The secret to landing 2 ships near each other...

DarkGravity

Oddly I cant rendezvous, but I can land landers on top landers. I've done that probably 8-9 times and by the time I realize it, its usually too late for me because I panic and crash. I really need to learn to make my kerbals get out, and plant a flag for my landing location and have their lander 300m away or so. I never learn though.

Edit: Which gives me an idea... A lander stacker challenge... How many of the same landers can you *land* on top of each other before they topple over.

By accident (or perhaps on purpose, cuz he's like that), on returning from EVA Jeb jet-packed right into the top of the ship knocking it over onto its side. What an idiot! Luckily it was on Minmus and the ship was able to SAS-torque its way upright again.

Back in 0.90 I was trying out the Karbonite mod for the first time. My system involved a surface extractor with lots of drills and solar panels and three docking ports as "landing pads," an orbital refinery, and a big tanker lander to ferry karbonite from the former to the latter. Of course this involved teaching myself extremely precision landing skills:

screenshot345.png

screenshot358.png

screenshot378.png

(That's all stock apart from the Karbonite parts, by the way.)

The only disaster I encountered was coming in for the landing a bit too close one time and shearing off a row of solar panels (even though they were retracted at the time). Fortunately the rest still provided enough power to operate the drills.

It was only later that I realized it would make more sense to just put the drills and solar panels on the lander itself...

My bases rely on my skill of estimating rotations and pin-point landings. I had a massive mun base, with a towering habitat, when I landed a illumination probe too close. Knocked it over. All the crew survived but I declared emergency, so they all headed home.

Base was scrapped.

It was actually a great learning experience.

I'd like to figure a way to land within the range of KIS/KAS fuel lines but not on top. Its too close for safety and using a flag the errors stack (too close and you might miss toward the ship and hit that, if you miss away from the ship your too far for easy plumbing).

Fish Inferno - Love the UpGoer-5 (thought of adding it vertically to my own but then it would be huge)

With mechjeb landing autopilot on airless bodies this is an real issue.

Solution is to take manual control at the final decent phase where it goes straight down, use rcs to move the landing spot.

You can also just change the coordinates or target an flag, later works nice until you hit the flag.

And yes KAS works perfect here, one tricks is an rover with an kas winch to extend range up to 100 meters.

Been there, done that. All part of being Kerbal.

- - - Updated - - -

Back in 0.90 I was trying out the Karbonite mod for the first time. My system involved a surface extractor with lots of drills and solar panels and three docking ports as "landing pads," an orbital refinery, and a big tanker lander to ferry karbonite from the former to the latter. Of course this involved teaching myself extremely precision landing skills:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5J2P7V5YQ8o/VWNmymziCDI/AAAAAAAABaU/QVrVAKP3EzQ/s640/screenshot345.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zGmg2x2ImPA/VWNnC58jiVI/AAAAAAAABak/neD7i_Fx7o4/s640/screenshot358.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uiN38of2fBs/VWNnKCVDuLI/AAAAAAAABa0/lgnEUUDcsro/s640/screenshot378.png

(That's all stock apart from the Karbonite parts, by the way.)

The only disaster I encountered was coming in for the landing a bit too close one time and shearing off a row of solar panels (even though they were retracted at the time). Fortunately the rest still provided enough power to operate the drills.

It was only later that I realized it would make more sense to just put the drills and solar panels on the lander itself...

That is a really fascinating design idea. I love the "landing pads". I have to try this.

The best I've ever done is under a kilometer. Not as close as I would like but makes for some fun EVA-jetpack-riding

I have landed a base module close enough for magnetic forces to make it dock :3 :cool:

Yet I still cannot dock two ships launched separately in orbit...

Edited by LABHOUSE
typo

I have landed a base module close enough for magnetic forces to make it dock :3 :cool:

Yet I still cannot dock two ships launched separately in orbit...

I have the same problem. I have docked a lander upside down on my Gilly outpost but I still get disoriented while docking in space. I guess the terrain and shadows are a real plus for my challenged brain.

I have the same problem. I have docked a lander upside down on my Gilly outpost but I still get disoriented while docking in space. I guess the terrain and shadows are a real plus for my challenged brain.

Gilly is pretty much 0g, I have had kerbals on jetpack getting escape velocity moving around on my base.

More fun is to have an kerbal intercept and board an ship on escape trajectory.

Gilly is kind of police academy for orbital operations.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.