

I have a AMD HD 7850 it only has 3 outputs 1 dvi 1 hdmi and 1 displayport. The displayport can be daisy chained to 2 or 3 monitors. But the monitors have to be daisy chain capable. All my monitors are dvi so I will have to get a gpu with 4 outputs. As for cpu my AMD FX 8320 8-Core should have me covered.

I was only aware of Thunderbolt (which uses the same connector as Mini DisplayPort) supporting daisychains. Looked it up. Cool!

Sadly, those hubs are expensive, about $100... A good used card can cost that, so yeah, it looks like it's upgrade time. The good news, is that if your mobo or CPU has integrated graphics, it should indeed be possible to use it as a 4th. That at least gets you up and running for your main displays. You could also temporarily drive just the three, and sit in the one side, till you get the upgrade done.

Sadly, Kerbal's physics engine isn't multithreaded, so it doesn't split up over multiple cores. You'll only get one of those eight cores working on the brunt of Kerbal's physics processing workload. If your BIOS supports modes where you can disable other cores, and speed up one or two of them, that's where you'll get the most performance gains.

Sadly, Kerbal's physics engine isn't multithreaded, so it doesn't split up over multiple cores. You'll only get one of those eight cores working on the brunt of Kerbal's physics processing workload.

Hopefully the unity 5 update will fix that.

Edited by Krewmember

• 4 weeks later...

-OqB90bftA5ojEhJXeg2Zbf2N-sek9cXGbDPbL5P784=w735-h551-no

j0fBi3gmfTw8ly6LRwZGzAbAp64oQLl7c7116O-eY40=w735-h551-no

Hmmm.... I still have an old 13" B&W portable TV from when I was a kid.... Everytime I go to get rid of it, I change my mind thinking its still got to be good for SOMETHING.... Now I wonder if it would make a good display for a docking cam... LOL

Edited by Stone Blue

I just found a working RCA 3.5 inch diagonal color CRT TV today, with the AC adapter, at a garage sale for $5... I grabbed that in a heartbeat! :sticktongue:

RCATV.jpg

It's nice. CRT looks good, and it has video inputs on the side! Guy said it only got use in an RV while on trips. I will likely remove the CRT from the stock case and panel mount it into my controller. Curiously... The case has a tripod mount on the bottom! How interesting! The tuner is electronic, with an on screen bright green line that scrolls left or right based on the frequency, the VHF numbers are listed above the CRT, and UHF numbers below.

RCATVpicture.jpg

It really is quite a small screen! Laid out in the same plane with the keyboard I'll be using on my own controller, you can see just how little space the CRT occupies. I think I'll mount the CRT by itself, to the forward facing upright panel, and have a small panel on the top covering the adjustments... maybe. I'll likely need to be creative with my board positioning to have access to all adjustments. The screen is basically just under 4 keyboard keys wide and just under 3 tall.

RCATVscreen.jpg

Edited by richfiles

• 1 month later...
Hey Krew... Any progress on your GPU situation, or just in general?

Sorry for the late reply. Life got in the way of me doing any work on the simpit. But I now have the time to start working on it again :)

The GPU situation has still not been resolved. But it is not a priority at the moment. As for the simpit I have stripped it down to just the base. I'm currently in the process of redesigning the entire simpit. The simpit is going to be mk3 / space shuttle-ish. I will be sure to post photos as soon as I have something to show you.

Just found this thread and... WOW! That is so awesome.

I would love to do something like this myself. I am especially digging that little composite monitor.

Thanks, SpaceNavy.

Okay, so over the last couple of days I have been drafting out different ideas in sketchup. I finally came up with a design I like so I started measuring and cutting parts out of 1/2" MDF and put everything together with drywall screws. And well this happened :0.0:

