Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

Not meaning to sound dumb, but what is the "spam-o-matic"?

I personally like my spam grilled and served under a bed of scrambled eggs with sharp cheddar cheese and some Tabasco sauce. :D

Edited by adsii1970

Spamomatic is a service that maintains lists of email accounts, user names, and IPs that have been used by spammers. Once placed on the list, any more post submissions from that identity are blocked. I believe blocked for all Spamomatic participants, but I'm not sure about that part. 

5 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Heh, I changed all my streams to condensed view a while back. :) 

If you want to ignore certain forums, make a new stream, under content types select "Topics", then under the gear icon select all forums but those you wish to ignore.

Could you be more specific? I cannot find the word "Topics" on any page in the forums I go to.

Oh, Ok. makes sense to me. We had to do that in one of the forums I moderated for for SimCity. The only problem we ran into with the IP addresses is that if the original spammer used Internet access from a university, library, or other public area, and we blocked the IP address, we would often (and unavoidably) block access to those with legitimate accounts that had the same IP as the offending party. Now granted, that was about four years ago, so I am assuming that different protocols are in place or are you using a combination of IP, user name, and email addresses?

We even tried shady looking email domains, but because a large number of our spammers had either Yahoo! or Excite email addresses, we could not place that entire email domain on the rejection list...

Where be the official bugtracker for this new forum thing? It all seems a bit disorganised around here, do we just keep spamming reports to random posts this section until some feedback appears or what?

Did we already have "How do I upload an image?" or "How do I share a craft file?". And some more questions came into my mind:

"What is the great forum derp of 2013?"

"What is the 'Rocket Builders' and the 'old forum' stuff people are talking about?"

"How do I edit my signature/my custom title/my profile picture?"

"How do I link images?" <- might get more common now.

Edited by Kerdinand

7 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Also:

"What do the dots under usernames mean?"
"How do I add rep to someone?"

7 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Oh, and "how do I change my avatar?" is  a common one.

7 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

and of course, who is Red Iron Crown and what really happened to Green Iron Crown... :D

4 hours ago, Kerdinand said:

Did we already have "How do I upload an image?" or "How do I share a craft file?". And some more questions came into my mind:

"What is the great forum derp of 2013?"

"What is the 'Rocket Builders' and the 'old forum' stuff people are talking about?"

"How do I edit my signature/my custom title/my profile picture?"

"How do I link images?" <- might get more common now.

Some great stuff here!

6 hours ago, Trann said:

Better yet, why is that red crown rolling forwards, then backwards, tilted upward, then downward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling!?

(I'm dizzy)

You know how some pet food bowls never seem like they will stop wobbling when you drop them?  Like that, but red and endlesssssssss............

So how does one actually pronounce @KasperVld? I alwas thought it was "Kasper Vlad", like "Vlad the Impaler", but I saw a Squadcast where Dr_Turkey made the same mistake, and KasperVld said that he was incorrect. He did not mention the correct spelling, however.

Does anyone know how to pronounce it and what it stands for?

Well, I´m no where near official but I always pronounce it like the german "Kasper", a kind of theatre character:

Kasper-201100277646.jpg

Then I pronounce the letters, one after one, all in german.

Hope I won´t get an infraction for "wrong pronouncing of the lead moderators name" :)