Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

It's under "Settings", below your subscribed threads.

If you haven't been warned or received any infractions, you obviously won't have one, but mine looks like this.

EDIT : Dang it, you ninja, you.

d2pPKEN.png?2

One of the things I like to stress about moderation action is that we aren't one big monolithic person. We have moderators of all "molds" as it were, and I think that is a good thing. You have no idea how sometimes simple questions devolve into lively discussions in our chat xD. Still, though some opaqueness is sometimes nescessary, I think that we try our very best (within our imperfect limits) to come to an equitable solution for all.

Edited by AmpsterMan

Hah, I censored any private info from that shot. You can find out if you have any infractions from your own profile page.

Nice disguise.

Fine. Have this carefully-selected snippet.

ZLNFnAW.png

See? They do happen. For a very short time before getting splattered.

Ohh, many mod tools! Shiny! What is "Administrative" and "Inline Mod"?

And what about that check box next to the post number, and the "IP" button in place of the rep button?

Are the moderator forums rep restricted, like the forum games?

And why is the forum games subforum rep restricted?

How do moderators decide whether to just remove posts, or lock the thread?

Thanks for your time.

What is "Administrative" and "Inline Mod"?

I haven't got a clue. (I am not one of the technically-inclined mods.)

And what about that check box next to the post number...

That's how we select the posts we want to apply mod actions to.

...and the "IP" button in place of the rep button?

No clue, part 2.

Mostly to avoid silliness like people repping each other as part of games and stuff.

Depends on how many posts are problems, how severe the problems are, and whether it's something that's likely to continue if we leave it in public view.

How we moderate and move threads or multiple posts easily.

And what about that check box next to the post number, and the "IP" button in place of the rep button?

The IP button allows us to see the IP of the user posting.

Certain parts are, certain parts are not.

Van, you should know all this :D

I haven't got a clue. (I am not one of the technically-inclined mods.)

That's how we select the posts we want to apply mod actions to.

No clue, part 2.

Mostly to avoid silliness like people repping each other as part of games and stuff.

Depends on how many posts are problems, how severe the problems are, and whether it's something that's likely to continue if we leave it in public view.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

How we moderate and move threads or multiple posts easily.

The IP button allows us to see the IP of the user posting.

They know where we live! Run!

Certain parts are, certain parts are not.

Van, you should know all this :D

Thank you, too!

Administrative:

oxcpmLS.png

"Inline Mod":

Jtf7VW4.png

For selecting the post (for then doing something with like deleting, unapproving, moving, spam-o-matic-ing...), and to get the IP address the post came from, respectively.

Fault Vault is, others aren't.

Good question, don't know.

Discretion and discussion.

Thanks for your time.

Not a problem.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Mad Rocket Scientist viewpost-right.png

Good question, don't know.

Two main reasons IIRC.

Way too many people trying too hard to get points in there, it was bad for actual discussions.

To encourage reputation to be related to direct KSP matters.

Not gospel, but basically how I recall it (not knowne to be very reliable my self ;) )

Can't speak for the other mods, but I get at least a half dozen a week, sometimes substantially more.

AFAIK all our users are human. Except Rainbowtrout, he's a mudkip. :P

Well, now that is all very subjective. I have a few college students that have called me "inhuman" because of me expecting academic performance at a certain standard. I actually had a student tell me last semester that I make Spock look like an amateur Vulcan...

whats the stander procedure if someone gets into your account and start posting random stuff that is offensive (that hasnt happened to me probably wont but you never know)

so you basically have to be really bad at following rules or just like to cause trouble to get banned? (green iron crown)

whats the stander procedure if someone gets into your account and start posting random stuff that is offensive (that hasnt happened to me probably wont but you never know)

It doesn't happen often enough for there to be a "standard procedure". We would handle claims of account hijacking on a case-by-case basis, and we need to make sure that it's not being used as a "misbehave and get out of jail free" card.

so you basically have to be really bad at following rules or just like to cause trouble to get banned? (green iron crown)

People are given many chances to clean up their act before we would consider banning them (except for spammers and duplicate accounts, those aren't tolerated). Rest assured that posters who have been banned have gone out of their way to earn it. Green Iron Crown was a test account/joke, not exactly the same thing.

Great thread! Thanks mods for all the work you do, and for making yourselves available here. I was wondering if you've seen a change/uptick in moderation action after V1.0 came out. I'm sure everyone has noticed a lot more very basic questions in the Gameplay section since then... perhaps some of our new members faced as steep a learning curve in understanding the established Forum culture as they did in trying to get their hastily-constructed rockets to stop flipping over :)

I was wondering if you've seen a change/uptick in moderation action after V1.0 came out.

Very much so. Lots of new users with their early posts to review, lots of posts made in the wrong areas that need moving, lots of users unfamiliar with the rules and culture here that need some gentle guidance. Also lots of arguing and complaining about 1.0 itself from veterans, most of which is fine but some of which requires our attention.

Hey guys, it's me again. About what time of the day are the most users on the forums?

In my experience, 4-9pm EST results in the largest (consistent) number of users, I may be entirely wrong in this

It seeems sometimes on the main page that you mods are not online, but really you are, as sometimes I see new posts right after I see no green names in the "users online now" list.

Is that a mod only feature, "Appear Off-line"? There have been occasions where I wished to PM a mod, so I've noticed these circumstances.

Or is it that the online user list at the bottom here doesnt list all users?

Edited by r4pt0r

To my knowledge, it's available to all users. If you open the Settings page and look at your General Settings, it should be one of the first things listed, by the name "Invisible Mode". :)