Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Carrying over the discussion . . .

Think of it this way: The forums need to be suitable for kids with helicopter parents, and over-sensitive web filters.

Fair enough fair enough.

I've seen cases though where, if a previous warning is provided, its left alone. Is there any official position on that or is that left up to discretion of the given mod at the given tine?

apologies for getting sidetracked

Could you elaborate on your question over in this thread?

Not trying to be an evil censorious mod here, I just don't quite understand what you are asking and want to avoid sidetracking the thread.

Thanks!

If someone posts a link to content considered PG-13+, obviously that can get snipped by mods, but I've seen cases where, when the person provides clear warning the content may not be suitable for all ages, it is left alone. Is there an official stance on this or is it pretty much just up to the discretion of the mod assessing it at the time?

The official stance is that non-PG content cannot be embedded or linked here, warning or no. If such content has been left alone it is likely that it was not brought to the attention of the moderation team.

For the most part we follow the Principle of Minimum Moderation and try to be reactive rather than proactive (one of our best moderators says we are firefighters, not police). Unless something we see is particularly egregious or so clearly in violation of the rules that we can't leave it be then we usually wait for someone to complain about it. The last thing we want is to be seen as eager to moderate or exercise our powers, so generally we do so reluctantly and as lightly as possible.

THat is singlehandedly the wisest thing I've heard a mod say on this form. ALso who among you uses the firefighters line? Because they deserve rep for that.

It's a seecret.

It's still a seecret.

sal_vager

if you block pg 13 content what if i post something from a pg 13 or m rated game BUT it dosnt show anything from the game other than a piece of paper or a Easter egg from a movie?

video game not movie

Edited by Ethanadams

I have a question though. I know swearing is against the rules here ( i think)

would linking to a youtube video with swearing in it break the rules?

If that is the case, SQUAD has broken the rules many, many, many times. (some KSP-TV streamers swear a lot)

cough cough jacksepticeye cough

but isnt squad allowed to do whatever they want?

I think that the language filter applies to all posts in the forums. Also, remember that Squad is an account that is run by moderators, and I don't think that they would want to have Squad getting away with something that a normal user couldn't.

Links to material that includes bad language is a grey area. We make decisions on a case-by-case basis. And several people have access to the Squad forum account. KasperVld posts many things on behalf of Squad, but I believe Squad members can also use it themselves. They almost never do, though, and go through Kasper instead. I don't think there's ever been an occasion where the moderators were opposed to something the Squad account wanted to post, but it is Squad's forum, so they'd have the final word.

This is all hypothetical, though, as there has never been a conflict. :)

Depends on time of day and how many moderators are active, and how much discussion about the report is required before deciding how to proceed. For something simple like a necro or "please lock" report it might only be a few minutes. Something more complicated or requiring an admin to look at might take hours.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

I spend about two or three hours checking stuff on the forums. Certain of us are moderation machines and spend a lot more.

That can be taken in two different ways. Do you mean that in total your time on the forums would equal 3 hours, or that you spend 3 checking on the forum, going to another webpage or something, coming back, playing a game for a bit, coming back.

If the latter I spend at least 7-8 hours every day on here. If the fore, It would probably total 2-3 hours total. :P

That can be taken in two different ways. Do you mean that in total your time on the forums would equal 3 hours, or that you spend 3 checking on the forum, going to another webpage or something, coming back, playing a game for a bit, coming back.

If the latter I spend at least 7-8 hours every day on here. If the fore, It would probably total 2-3 hours total. :P

Definitely the former. I hover here a fair bit ~16 hours a day but paying that much attention to the forums and none to my other obligations would result in problems.

Definitely the former. I hover here a fair bit ~16 hours a day but paying that much attention to the forums and none to my other obligations would result in problems.

Indeed.

The reason I don't stay on here constantly is for two reasons.

1: I have an active life, hanging out with friends, doing chores, going to the store

and 2: people don't post fast enough. :P Seriously I can follow like 50 threads throughout the day and there will be periods up to and more than an hour with no posts in any of them.

2: people don't post fast enough. :P Seriously I can follow like 50 threads throughout the day and there will be periods up to and more than an hour with no posts in any of them.

I hesitate to suggest this as it is a(nother) real time-eater, but join our IRC channel, the response time is much faster. Link at the top of the page.