Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Ok, I was typing the username too fast it seems... this thing is real picky about how you enter text.

Let's tag myself then: @steve_v

Cool. Not what I call obvious, but it works. It doesn't work if you paste the username or beat the loading spinner however. :huh:

4 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

...likely due to the  fat-fingered nature of my typing.

Usually not a problem here either, for the same reasons, but it seems that my typing speed is directly proportional to my frustration level, while accuracy is the inverse.

13 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

The Grey Dots are ranks.... a Mod will have X .... a member, fewer... and a new member... even less.  The mods decide who gets how many and at what point.  Imagine it like Star Trek.... a captain has 4 pips.... a Commander 3 pips and a dark pip....  a cadet has 1 pip....  assuming I can still remember the old TNG seasons I watched.

I have used most (as Admin) forum scripts so happy to jump in and help answer questions if the Moderators think that is OK.

They seem to be related to post count.

13 hours ago, steve_v said:

Ok, I'll take your word for it... for now.

On a slightly less whiny note, how are people adding those blue @<username> tags? It doesn't appear to detect me typing @<username>.

Hmm. @steve_v
Okay so it seems to be a little dialog box that pops up when you type the @<Something Here> message.
Does it go through without a confirmation? Testing: @steve_v
EDIT: Looks like a no on the second.

Edited by Starwhip

1 hour ago, mipmo said:

What should I do if i notice that I have posted a topic in the wrong subforum?

Ask here for it to be moved.

Edit: it seems the [notamod] command replacer in WYSIWYG doesn't work... :P

Edited by Gaarst

I also looked thru parameters for setting up or editing Activity Streams again... I also looked thru my Profile/Account settings, and i dont see any way to ignore, or remove specific forums from any Activity Stream... I dont know about others, but I'm getting a little bugged by all the (to me), senseless posts from the Lounge and Forum Games, cluttering up an already difficult to read page (Unread Threads - Activity Stream)... Especially since I cannot seem to effectively ignore or block the most active users there... :(

If I "Follow" a whole forum, and then have an Activity Stream set for ONLY things I follow, would that only show me forums I choose?... If I follow a whole forum, would I end up getting tons of notifications?

OMG!
On a side note, browsing the IPS site directly, I just came across this wonderful, simple tidbit.
(And before any of you post that "Duh!, you didnt know that?!?!"... I think there has been enough discussion about it already, and i dont believe anyone has posted this:

55e8704f41522_AllTopicsOnly-IPS4.1Previe

55e87068bc3c2_AllTopicsOnly-IPS4.1Previe

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Heh, I changed all my streams to condensed view a while back. :) 

If you want to ignore certain forums, make a new stream, under content types select "Topics", then under the gear icon select all forums but those you wish to ignore.

Did you POST about the condensed view??? :o ... lol :)

Well, I figured customizing the stream would do what I want, but again, it still doesnt seem to be working at all for me... ??, so i was wondering about viable "workarounds"...lol

Edited by Stone Blue

4 hours ago, EuSouONumero345 said:

Is it awesome to use the spam-o-matic

It is kind of fun, though we save copies of the most ridiculous spam for our amusement. And no, we won't share, because some of those are not fit to be seen in public. :D