getting to know the game

husheruk

Well after downloading the demo from steam, i've been playing for a few days now and gone through six different test articles; prototypes really, so far i've managed two sub orbital flights, two near ballistical trajectories and a couple of long distance flights. But i still haven't managed go really get in to orbit lately, whats on offer in the demo pack isn't much not without going really nuts and designing something really wacko, (i know thats the object, but i know a bit about engineering and i tend to think conventanally)

I am still having trouble getting used to the steering and setting up the stability, my stacks seem to like tipping over even with the SAS on, i check the COG, COT and the areodynamics before each flight but still i have the problem.. nothing for it but to keep trying.

Still its a load of fun and a welcome reielf from hours on Farming Simulator 2013, and looking around on you tube has found tutorials and some great movies- give them a look wonderful.

Is there anything i can add to the demo version, since i'm still saving for the full version of the game.

Hi husheruk,

as you know, the demo can only give you a basic set of the capabilities of the real game. If you already find the demo addictive (as it is for most of us here), the complete game will add a lot to your experience.

From what you show, there is still something to learn about building and flying techniques. Even with the limits of the few parts available in the demo, is definitely possible to build stable crafts, to achieve orbit, and to reach Mun. Enough to keep playing for a bt, while getting the knack of things also frequenting the forum and watching some tutorials or videos if you like.

One thing however that can't be done with the demo (or at least, care was taken by Squad to avoid the possibility) is to exploit it with additions.

I'm not a great engineer or anything, but when I was first playing the demo, I know I had trouble with the front-end of my rockets not being heavy enough. As the cliche goes, I was trying to throw the dart backward, with all the weight to the rear. This inevitably causes the rocket to go all topsy-turvy once you build up some speed. Shifting weight forward helped immensely.

If that's not your problem, do you have a gimble-capable engine or active control surfaces on the first stage? While it is fully possible to build a stable un-guided rocket, its really helpful to have some steering capability in the beginning.

You should totally be able to make orbit without building anything crazy, even with the demo parts. One relatively long first stage with a more powerful engine to get you up to altitude and gain part of the necessary sideways momentum and one relatively short, stubby second stage with a more efficient engine to build up enough lateral momentum to circularize the orbit. I think I tend to use 1 LV-T45 "Swivel" engine with two FL-T800 fuel tanks for the first stage and a LV-909 "Terrier" engine with a FL-T400 fuel tank, a decoupler and a 1-man capsule for the second stage, but there are many possible ways to arrange a successful orbiter.

Also, sounds like you're already watching them, but Scott Manley has some great tutorials.

Many happy launches!

The demo does not have any efficient engines. Just the LV-T30 and some boosters IIRC. It's still possible to build a rocket that orbits, gets to the Mun, lands and returns in the demo though. I would suggest utilizing the build tools in the top left to offset your engine into the fuel tank so that the lander legs will work properly. Of course if you're just wanting to orbit, try this: command pod with parachute, small inline reaction wheel, 2 tanks, engine, decoupler, 10 tanks, engine. No fins or boosters. Press T and space, it should go straight up. At 7000M pitch slowly on the 90 degree vector. Not too fast. The first stage should get you to space, second stage to circularize, and there should be more than enough fuel to return.

I just tested this exact rocket in the demo, and it worked just fine even though my orbit was terrible and I wasted a crap ton of fuel. Hope that helps.

…I am still having trouble getting used to the steering and setting up the stability, my stacks seem to like tipping over even with the SAS on, i check the COG, COT and the areodynamics before each flight but still i have the problem.. nothing for it but to keep trying…

Fuel tanks drain the furthest from the engine first. This means your CoM may drift backwards (depending on your staging) as you burn. Drain the tanks one by one in the VAB in that order, noting if it ever moves beyond your aerodynamic center, and adjust if it does. This is exacerbated by using many small tanks instead of fewer, larger ones.

loads of great advice coming thanks all, well last night was a disaster; i had a stack set up with both fins and RCS and all it did was tumble out of control as it got higher even with the SAS on, looks like the three control systems are not compatable. Then i tried swopping out the main engine in the center for the non gimble version as an experiment and ditching all but one set of RCS around the center line, looked fine ... go for launch and oh my gods... the new engine stayed on the pad and the rest of the stack took off on the outside boosters then: boom.. boom i had to rapidly mash the space bar to get Jeb out alive.

well that's it for manned flights for a while i'll try a set of unmanned booster units for a while until i get this steering issue solved.

whats needed is an abort tower system like the ones mounted on the old Saturn 5b's.

Try again later on and hope i have more sucsess.

loads of great advice coming thanks all, well last night was a disaster; i had a stack set up with both fins and RCS and all it did was tumble out of control as it got higher even with the SAS on, looks like the three control systems are not compatable. Then i tried swopping out the main engine in the center for the non gimble version as an experiment and ditching all but one set of RCS around the center line, looked fine ... go for launch and oh my gods... the new engine stayed on the pad and the rest of the stack took off on the outside boosters then: boom.. boom i had to rapidly mash the space bar to get Jeb out alive.

well that's it for manned flights for a while i'll try a set of unmanned booster units for a while until i get this steering issue solved.

whats needed is an abort tower system like the ones mounted on the old Saturn 5b's.

Try again later on and hope i have more sucsess.

It takes a bit of practice to launch now. Stay close to the prograde marker, especially in the transonic speed range, and go light on the control inputs until you're over 20km. I've been to the Mun using the new demo but it's not as easy to fly rockets as it used to be and the demo does have all the problems that 1.0 had.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.