How does the GRAVMAX Negative Gravioli Detector work, really?

Instresu

Einstein taught us, through his equivalence principle, that free fall is equal to initial motion and any accelerometer "on-board" a spaceship in a such state will not register any acceleration; because there isn't any – to freely fall is to be in an initial frame of reference. This makes me wonder how the Gravioli Detector works. Is there any plausible explanation behind it or is it just magic breaking general relativity?

Edited by Instresu

is very self explanatory, it detects negative gravioli particles.

Given that such particles existed, how would they relate to the gravitational field strength?

Kerbals have figured out how to measure gravitons, or how to measure the curvature of space-time.

We have no such instrument.

Theoretically, how would that work? The tensors used in Einstein's field equations changes between reference frames in a such way that it's impossible to tell free fall from any other initial motion, beuause you are simply travelling along a geodesic in spacetime.

Gravity in a game can be calculated as it is a known value, it does not need to be inferred nor does it rely on reference frames.

Also, the gravioli detector will give different results when exposed to tomatosauceons.

Gravity in a game can be calculated as it is a known value, it does not need to be inferred nor does it rely on reference frames.

Also, the gravioli detector will give different results when exposed to tomatosauceons.

Their warranty is also voided if you mean to detect Positive Gravioli Particles. :P

The answer is simple. In the kerbal universe, gravity is a force applied by gravioli particles. These are material manifestations of quantum energy that are attracted to matter. Planets exert a strong pull on them. The pull of gravioli particles towards a planet pushes on spacecraft in orbit of that planet, forcing them towards the surface. Negative gravioli particles have the opposite interaction with matter and harnessing them would lead to anti-gravity technology. This is why the kerbals have a sensor for it. The problem is taht it is repelled from matter, thus always being pushed away by the presence of the detector, making the search pointless.

This is complete and utter BS made up on the spot. I take no responsibility for any actions made by persons assuming my false theory to be fact.

No no, the positive Gravioli* particle is the one that repels. Negative pulls things inward. However, positive Gravioli particles are considered borderline psuedoscience, and the "negative" in the name of the well-studied particle is a leftover from an earlier time before experiments effectively ruled out the existence of the positive. It is not, however, as psuedoscientific as the annoyingly-commonly-believed "Toaster Procreation Field" theory of gravitation, which, however, cannot be discussed in polite company.

*The Gravioli particle (and, by extension, gravitation, previously known as "that force wot pulls you down") is named after the famed physicist Gravioli Kerman whose groundbreaking experiments and studies into the nature of gravity were strongly offset by his often jarring beliefs, such as his rather outspoken opinion that the early experiments into rocket flight should be shut down as "there's nothing really up there anyway and you all should shut up and stop trying", which eventually lead to his death three years later after an angry mob tore down his self-constructed Leaning Tower of Gravioli without realizing he was inside it.

Edited by NovaSilisko

Einstein taught us, through his equivalence principle, that free fall is equal to initial motion and any accelerometer "on-board" a spaceship in a such state will not register any acceleration; because there isn't any – to freely fall is to be in an initial frame of reference. This makes me wonder how the Gravioli Detector works. Is there any plausible explanation behind it or is it just magic breaking general relativity?

I don't know how the Gravioli detector works, but the NASA uses two satellites one following the other through space.

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/k-4/features/F_Measuring_Gravity_With_Grace.html

This works because surface perturbations that result in decreases in surface mass (a satellites is only a few hundreds of miles above earths surface).

Theoretically if a machine was sensitive enough you could have two floating balls in a device and measure the distance between the floating balls as the travel.

You can estimate the average gravity of an object by knowing how fast a craft is traveling at its perigee (radial) and the major axis, and in fact if one can simulataneously measure radial component of velocity and the orbital component of velocity one can measure gravity at any point in an orbit.

KSP physics are Newtonian, not Einsteinian; skip the tensors. Well, actually it's a bit odder than that... gravitational forces in are a vector field, and at least some coordinate systems are absolute. (There's also some weird juggling with relative coordinate systems based around a craft's current location, but still...)

*The Gravioli particle (and, by extension, gravitation, previously known as "that force wot pulls you down") is named after the famed physicist Gravioli Kerman whose groundbreaking experiments and studies into the nature of gravity were strongly offset by his often jarring beliefs, such as his rather outspoken opinion that the early experiments into rocket flight should be shut down as "there's nothing really up there anyway and you all should shut up and stop trying", which eventually lead to his death three years later after an angry mob tore down his self-constructed Leaning Tower of Gravioli without realizing he was inside it.
I think I'm going to hack some of this into my KSP part description. First thing I do when new parts come out, is read their descriptions to see what slightly bent nuggets of Kerbal wisdom might be there. That sense of humor has been absolutely essential in my view, leavening what would otherwise be a dry space sim.

No no, the positive Gravioli* particle is the one that repels. Negative pulls things inward. However, positive Gravioli particles are considered borderline psuedoscience, and the "negative" in the name of the well-studied particle is a leftover from an earlier time before experiments effectively ruled out the existence of the positive. It is not, however, as psuedoscientific as the annoyingly-commonly-believed "Toaster Procreation Field" theory of gravitation, which, however, cannot be discussed in polite company.

Little known fact: The Round-8 is a direct result of attempting to mitigate the unpredictable (and often dangerous) effects of trying to toast bagels. Preeminent "TPF" scientist (and part-time evil overlord) Schwartz Kerman discovered that coating them in gold foil nullified the worst effects of the Toaster Procreation Field.

Eventually, Schwartz attempted to go to Duna on a vessel (The Crumbs of Our Ancestors) fueled entirely by Round-8's. Unfortunately, contact was lost 237 days into the mission, just before orbital capture. Legend says he will never go hungry.

18hgigy1j6tesjpg.jpg

Edited by FleshJeb

I don't know much about the detector itself, but I do know that in the presence of Gravioli particles, do NOT put metal in a microwave.

See: Futurama S3E11 "Roswell that Ends Well"

Farnsworth: Remarkable! According the high-precision digital chronograph it's July 9th, 1947, which would explain why the chronograph has turned into this pin-up calendar.

Bender: Wait a second. You mean we travelled through time?

Farnsworth: Doy! Some idiot must have put metal in the microwave--

Fry: Yo!

Farnsworth: And the microwave radiation, combined with the gravitons and graviolis from the supernova, blasted us through time itself.

Edited by Nutt007

I think pretty much all the science in the game is magic. The name/description is just Kerbal being Kerbal. It could be science to determine the consistency of squirrel droppings in space and it wouldn't make a difference.

Since when are Gravioli particles RL science?

Especially on the first page people are having quite a bit of fun explaining how it might work through real life science. Please stop fouling up this thread, nothing good will come of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.