My Simpit Project

Krewmember

Time to write here ... your project was my main inspiration to build my own IVA simulator, so you are guilty for my wasted time :wink:  - I like the concept of really sitting in the narrow capsule, please make when finished a realtime mission to Mun  ... and i also like the precision of the woodwork :thumbsup:

On 15.5.2016 at 5:48 PM, Krewmember said:

I hooked up the MAX7219 wrong and let the magic smoke out of the chip :D

:D ... i really hope that there was smoke, at least for the personal pleasure while being in that 'sad' situation recognizing color blindness caused wrong wire hookup. Normally the electronics from today dies smoke and odorless, earlier it burnt, it cracked, it smoked and it smelled ... good old times :ugly: - I'm keen to see the annunciator in action :)

• 6 months later...

I haven't posted here in awhile, do to other projects consuming my time.

Here is the simpit in its current state.

iB9qZ9T.jpg

The only things I have done since my last update, is install the monitor on the pilots side. I also removed the arcade joystick as I still need to modify it to have a third axis.

Most recently I have been working on the software for the MFDs.

My goal is to emulate RasterPropMonitor as close as I can.

This is what I have achieved is far, Still vary much a work in progress.

EDkK5oU.gif

I used Python, kRPC and Kivy. I'm still deciding on the best way to render the navball.

Edited by Krewmember

• 1 year later...

Finally some progress worth posting :)

I have mostly been working on just software for the MFDs, but I did finally get the annunciator working.

I made this program using Unity3D and the kRPC C# library. It's emulates the RasterPropMonitor mod as a external standalone program. I have also been working another program that simulates pre-glass cockpit space shuttle instruments. I will get some screen shots of that and post them here as soon as I can.

9pmcuPP.jpg

OJeOoqk.jpg

I now need to make some frames for MFDs that have buttons in them so I can interface with the software :wink:

The LED colors and warnings are laid out just like the space shuttles caution & warning matrix :D

beLBuJe.jpg

On 3/19/2018 at 12:09 PM, Freshmeat said:

Are you inclined to share your code to extract RPM info screens. It would be of immense value to several other hardware modders around.

Yes I will be sharing the code when It's in more of a useful state.

Here is the link to the github repo for the external rasterpropmonitor program's unity project.

https://github.com/Krewmember/External-MFD

Just be aware at the time of this post it is not compete and is still missing a lot of screens and the main screen does not have unit scaling, so let's say you are at 5.2Km it will display 5200.0m instead of 5.2Km. I will be working to fix this when I have the time.

Edited by Krewmember

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2018 at 12:48 PM, Krewmember said:

Here is the link to the github repo for the external rasterpropmonitor program's unity project.

https://github.com/Krewmember/External-MFD

Just be aware at the time of this post it is not compete and is still missing a lot of screens and the main screen does not have unit scaling, so let's say you are at 5.2Km it will display 5200.0m instead of 5.2Km. I will be working to fix this when I have the time.

@Krewmember If I were to run this RPM emulator, would a RasPi 3b have enough computational power? And does it work by sending data to an IP, then accessed by a second computer, or over a USB link with the data precompiled by KSP to a display controller? I appreciate your work greatly!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

-Says someone who can't code and is happy someone else is doing the work and being kind enough to give it to the community.

EDIT: Why don't you sell panel mountable units with buttons to either a.) a manufacturer or b.) at a premium? Just for hardware noobs....

Edited by KerBlitz Kerman

If I were to run this RPM emulator, would a RasPi 3b have enough computational power? And does it work by sending data to an IP, then accessed by a second computer, or over a USB link with the data precompiled by KSP to a display controller? I appreciate your work greatly!

Sadly their is no good way to run unity games on the raspberry pi because the raspberry pi is ARM based and not x86. Unity can only compile ARM applications for android.

The emulator is using the kRPC C# library. The kRPC mod sends and receives data over TCP so it can work locally or over a network. You could probably use ethernet over USB as well.

Why don't you sell panel mountable units with buttons to either a.) a manufacturer or b.) at a premium? Just for hardware noobs....

That's a good idea, but I do not have the time or money to invest in such a project right now :(

Edited by Krewmember

• 2 weeks later...

@Krewmember I have a cousin who is selling on ebay a David Clark intercom- I believe this it https://www.ebay.com/itm/David-Clark-ISOCOM/202220106249?hash=item2f1541f209:g:y4cAAOSwXsFaedRt

Anyhow he is a actual pilot, and if you could find a way to integrate that intercom into your system, I could see if i could get you a discount on it.

That way you can run the speakers at full strength and still be able to talk! :confused:

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2015 at 12:18 PM, Krewmember said:

Yesterday I stopped at a thrift store and I picked up this cool 5" portable television from the 80's for $8, I was amazed to find that it has a composite input. So instead of having to use a RF modulator I can just plug it in :) I'm hoping to use it for a data monitor and maybe for viewing hull cams and docking port cams using a vga to composite converter and software to capture the feeds from the cameras :confused: maybe...

-OqB90bftA5ojEhJXeg2Zbf2N-sek9cXGbDPbL5P784=w735-h551-no

j0fBi3gmfTw8ly6LRwZGzAbAp64oQLl7c7116O-eY40=w735-h551-no

I've randomly discovered the 'basic engine' board; which has an RCA video out - maybe that could be used to somehow purpose this monitor? :D 

https://basicengine.org/

On 7/29/2015 at 10:18 PM, Krewmember said:

I'm hoping to use it for a data monitor and maybe for viewing hull cams and docking port cams using a vga to composite converter and software to capture the feeds from the cameras :confused: maybe..

I too have been thinking of using a second monitor for viewing hullcam/ docking port cam footage. However, I don't know what the best way to do this is. The best method I can think of is simply writing a program to screencapture the KSP window, and then display the camera footage to the second monitor. The problem is that for this to work, the camera's rendered image would still have to take up screen space on the main monitor, which would make the main monitor unusable for something like mission control or as something to simply display the view from the pod window. Any advice?

• 10 months later...

Any updates to the Simpits fellow Nuats? 

I am working on my own project and am wanting to go the RPM to secondary MFDs (maybe thrustmaster cougars?).

I would love a way to get cam footage through them as well.  if I have a either an external cam, or a targeting pod, being able to see that footage through those MFD screens. 

Also, I would think that Telemachus would be a great addition to these types of projects.

• 3 years later...

Hello everyone ! 

Wah thats a nice build you have here ! I’m currently in the process of building my own simpit as well, and I am deeply looking for a software to get those external monitors working !!

Do you have any update on the software ? 

Thanks a lot !!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.