Discreet (not just aircraft anymore) Parts. (Updated 21-06-15)

Ya, most likely. Like I said, I tend to over engineer things to start with (my mun rocket had a Space Y lifter stage, lol) but I'm still working on it, I am going to work on lowering the part count and weight before I try to make a foldable version.

In my hugely modded game, your parts kill the game :D

Well, they stop it from loading. The loading screen itself isn't frozen (the drop-down from KSP-AVC still works), but it doesn't continue loading "PackedParts/Propeller/Props/PackingProp"

I love this mod! I built a dirigble for Duna (had to mod some of the cfg lines for the blimp). Powered by a very small rocket engine (the props never get enough 'get up and go' on Duna), I used the ERS rover cockpit, and some treads so when I landed, it could easily move around.

Best thing I ever built in KSP so far....purely a lovely sight to behold and works like a charm. Best of all, with the ERS IVA, I can easily fly the blimp from the cockpit, with all the bells and whistles of ASET's rasterprop mod to back me up.

Keep it up, and it's too bad the cy-one has some loading issues...i hope he gets it resolved soon enough.

Cheers.

In my hugely modded game, your parts kill the game :D

Well, they stop it from loading. The loading screen itself isn't frozen (the drop-down from KSP-AVC still works), but it doesn't continue loading "PackedParts/Propeller/Props/PackingProp"

Ah well with a hugely modded game, thats a risk that has to be taken. Though finding if my mod is conflicting with another mod, or just reaching a memory limit is a bit difficult to work out I think.

ANYWAY, just to prove this isnt going the way of the dodo, I have a new design in the pipelines. (I vanish a lot because my work is only ever either nonexistent, or taking all of my time).

p2.gif

The tracks are also on the way, but there are some odd problems I need to fix with those before showing them off. They mostly work, theres just some bugging out.

- - - Updated - - -

I love this mod! I built a dirigble for Duna (had to mod some of the cfg lines for the blimp). Powered by a very small rocket engine (the props never get enough 'get up and go' on Duna), I used the ERS rover cockpit, and some treads so when I landed, it could easily move around.

Best thing I ever built in KSP so far....purely a lovely sight to behold and works like a charm. Best of all, with the ERS IVA, I can easily fly the blimp from the cockpit, with all the bells and whistles of ASET's rasterprop mod to back me up.

Keep it up, and it's too bad the cy-one has some loading issues...i hope he gets it resolved soon enough.

Cheers.

I wanna see the tracked blimp.

I'm still thinking if there's a better way to troubleshoot the loading problem besides "installing" another instance of KSP, adding your parts and then adding a few mods at a time and figuring out what it was.

It's definately not a memory limit problem. ... Well, at least not unless your parts are absolutely insane in memory load. My KSP is around 2.2 GB in Ram after loading.

Liking that prop a lot, btw :)

Btw, did I see that right... You went from stack-mounted wings to surface-mountable wings? Or did I somehow miss them being surface-mounted all the time? :D

I'm still thinking if there's a better way to troubleshoot the loading problem besides "installing" another instance of KSP, adding your parts and then adding a few mods at a time and figuring out what it was.

It's definately not a memory limit problem. ... Well, at least not unless your parts are absolutely insane in memory load. My KSP is around 2.2 GB in Ram after loading.

Liking that prop a lot, btw :)

Btw, did I see that right... You went from stack-mounted wings to surface-mountable wings? Or did I somehow miss them being surface-mounted all the time? :D

They were originally stack mountable, but I came to the conclusion that if I gave every discreet part a stackable body, people would end up with very long noodle-ships. I opted with surface mountable with extra weight instead.

As for figuring out the problem, I may need to call in help from more experienced modders to work that one out.

@electronicfox: I second that decision :D The stack mountable original solution felt kinda "meh" for the exact same reason. You're awesome :D

And yeah, I'd need to do the same, but I don't know any good modders XD

This retractable stack engine is really lovely. Will it be bound to one-way-propulsion or do you intend to have it work 2 ways (rear and front mounted)?

It uses the Firespitter plugin, and like most other FS propellers, it has reversable thrust.

In a quasi-empty install (just Module Manager), it loads flawlessly.

But the Airship in a Tube doesn't work.

Does one need the Hooligan-plugin seperately?

If so, could you add that into the mod archive?

Edited by cy-one

This is now more-or-less out of prototyping for the main sets of parts, it all works just fine so now I need to think about what parts I actually want to make for this.

What I can think of so far:

Jet engines (with the ability to allow bottom stacked parts).

Discreet radial engines (rocket, nuke, ion and atmospheric).

Solar panels (big ones, big folding ones with proper casings).

Rover wheels (small, regular and large, all folding).

inflating floaties (for them water landings).

Different blimp designs.

Different wings (smaller and larger variants).

Any other ideas will also be considered, this is just a quick splurge of what I currently have in mind.

The track thingy is still in consideration? :)

Anyway, imho the next logical step are some different sized wings and a lox fueled engine...not necessarily in that order. :)

The tracks are still in the works, and for the most part actually work just fine. Theres just an odd bug I need to address with the retraction animation in which the game decides that wheels can float several meters away from the actual ship.

• 4 weeks later...

I can only add to the suggestion above by Dr. Jet: Renaming of the mod to "Foldable Parts", or "Deployable Parts" or something.

Since people do not search for "discreet".

And KerbalStuff, maybe?

This work is outstanding, especially for non-oxygen atmosphere craft.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.