New Service / Utility Bays in 1.x - Kraken bait?

Bluebird1

Doesanyone else have the same trouble I have with these new storage bays,both the 1.25 and 2.5m?

Iget random shaking and general glitching whenever I try to use them,last night culminating in a science module going nuts and having tobe decoupled before it tore apart the station it was docked to. Itused to be that the 2.5m ones were temperamental, but last night itwas a 1.25m version. The strange thing was that it was tested on theground first, and had been taken up to Muna orbit where the stationwas with out any problems. Happened when I loaded back to the stationfrom the tracking station, there it was having some kind ofseizure.

Theseseem to be very buggy at the moment, and I'm finding I'm avoidingusing these due to their inherent instability, which is a shame asthey serve a very useful purpose and I want to use them.

When parts clip through service bay floor/ceiling and into adjacent parts, the kraken awakens. Most notorious are those goo canisters of kraken summoning.

That's why I place structural elements inside container bay and attach those kraken-summoning bits to them.

Never ever clip anything thru the bay doors. Rather don't even go near them! I once had a ship I managed to save by opening the doors before the shaking got too bad. I then went and closed the doors again and watched the pieces fly...

most probably related to colliders volume and there respective animation wich are slighty different from the part(s) and cause collision and shaking by unseeable occlusions and/or proximity within some part(s) and non rigid joint native properties wich tend to turn in an exponential kind of calculation loop by the physics engine (colliders layer is unseeable in game that's why this kind of thing happen time to time).

(http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43478?p=564188&viewfull=1#post564188)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

In my own experience, it's like this:

1. Probe Cores:

If you attach an inline probe core to the floor node of the service bay, or on top of something else inert (SAS, inline battery, etc.) that is itself on the floor node of the bay, no problem. However, if you hang the probe core from the ceiling node in the service bay, you get horrible shakes as soon as you launch.

2. Clipping Through Floor/Ceiling of Service Bays:

Not really a problem for "inert" (non-animated) parts. For instance, I routinely hang the large radial RCS tanks from the ceiling and their feet clip through into whatever part is stacked above the bay. The only time this causes a problem is if that other part is a docking port, which of course usually don't work with anything clipping into them. However, it's a different story with animated parts, IF the moving components themselves clip the flor or ceiling of the service bay. If they don't, then no problem.

3. Service Bay Door Collisions

This is when the swinging doors impact some other part of the rocket. There are actually 2 ways this can cause problems:

A. In the VAB/SPH

While the doors move harmlessly through other rocket parts in the editors, the EFFECT of them having passed through the other parts remains when you later go to fly the rocket. This results in the whole rocket vibrating badly. This situation usually arises when you belatedly remember you need to assign action groups to parts in the service bay and you've already built more rocket around the bay in the way of the doors (you don't plan on opening the bay in flight). So the lesson here is, if you're loading up a bay you don't plan on opening in flight, be sure you do everything necessary to the parts inside before closing the bay the last time and then building stuff around it.

B. In Flight

Bay doors that impact other rocket parts will opening in flight don't usually result in vibrations, Instead, they work like bulldozers, pushing hard on the surrounding parts. Depending on joint strength, the other parts will either bend out of the way and snap back no problem, or will break off. As with all animations in KSP, the moving doors are an irresistible force so will never be stopped by anything in their path.

I've found that in my latest spaceplane, which ended up needing a service bay, it shakes when first loaded but stops as soon as the bay moves, either opening or closing, and remains stable after the animation finishes. My guess is the source of the problem is related to the animation and the colliders turning on/off improperly.

For fun, trap a Kerbal inside a bay while on EVA. If there's not enough room in the bay, they'll flop and twitch around, possibly leading to either broken parts or if you're really lucky, a Kraken summoning.

I put my goo on the floor too, and I haven't had a problem so far. The only problem I've noticed is the top-attached probe core: not a good idea! Attaching the core to the bottom of the bay is fine, though. I've attached (and used) parachutes attached to both nodes, and they work fine too -- if you remember to open the doors before deploying the chutes.

Also, I've successfully attached the Communitron antenna to either the bottom or top of the bay; it works fine, even though it clips through all sorts of stuff when extended. But my recent designs avoid this, as I don't like part-clipping.

I cram them full aswell havn't noticed any probs...

Managed to fit : 4xGoo canisters, 4xthermometers, 4xbarometers, a structural cube thing, magnetometer and orbital telescope from dmagic slightly clipping but only a little bit no probs :) Done a few missions with that config.

Last time i seen the craken was with clipping external mono tanks back in 0.25 :/

I cram them full aswell havn't noticed any probs...

Managed to fit : 4xGoo canisters, 4xthermometers, 4xbarometers, a structural cube thing, magnetometer and orbital telescope from dmagic slightly clipping but only a little bit no probs :) Done a few missions with that config.

Last time i seen the craken was with clipping external mono tanks back in 0.25 :/

I have had problems with two ships, both was 3x2.5 m stacks, it looks like the bays hate being in stacks. closing the doors does not always help here.

I always attach probe cores to the top node of the smaller bays and never have any problems. Have avoided clipping anything through the doors as I figured it would cause issues.

Generally avoid clipping as much as possible so Goo canisters are always unimpeded. The only object that has severe clipping is the RCS tanks, but as they are not animated I haven't had any issues with bays.

Though I found they make good landing legs. Just land a base on it's side and open the doors, perfect legs!

I put my goo on the floor too, and I haven't had a problem so far.

There might be a conflict with angle snapped and rotated goo only?

With angle snap it has to be rotated first or it will clip through the bay and only show its feet, without angle snap the goo sits inside the bay.

I too have a ship with a service bay that is acting up - but it is not shaking, it is moving its center of mass/camera like zooming out and a bit to the left ... I only had this once with a parachute mod bug, but this ship has neither chutes nor fairings.

9kzR8L8.png

This is the bay I used for my Mun and Minmus landings in the start before I learned about clipping problems.

Octo probe core in center, the two boxes with handles are science experiment storage. You can store science experiments for later retrieval.above one goo container and one life support container.

Thermometer on bottom pressure and seismic detector on top with an battery in center.

Back is more batteries and an mechjeb module. backup parachute on top of bay below pod however its visible in bay from the back.

Life support module clips door.

Never had any problems with it.

I have experienced Phantom forces with them, I had a minmus lander that would not stop spinning "head over heels". time warp would stop it, but as soon as I un warped, it began accelerating in its spin again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.