A more custom space centre

I had an idea the other day to ask if there should be more than one runway and/or more than one launch pad (for redundancies and for different directions to launch without having to turn 180 degrees or splashing into the ocean). Then I thought of a way to put it into career mode: have it as just flat land, maybe faintly darker/lighter than the rest of the ground, and have the new runway (for example) become unlocked and usable. Then I thought "why shouldn't this apply to the whole space center?".

So you basically have a big area of land that you can build new buildings on that cost money. The editors and launch pads would be cheapest, with mission control following shortly after. The money could be raised with the automatic "world first" contracts...maybe. Or a notification comes up with "A very rich friend has placed a K$100,000 bet that you can't escape the atmosphere" or something. And then the barnyard comes in...

Anyone?

Customisating your space center sounds really good actually, Im tired of rolling my shuttles and losing that DV to just get a polar orbit. This would also open up more options like extra large runways

I seem to remember that when we had the new buildings done, it took them ages to model, having to model far more buildings could take ages and use plenty of man power that could be used else where. No to say its a bad idea, its a great idea, but for now i think kerbinside is the best option.

- Sam

I seem to remember that when we had the new buildings done, it took them ages to model, having to model far more buildings could take ages and use plenty of man power that could be used else where. No to say its a bad idea, its a great idea, but for now i think kerbinside is the best option.

- Sam

I'm not saying it should be done for the next update, but it could be like how their doing multiplayer - working on it over many updates. And it won't take too long for the most basic part of it - they could use existing models for new launch pads/runways, maybe as a place holder, and then only have to model a flat bit of land.

I'd be much more interested in the ability (tied to resources, funds, etc) to build facilities anywhere you like. Say the Mun.

On Kerbin, transportation can be assumed. Anywhere else, you'd have to land XXX tons of "construction equipment," then a small facility gets built in situ---like a VAB for airless worlds limited to certain parts/tonnages (dependent upon "supplies" being delivered, etc).

You want multiple launch pads, VABs an Mission Controls? Would they just be clones of the originals?

What I image is having copies of the launch pad and runway, and then some new, slightly altered textures of the other buildings might (hypothetically) come into the game at some point. Although I doubt few people would mind copies of the launch pad and runway. It's hard to think of a runway different to the one at KSC, really...

I'd be much more interested in the ability (tied to resources, funds, etc) to build facilities anywhere you like. Say the Mun.

On Kerbin, transportation can be assumed. Anywhere else, you'd have to land XXX tons of "construction equipment," then a small facility gets built in situ---like a VAB for airless worlds limited to certain parts/tonnages (dependent upon "supplies" being delivered, etc).

Oh man! That is a delicious idea!

So like extraplanetary launchpads without needing poor looking (sorry fans but I don't like the look of them), bulky and heavy machinery and needing a massive amount of different types of resources to function?...Count me in! You could even have some rewards for contracts being to increase how many supplies your base get's delivered and thus increase the size of your base.

And what if you could have multiple possible build sites per planet/moon that you detect with the scanners we got with 1.0? Squad, please, make this a thing!

what they could do instead is use the same models just that you can place them anywhere on the peninsula you would like at the lowest level and upgrade them the same way as career. Another similar idea I had was being able to launch more than one vessel at a time.

See I would go for having a single launchpad, but a runway pointing west and a runway pointing north. That way my SSTOs can go into either orbit based on which runway I chose to spawn it on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.