Can I bring back science with a probe?

I collected a bunch of science on minmus, but I'm leaving my mobile processing lab on the surface for now. I could sent a manned mission to pick up the science to return to kerbin, but I'd prefer to send a probe if possible. If I land a probe nearby, can one of my guys EVA over and store the science in it like they would a capsule? If not, would it work if I put something like a MK1 lander with probe controls? Whatever is lightest I guess.

Likewise, would a probe be suitable for minmus hopping and science collecting? I realise I couldn't reset equipment but I'd take eg 4 science JRs and then fly back to the science lab for resetting. Thinking that would be lighter than a manned capsule.

I would suggest trying with the lightest 1-man command pod, the Lander Can (with a probe on top). You can certainly move the science into it, but I don't believe I have ever tried returning science on an unmanned craft. Funky idea!

You would need to have something that can store the science, like a command pod or the landing can. If you have that on a probe, you can transfer the science back home by landing it safely.

The benefit of going this way is that you need very little to actually transport the science. Yesterday I actually flew a probe form Minimus back home safely with less than 20L of fuel, and landed without a parachute, because the mass of the probe is so low.

Probes can bring science back as long as it is not removed from the experiments - so your science lab allows you to reuse your tech but at the cost of needing another solution.

Sollutions:

A) manned Mission - light weight but atmospherically survivable reentry vessel (or a light weight collector that would dock and transfer the science to an atmospherically capable reentry vessel.)

B) install a mod that allows for a "Science box" part. Try side mounting this back pack mod to a probe core: KAS Portable Science Container. or hope this 0.90 version Science Box survives in 1.0+ http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90678-0-90-Science-Containers-v-08-2. OR find your own similar mod.

C) Hack your saved or ship files. Find a part that has the ability you seek and copy and paste the desired code that describes it into a part that does not. Might take some trial and error or lots of code reading to make sure you have all the relevant lines of code - but I think this one is pretty easy. Thus your engineers will have thrown out some less useful probe parts (why where those in there?) and replaced them with a glove box for storing science or snacks (depending on the code you use).

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

I wouldn't use a probe for collecting science on Minmus. By not doing EVA reports or surface samples you lose out on a lot of science points. Much more than you get from experiment bays.

One thing that does work well on Minmus is ion powered ships. The low gravity really helps and you can run 4 ions off a pair of the large solar panels or, if you use Universal Storage, a single fuel cell.

Ion ships will sort of work on the Mun, but your TWR makes them better suited to short range hovercraft rather than orbital shuttles. Getting to or from orbit in an ion ship takes thousands of ms dV since you need to run at full throttle for most of the trip.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.