Devnote Tuesday: Greener Pastures mk2

SQUAD

Cool Squad ;) can't wait for 1.1 :D i'v been using Unity for two years now, and working on my own 2D and some 3D games. Unity was always awesome, but Unity5 is really amazing. i can't imagine how awesome KSP will be in Unity5 (i'm not expecting anything too good, but i'm sure it will at least 10% more awesome then 1.0 :D)

Nor do you from Arsonide or RoverDude. DevNotes are usually just the Squad employees, not the contractors.

Anyone else tiring of the use of the word "broken" for "not what I want"? The new gear work fine, they aren't "broken". Just need some animation for the wheels when turning, but that's an aesthetic issue that doesn't break the game. Not meaning to single you out, it's everywhere. Fairings are heavier than expected and separate in an odd way? Broken! Drag too high? Broken! Drag too low? Broken! LV-Ns generate more heat than preferred? Broken!

I incidentally was not happy about the LV-N heat generation. Now I am figuring out ways to work around it and can still make some interesting vehicles.

What I really don't like is that radially radially attached parts don't transfer heat as well as node attached parts (at least that is what I am observing). And the cubic octagonal strut mounting method is now useless for LV-N because cubic octagonal struts appear to be the best insulator in the universe ;)

However: I have found ways to build around this. And am actually happy with the results.

You're right. Those models don't work at all, not usable. Completely broken. *Sigh*

Seriously, it's an aesthetic issue. Call them incomplete or ugly or something, but "broken" does not apply. And note that that doesn't mean I don't agree that they should be animated, they really should. But it is an aesthetic issue, not breaking anything.

The lights also don't appear to be working or at least aren't consistent with everything else in the game. My iPhone has a broken screen but it still functions, that is just aesthetics too. The temperature gauges in the game are broken, but they still work when the game doesn't crash. Broken doesn't mean unusable, though something that is broken can also be unusable.

I incidentally was not happy about the LV-N heat generation. Now I am figuring out ways to work around it and can still make some interesting vehicles.

What I really don't like is that radially radially attached parts don't transfer heat as well as node attached parts (at least that is what I am observing). And the cubic octagonal strut mounting method is now useless for LV-N because cubic octagonal struts appear to be the best insulator in the universe ;)

However: I have found ways to build around this. And am actually happy with the results.

I felt the same at first, that LV-Ns produced too much heat to be usable. All it took was learning the new system and some new tricks to get them working well again. I do wish for a way to deliberately make two or more parts share heat easily, maybe we'll get something in a future update.

The lights also don't appear to be working or at least aren't consistent with everything else in the game. My iPhone has a broken screen but it still functions, that is just aesthetics too. The temperature gauges in the game are broken, but they still work when the game doesn't crash. Broken doesn't mean unusable, though something that is broken can also be unusable.

Point of order: The heat gauges are fine, it's the part highlighting that leaks memory. Turn off PPFX in the graphics settings and the leak disappears.

You want to say the gear are broken, fine; they are not so flawed that I consider them broken, but maybe lighting and wheelspin animation are more critical to how you use them than they are to me. I just tire of the term being used for every little thing people find flaw with in the game, especially balance issues. It's just hyperbole that devalues the term, which should be used for things that actually break the game, IMO.

I felt the same at first, that LV-Ns produced too much heat to be usable. All it took was learning the new system and some new tricks to get them working well again. I do wish for a way to deliberately make two or more parts share heat easily, maybe we'll get something in a future update.

I'm finding LV-Ns manageable, am starting to make nuclear asteroid tugs and they can burn for several minutes without a problem, which is enough.

I think the way to get parts to share heat is with a new (stock, of course) part called a heat pipe. It would look just like a fuel duct (except for a nice silver or gray color), have a high thermal conductivity, and do absolutely nothing else. We could run the pipes to another stock part called a radiator, which could look and build a lot like a structural pylon and have a very high radiative coefficient. Would not be surprised if this has been suggested before, it seems very doable and could be modded in quite easily based on the existing parts.

- - - Updated - - -

You want to say the gear are broken, fine; they are not so flawed that I consider them broken, but maybe lighting and wheelspin animation are more critical to how you use them than they are to me.
I guess they're not so critical to me, I hadn't noticed yet.

All the best wishes to Roger, good luck with your own project, may it be as awesome for you as ksp for Felipe.

For the devnotes, I am really looking forward to what Unity 5 will bring us, it sounds awesome!

Hmm.... sounds awfully like you found (and had the money to get) EDY's wheel package.... Did you see the current unify community attempt at the old wheel collider functionality ? hope this all works well.... Also makes me think of omnidirectional wheels.... for whatever use they would be in KSP...

oh yes while on the topic of wheels, the wheel doesn't spin because that's not how wheels in unity work... you have to make another script to get the wheel to turn based on ground contact/speed.... Squad has probably just forgotten to assign that script to the wheel and will do so in the next patch...

GL : HF, Roger ! Make a thread in the forum to showcase your progress !

They could always hit up Lo-Fi for the wheel work :P They'd get tank tracks, screws, skids and hovering as well

I'd like to second Lo-Fi's work as well, especially his vastly superior suspension / steering system, as well as the wider range of locomotion options available.

SQUAD, please make this so.

I'd like to second Lo-Fi's work as well, especially his vastly superior suspension / steering system, as well as the wider range of locomotion options available.

SQUAD, please make this so.

I'd like to third Lo-Fi's wheels. I've been watching that mod from the beginning, great stuff.

The main thing I understood from all that wheel talk was: Squad won't be reinventing the wheel ;)

[Excuse me for a few minutes, while I hide under this desk.]

(Sigh) :P

REDACTED: [sAD TROMBONE PLAYS] :D

Edited by Raptor9
Removed video

I'm impressed by how little was in the dev notes yet how much it will mean to the game.

It was pretty much that things are staying the same, moving code to a new version of unity and we'll fix a few bugs in a patch.

Yet this will mean better wheels, 64 bit all round, better physics etc etc

Unity 5 upgrade is looking really good. Especially if it's going to run even faster.

Any chance to make the rover wheels less slippery? I saw a picture on reddit comparing them to skis a while ago, but couldn't find it now. And I find it to be pretty accurate comparison in the way they behave.

Edited by Veeltch

Seems like your job is to reply to forum posts.

That's exactly Kasper's job. :P

Also, I know you guys are excited, but please refrain from posting reaction videos/images.

Cheers,

~Claw

Edited by Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.