JQcUAfoWcbS2jI8MxJnPsPdHK7IbhTJPxuVX3JzZTwmQ3O1Z7BKhruhdlrJ4OWQjKJ2E5X5yhZqiFLuTXEYy6soyjQU4TVcWfNY07fbf2JB2wHSSia3nxAvgYKSGRrkwM2IrZwsmiUtbdzWtnyUr3OYbvr0zOL5Is2pf7jS_mhLoaeBNOf8yla2j7itze7HMe0Q6he-TjC_WyqkHVKIyOtD7-aOq08QdMetJvaBtDbjuwvRu3ZvFyalCnqpFp_VPB6gBAZmDLcfM8uC6uATrq8LZzubyjihUokEjkHE82f-ktfpX1JN5ilJLL7xfKj-tkVEAS1UIrip-UkYQkSTKFf-cWhcNqOGJqENp0vijaKTwlTE4Ly75XgmDQkOY638wscDj1QbfUNRckkBuesjyGm8xeuTl0KLVb3O4wxtQqGvbiKBQ9CBBA1ph9o7pIUtmH6o1kGDGap2BFS3hvCrAjg62TOn4DBYWrfCm5mKa6mpxEOPlSz0PuM8o6G99rU64O2e5xY_na0tVS6n63rkr2_rrQ0AC7J3Xs87nIxqZ7rs=w1074-h805-no

T-WjC5yZ9pUXvbHbwYrwfIPb9WZFegqEb1SjbfNZYTYU34O5acbqe9r6AaTvcT4fzRDeZLmJ5WqlBB4-05vA4xd65kpb2jXueqh5hhfWl3w2GR_dAhSdl4R7Dm1l4Z1f8CtO70dTLZuA5JocmoZHpmnHP4iALLf3g4UHjSuT-lXTkjyVoEvWpfj8QdDibovE3cHM0ROBQv6U_xNkD9XA1NEJkKEU7U7QhGgnJcafKyjue_Z1rl0NDpPAbwHLgdeMU39Ti0k29947HjkOsMui03zKphtzylHDfB0tBzP-Z29WSkGKUIB3jI4k7QZaCPrQDArPQWn84nw5PC_Sh_yW8G8UARbU9ta1lBtDOMYlpx0R3F9KgmEGVdzehsPDbP1yHkh1BUhgyO0DyU0e_QA7B04MArzGP5XXBeYyG6U0Q4BnL-qfXw6wxZFOPo-DEnOREYhPrjyaeGRC7uDg4M5BJTm24WL_jhTmzT7bkXHcQC59aHILFt10IOmhs_-e54rsODpVMSLGHuqZYJN7YymFB644WaRiH4Mlj1fsyriJHQA=w1074-h805-no

voImQTKkqzqqVD1dn-iNm798mo6S9ofCt-buQ_-bscVnarHeLIOpmP5UjjoWj5V81cL4s9tUTDWXeTlYpgYoWzIy5X9kFkO8zivAy3TTwnLq9X2VDEAmLDIeWqtbPHQ5KUNhrj6I_Nj-grJXx9-jjWBfg1OU4UFsYRXyG2NQOD-ggG6Nt_sVRE5NQBUxBkGeqABnoUniKoTuOCOFZx6Llx0BGUpiCx1xeY-grS__5hliMAlwEmu38U9u1XBJufTNNmgo0kJPyjQ7VMVnScegcvg_5Sr36VcSheQ4smubLOvEUfUeeCu6_Er5kd2cLXoj9ESNTi5iS70lr1nCH-1tjxxW3CGf2omuiqL_vBNzQHRg1lMUMNXchXgZlHov94YuQsLwiSBq1JhCRg8AwdzIGcYH0fy-fsZZ-PLhn5VCYvGh-yQeieT7GLpjKiUzpYHiVmgLj98kVYquxL05plYbKzMpXHlRhESVRk24ZhlCgUvJQ_1U2H6C6gAZb7AfEz67yy7t-r_ku5LlWp0ww2bmmGOkNqxulegkEkNXNPO7afA=w1074-h805-no

7uTZwPgRG13JL-rcOvpVbPJtjDuon_MHI6_whd2ShsDOC0RkIILsqxboh6dYUTAbljwhFMPRNRSmpwj9Wq9o67F5dJbXXhm3q9dexWYDVR3xCMQUvcwQd_o0JwLOCsmgVbiDHiTJoYcBb9FkIoYSqiGHxyKgRi-CeQQos9wiGTWlGg-SQe1y4bHMlblxgj7qLC3w80OqJIYkgeLi3-BuU3h0WKRt0MHigycvdfk9qvs_-Ps-qFyDP5-IIDd3zwilI5-dwGFtbtYCl2GtPxF8DJY2WmSf_tHur3nnOLt5Eg9qnkgKiBX6NIzA5kRXfEnNBPu5oD6yjgyzfZ9xT-tkQzNzscxtlxLGwjyauy31bKeeZ2AP3HxfPUB3cCeq2tMz32UEPE-K3geFE4UZ2fJEVgvu7-Ym_lZAOxtEq3oyTegAyEAkBNbGutjEUttctqwkbhSmwgRU6Nw9xzzmhebUjX5MtsVycBHBEsypyNQDql8w1ytOemwzgU5YymH-eWCuYSci8ef_ylOSVRWWpClk3GUvFEDwOhQ-UpPtPFt4eow=w1074-h805-no

