Navball frame of reference

First I apologize if the terms are not correct, english is not my first language.

I would suggest that we should be able to change the navball frame reference orientation without having to do "control from here" on another part because sometimes we have several engines that are not in the same direction. For exemple VTOL vehicles :

mini_6682222015052800011.jpg

you should be able to change orientation of the navball, or recalibrate it or reverse axis-directions simply with a key or a right-click action imo. i often have the problem that probes are upside-down, while the capsule is fine. so if i build a rocket with a capsule and a satellite attached to it, it often happens that the satellites orientation is reversed, which is quite annoying, because i have to mark the ships or remember them being upside-down in axis-directions.

You don't even need to be doing something odd to have the problem come up. The control axis of the landers is upwards, which works fine until you go to "yaw" (roll on its axis) from IVA and find that the rudder is reversed. Almost every time I try to do an IVA landing in one I end up crashing because at some point I forget that my twist-stick is backwards and I panic.

Control directions need to be more configurable in general. Not just the navball direction, but which axis counts as roll or yaw and in which direction. Changing the lander control axis to forwards would solve the IVA controls issue, but then the navball wouldn't be very useful as a landing aid.

The Plane Mode mod helps a lot with aircraft (it swaps roll and yaw for anything built in the spaceplane hangar), but it only solves a narrow range of problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.