My Simpit Project

Krewmember

If it isn't too late, could a split throttle be possible? I'm sure there's an in-game mod that allows for individual engine throttle control, and if you fly atmospheric aircraft it could come in handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well.. the beer would have to be root beer :P but I guess a mini fridge and snack drawer could come in handy on long missions :D

Are you going to tilt it like you're sitting on you're back? :cool:

I may try to but the way its designed I do not think it will be possible.

Yesterday I stopped at a thrift store and I picked up this cool 5" portable television from the 80's for $8, I was amazed to find that it has a composite input. So instead of having to use a RF modulator I can just plug it in :) I'm hoping to use it for a data monitor and maybe for viewing hull cams and docking port cams using a vga to composite converter and software to capture the feeds from the cameras :confused: maybe...

-OqB90bftA5ojEhJXeg2Zbf2N-sek9cXGbDPbL5P784=w735-h551-no

j0fBi3gmfTw8ly6LRwZGzAbAp64oQLl7c7116O-eY40=w735-h551-no

Yesterday I stopped at a thrift store and I picked up this cool 5" portable television from the 80's for $8

:o

That's so awesome and epic!

We aren't allowed to have electrical products sold at 'thrift stores' (or, as we call them - op shops, short for 'opportunity').

Really looks the part too! :D

We aren't allowed to have electrical products sold at 'thrift stores' (or, as we call them - op shops, short for 'opportunity').

Hmm, why is that? liability or something like that?

Edited by Krewmember

;.; That sounds terrible! I've never heard the term "opportunity shop" used before. Ever... No electronics seems like not that much opportunity...

If this is something cooked up by lawyer and insurance/assurance companies, then that is just terrible!

If it's a law, it's a royally dumb one. Re-use is far more important than recycling, in terms of reducing overall waste. If this is law, it's bad. A real bad one. Here in Minnesota, USA, there is a push to actually sign a bill into law that would give citizens the "Right to repair". Companies would not be permitted to inhibit shops or individuals from attempting repairs if they sold products here. If a customer requests technical information on repair, the company would be obligated to provide that serve information. They can charge for it, but they have to provide it. If they request parts, and the parts are still in production, they have to sell to the customer/shop.

Of course, all the big manufacturers have been lobbying against these types of laws, cause they want you to recycle your old stuff and buy new.

Re-use is a GREAT way to keep old e-waste from contaminating the Earth, and gets us all cool parts to hack and salvage for Kerbal Space Program! :D

This is my latest find: An amber monochrome wide format CRT. It's 8 x 3.5 inches (19.6 x 8.6 cm). No burn in at all!

AmberWideCRT.jpg

I 100% agree with you, richfiles. I always try to re-use whenever possible, almost all the wood in the simpit is re-used lumber.

Anyway.. Congratulations on that find, monochrome CRTs in amber or green are always real cool and it being wide format is even better.

Hmm, why is that? liability or something like that?

Bingo. Because the onus is on these small (mostly community-run) stores to do electrical tests on the products, and then have a plastic 'tag' applied to verify it has been tested in accordance with the law / safety standards.

Depending on the person doing the testing + tagging, the average price is about $50 per device.

So, the reality is that these stores could sell the electronics - but they just can't afford to test them and make them compliant with the regulations.

;.; That sounds terrible! I've never heard the term "opportunity shop" used before. Ever... No electronics seems like not that much opportunity...

If this is something cooked up by lawyer and insurance/assurance companies, then that is just terrible!

If it's a law, it's a royally dumb one. Re-use is far more important than recycling, in terms of reducing overall waste. If this is law, it's bad. A real bad one. Here in Minnesota, USA, there is a push to actually sign a bill into law that would give citizens the "Right to repair". Companies would not be permitted to inhibit shops or individuals from attempting repairs if they sold products here. If a customer requests technical information on repair, the company would be obligated to provide that serve information. They can charge for it, but they have to provide it. If they request parts, and the parts are still in production, they have to sell to the customer/shop.

Of course, all the big manufacturers have been lobbying against these types of laws, cause they want you to recycle your old stuff and buy new.

I absolutely agree (which makes it hard for someone like me to throw out / e-cycle working computer parts or other electronics).

I think I heard about that bill on slashdot at some point. It's definitely one of the smarter things to have been developed / thought about. We can also blame manufacturers (I'm looking at you Apple!) for designing obsolescence into their products.

Unfortunately, I think it's come from a fear of litigation (spurred by the wave of crazy stuff in the USA) which is why they've put in so many legal loop-holes about what can and cannot be done.

This is what has driven a good portion of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) laws here down-under. It's good, as a preventative (and keeps the business owners accountable) but it is a double-edged sword, as it overcomplicates things. Most would say that this legislation has been good in preventing accidents.

Older tech can still be bought via electronics surplus stores, or some waste transfer stations (aka. rubbish tips) actually have little 'thrift store' style huts where they sell off electronics and stuff that still works.

I'm pretty sure they sell it as 'untested' (similar to the way ebay does) but hey, it's one way of reusing.

Re-use is a GREAT way to keep old e-waste from contaminating the Earth, and gets us all cool parts to hack and salvage for Kerbal Space Program! :D

Apart from the game, and yes - keeping the contaminates away from the earth, I feel it's very important to minimise wasted resources; This tv works, so why acquire materials from the planet to go and make a newer one? The function is the same.

It's very difficult to convince people who have been brain-washed by the consumerist mind-set of this though :/

I got the television mounted to the console. Now I need to get monitors for the windows, I'm planning to have four total two in front and two on the sides or just two in front. I'm not exactly sure, four would be more of a shuttle/aircraft and two would be a pod or capsule. Hmm :huh: what do you guy think i should do?

PVJYw7qDF94CRPsIpBidwv2scgOPRDnA-IAckVCAYHs=w735-h551-no

E_LjnxoqCZzHZIDdOp9_XbuHS60QcSlmgo7iXsHLYXQ=w735-h551-no

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.