ZNhZ29zwxWzcBPzTyWXp9NiBb4uN-6KZrAyNXrj4OTsQ_WcW9_mex3zoaEGU0YAlsQ6lZ1h-_KELsDrDfvshKP5tlPIgLLiMOXAb2LIFvqygKcCJ19XmixQrPdHTyCVadw5F2nSMcucn3VmTs3ZgCfPmnQOL4LPmCrH49hhLPEntf2r_UjoA1jFWS-7hCuX0HsNOHOZ7ht5WUsDuilq8uSMTk6LiqCRm3x_-Rjre2lD6L51by6pjfDs2ZxYH1gT15Z-pGmvIW5AWngCnyabCd_1YEqCkjZOTUQPsDq6Pp-o-rv7AhCMNHDn7hLPGMv-OFSE5x27qNkDNLkrSLTEVmvUXPsBBEAQjguuicDb2SijVQ-Urnv3mSNevv8wawvK9ouaYrH400M84yhYhSL7ejccYdGdMpEQFUqSM1caVSM7Arou7nmRIjkwk6CfjCCKWC07C5tnvwrE93iiF9belGrcl1N_QC6547PvPKeHuIAbiCtlo1Ci4ytxU42AQHugYxLEVVipSCfPNGzRAm0-nnzbtIOaqU-Sqy7LEGucXqZ8=w1074-h805-no

AtNOiV4Y-CaR4zZUZTRKAcdAV8GazFEz5ugfAmD5jkKbNjeKwepqnSORd5tDfl_MmSNatK-QCSBcZuEU47E5qJ2Bvu8mmfHe6L_1m-pBWI5DnawLQzyzdxYO7y5x_6qTjeBlvx2s6tzA2wcRJ_aeQ3S7LTk7_7Nz9pTcPcg1UKHdl_ZccZ_bjJLglbRwS438LO_MhgeuxfmAi6lSEMtpG-v4LwxfhJKpawWDVZ3rKJ8-Nhxuk9bfjKxkcc0ftuWyn0KbJDPLnFbzi97mG8wGOw2cwc3ajERL-rB9_YPrTfXmE9EnIQpKpcIci-sn5A4S5sMpSleEaWppRWhXZj-7CfrBKnexGi2Iu7nYENpgguXVb6kvNSQqUSkDRxLRZt8lkEeIojeTKsDHjSAhyZHcdWRU_Xs5UL_YnnbVhouPF-VolZqedamVsrGSSjvib5TJKM99plFLhnzR-5kE07upPp5wgbXJtjFbB3D5JiAHl-9rmYRZCJRxeiu_SpS6Mc67oALByFO_4ngM9QLhir9jJl6ecoBUnT_q4Rt6uX4W-WE=w1074-h805-no

I'm really happy with how it turned out! :D

More progress to come...

• 1 month later...

Finally some progress to report! :D

I installed the glare shield, and the multi-function display on the commanders side :cool:, the monitor still needs a bezel but that's still in the works.

MEiVl99.jpg

2vPm4A0.jpg

5K2DWUH.jpg

Progress has been slow do to cold weather and a lack of supplies. :mad:  I'm hoping to have the frame for the overhead done by spring. We'll see...

Edited by Krewmember

Awesome! I love how much data fits on the screen. Personally, I say readouts cluttered with info are the best kind. :P

On 9/13/2015 at 3:32 AM, richfiles said:

I just found a working RCA 3.5 inch diagonal color CRT TV today, with the AC adapter, at a garage sale for $5... I grabbed that in a heartbeat! :sticktongue:

It's nice. CRT looks good, and it has video inputs on the side! Guy said it only got use in an RV while on trips. I will likely remove the CRT from the stock case and panel mount it into my controller. Curiously... The case has a tripod mount on the bottom! How interesting! The tuner is electronic, with an on screen bright green line that scrolls left or right based on the frequency, the VHF numbers are listed above the CRT, and UHF numbers below.

RCATVpicture.jpg

The fact that you have the Red Green show on greatly pleases me. I guess you really are a handyman if you can get that to work! XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.