Do you like the new Aerodynamic system in the game?

Dspan_000

Do you like the new Aerodynamic system?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Aerodynamic system?

I think the physics constants are a bit too lenient to high velocity reentrys and a bit on the draggy side, but all in all I enjoy it. Still trying to get used to how to SSTO now as velocity heating is brutal at times (punishes jets for trying to do Mach 6 yet doesnt care about a direct entry returning from Duna without a heat shield) but I do enjoy it. Now . . . when coupled with the stock engines getting their knees taken out with a frickin machete, the picture changes. (enter arguably overpowered cryo engines)

It isn't perfect, but it's a huge step in the right direction. I played FAR for a while, and while I loved it I got tired of having to endlessly tweak my planes. I switched to NEAR for 0.90 and it was a good balance between realistic and being able to just build and fly. I've been doing stock aero since 1.0 and so far my annoyances with it are largely due to trying to play it like NEAR, which was much more "slippery". My first spaceplane return landed in the desert to the west of KSC with my normal NEAR approach :rolleyes:. As I learn the new aero I'm liking it more and more, and I'm looking forward to see what kind of tweaks (if any) 1.0.3 will bring.

. . . I'm looking forward to see what kind of tweaks (if any) 1.0.3 will bring.

I expect it will turn down the drag just a bit (so those of us abusing airbrakes to avoid reentry heating better watch out), hopefully do away with the direct frickin duna returns w/out a heat shield. I'm on the fence about planes. I'm not sure whether or not they need to be more heat resistant or not.

Yes because I have a huge issue sometimes with drag with my planes. I am a vet at this game and rely on my older craft designs and they all suffered from drag issues due to the new aerodynamics in KSP so I had to relearn the whole building game ._.

Yes, planes are much more intuitive, easier and fun to fly now, even if building them is more of a challenge. And I like the fact you have to start turning almost immediately on a rocket launch, like in real life. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's certainly up to a high (read: good enough) standard now.

I expect it will turn down the drag just a bit (so those of us abusing airbrakes to avoid reentry heating better watch out)

This is what I hope for as well. I haven't even needed airbrakes on my planes, I just roll 90 degrees and start pitching like crazy if it looks like I'm about to overshoot and my velocity drops off fast. A couple times back and forth of this and I can land from 20km altitude at the mountain range. On the other hand, if it looks like I'm not going to make it to the KSC pitching up to stay high in the atmosphere also kills my velocity, and often leads to me landing where I would have if I had just pointed prograde from the start (or even sooner). It's tough to go very far in a glide.

It's good, I feel like with some drag tweaks it'll feel pretty close to oldFAR (never played with NEAR) only with some needed differences for stock. Excellent and fitting system where the old, useless placeholder was.

I love it, because its one less mod I need. Just wish the aerodynamic effects got more of an update along with it. I'd love to see some more visually impressive mach effects.

I'm really pleased with it. Squad should be commended. Yeah, it needs tweaking like Regex said above, but that was only to be expected. Sometimes Squad errs too far on the gamey side for my tastes, but as with orbital mechanics they pretty much got this one perfect -- a really nice balance between game play and simulation.

I like it, but I think I preferred 1.0's aero compared to 1.0.2. Planes in 1.0 where very stable when flown at 4x physics warp and I think that is important in order to make exploring Kerbin something that's fun to do. While 1.0.2's aero may be more realistic, I think 1.0 was more forgiving -> a bit more fun/accessible to new players while still being much better than it's soupy predecessor.

But pods in 1.0.2 don't flip around on re-entry as they did in 1.0 so that's a pro for 1.0.2. As other have said re-entry heat is disappointing (but it was irrelevant in both 1.0 and 1.0.2)

Small planes are a joke, you can turn hard and go from 400m/s to 50m/s in a second without any adverse effects.

I love that you can glide in from orbit and still be doing over 100m/s as you reach the runway, that is much more fun than it was in the soup.

So overall I like it, but I do have some issues with it, but on the whole it's better than 0.90.0 and before.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, planes are much more intuitive, easier and fun to fly now, even if building them is more of a challenge. And I like the fact you have to start turning almost immediately on a rocket launch, like in real life. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's certainly up to a high (read: good enough) standard now.

Really? I've found the opposite. I always used to start the turn at 10k but sincce 1.0 any turning while down in the thick atmosphere tends to flip my rocket all over the place.

I've been blasting straight up to over 20k then starting my turn aggressvively in the thinner air up high. I'll have to ive early turns a try as I alwasy feel like I'm wasting power on altitude when I should be using it for latral velocity.

I find the combination of radial attachments being insanely draggy (even when clipped), the rearmost part in a stack causing large amounts of drag even at supersonic speeds, and rockets being wobbly... not the best, shall I say.

Fuel lines in particular.

I wish the stock drag model did proper / reasonable part occlusion. Nothing fancy, just a check when parts change. Or at the very minimum struts and fuel lines didn't cause such absurd amounts of drag - struts are workarounds for engine limitations after all, and IRL you generally route fuel lines through the interior of the craft, if at all.

Other than that, I quite liked the 1.0 aero model, and personally think that 1.0.2 is hideous. I don't think I would have found it hideous if I hadn't seen 1.0 aero, but with the comparison it is... less than stellar.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? I've found the opposite. I always used to start the turn at 10k but sincce 1.0 any turning while down in the thick atmosphere tends to flip my rocket all over the place.

I've been blasting straight up to over 20k then starting my turn aggressvively in the thinner air up high. I'll have to ive early turns a try as I alwasy feel like I'm wasting power on altitude when I should be using it for latral velocity.

Prety much just give your craft a 5 degree tilt eastwards once you reach 80-100m/s and follow the surface prograde vector from there till your 25-30km up. As long as your craft is fairly streamlined you should get into orbit with little effort. be aware it wont work well if your TWR is exceptionaly low while a particularly high one will end up with a steeper accent profile than is ideal. 1.5-1.7TWR seems to still be a sweet spot from my experience.

Overall I very much like it. Planes are now enjoyable to fly, and atmospheric ascent is again a challenge. :) Do agree that heat shields should be made useful again and I also think that airbrakes should shear off if you use them at super/hypersonic velocities - if you want to slow down hard, do a high-altitude turn like the shuttle did. :)

The aerodynamics have really made it easier for me to build planes from scratch. Where as before I would attempt to build a simple jet of sorts and immediately crash it on the runway without even moving it. It was a great improvement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.