[0.15][stock] Milchmann MM-1A

screenshot33q.png

Design Overview

The Milchmann (German for 'milkman') MM-1A is an orbiter than can carry various cargoes to orbit or delivery to space stations (let us pretend the fuselage is a cargo bay). It is the first of my designs to feature an unpowered return vehicle. After main booster separation, propulsion is provided by an OMS (linear RCS thrusters). The orbiter carries a fuel module for the OMS in the rear that is jettisoned after the de-orbit burn. The key feature in this OMS fuel module is that additional RCS tanks can be added to increase mission flexibility.

Note that this craft does not yet have regular RCS thrusters. The reasons for this is (1) there is no ability yet to disable RCS thrusters that you don\'t intend to use at the time, and (2) docking is not yet implemented. You can, of course, add them on, but they will chew through a good amount of fuel when you use the OMS.

Flight Instructions

Important: The craft will tumble out of control during the ascent if you point the nose too far from the prograde vector (the control limit is quite small starting out and increases as with altitude).

Turn the ASAS on and begin your ascent. Roll your craft to have your 'up' be in line with the desired orbital direction. Do all the maneuvers by holding the corresponding directional key and tapping 'f'.

Begin the gravity turn at 5km. Do this by bringing the nose (dot of the artificial wings on the navball) to the edge of the prograde marker circle.

Example-ish:

screenshot34x.png

Keep pointing the nose like this until you get to around 30° (it won\'t really matter after that). Keep the nose within the prograde circle for the rest of the ascent.

You should be at around 36-40km and nearly 5° above the horizon when the main boosters cut out. AP will be around 80km and decreasing.

Use the OMS to get the rest of the way into orbit.

De-orbit:

I have accomplished successful arrival at KSC from 80km by putting my PE at 43km above KSC.

Jettison the OMS fuel pack after de-orbit burn.

Trajectory can be controlled to a certain extend during re-entry.

Landing:

This craft is very stable in flight and glides well. You should have no problem setting up your final approach.

The parachute must be used once you touch down. Failure to do so will result in flipping and destruction of the vehicle (it would be nice if we could brake only with the back wheels).

Good luck to all pilots who gives this a try.

http://youtu.be/L6NR2VUYSmU

Below are some screenshots showing parts of my most recent test flight. (lots of pictures)

After main booster burnout and roll to an upright position.

screenshot37xu.png

Separation of booster stage.

screenshot39a.png

A nice view showing off the OMS and fuel module.

screenshot40m.png

My situation after de-orbit burn.

screenshot41g.png

Jettison of OMS fuel pack.

screenshot42ew.png

About six minutes to KSC

screenshot45g.png

Just needed to take a screenshot of this.

screenshot49f.png

I was doing some S-turns for style. That\'s KSC up ahead.

screenshot54w.png

Turning to set up for my approach.

screenshot56m.png

On final.

screenshot61i.png

Gear down and locked.

screenshot63d.png

Chute deployed. Mission complete.

screenshot64l.png

How did you get the shot from the beginning? With the camera going down the runway?

PS That video was amazing.

It\'s just zooming.

Now, I could have made a better looking space station. Maybe for my next video.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.